What to do when dealership screw up your car? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto:
What to do when dealership screw up your car?

I did oil change at Calgary BMW 2 times, and both times resulted in mechanics not tightening up the oil cap and caused engine lights to come on. Only when opened up the hood, I found massive oil spill all over the car engine and wires, and both times resulted in burning oil and burning smell filled up my car. Based on research, burning motor oils will shorten belts and anything plastics' lives, and replacement for wires and engines will just come a lot sooner than expected. Not to mention the hours going back and forth with dealership to get the mess cleaned up.

Did I mention this happened TWICE consecutively!

contacted dealerships - Initially they wanted to charge me $154/hour inspection fee unless I can prove they did it? Like seriously, my car engine light right after service, and they try to charge an inspection fee. They offered a free service, but why would I take that so they can mess up my car engine for a third time? They also claimed that there are no damages , but refused to put it in writing. (Even on my google review, the dealer was like "sorry can't locate your file")

contacted BMW canada - told me this is not their problem, told me to go sort it out with the dealer

contacted BMW NA - forwarded my email to BMW canada, and BMW Canada then told me they "noted it file", and dealer told them there is no damage, so they believe there is no damage to the car, but will not put anything in writing. If more concerns, go talk to the dealer. so basically exactly the same thing as my first contact with BMW Canada. Oh, they also said they trust the dealership mechanics are capable because they passed their licensed or whatever, even though this happened twice consecutively.

Any recommendations on what should I do in this case? certainly nobody at bmw seem to give a dime about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190228_215559.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	866477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190914_122253.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	866479  

Last edited by kpang; 09-30-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Find a better garage.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Yeah, all their techs have passes the formal training/certification process. Does them make them care? Right. In fact the ISTA instructions don't even call for closing the oil cap, so you can say they followed procedure:

"Pour in engine oil.

Note:
Start engine and run at idle until oil pressure warning lamp goes out.

Turn off engine

Check oil filter cap and screw plug (1) on oil sump for leaks."

Common sense is quite uncommon, I'm afraid. What can you do? Can you prove damages? Probably not. Give them a negative review on Google Maps, etc. Write them a letter of complaint. And yes, take your business elsewhere.

Last edited by Breach; 10-13-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Old 10-13-2019, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
I see a lot of people who have a drivers license but that doesn't mean they can drive.....
Old 10-13-2019, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
13 day old thread but, it looks like you have more than one dealership in your area. Go to a different one. Before you switch, make sure BMW Calgary has at least notes on paper of your complaint and what they found. Replace the belts if they got soaked. Wipe it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
dealership, don't care, irresponsible, mechanic, screw up

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search