Help! Text messages in the 2020 230xi - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Help! Text messages in the 2020 230xi

Hey all, I just brought my 230xi home from the dealership and was surprised to find out its lacking the ability to send/receive text messages via voice control? I have the comfort and premium packages, but not the wireless charging package.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 so CarPlay is out of the question.
Does the 2 series really not have text message integration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
I think you will find that without nav and wireless charging giving enhanced blutooth and other features, you will be only able to use voice command to access the phone via blutooth.I have been greatly disappointed with my 2020 230i without nav and connectdrive as well as voice command. However driving is wonderful and I am finding I really don't need them. I do use a garmin with its stand alone voice command ability occasionally.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
My 2018 receives & send voice messages with no issue via voice. I have Premium pkg which included the OEM Navi system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
Yes you get those features with the factory nav.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm all for voice commands and doing stuff while driving...
But texting when driving, although maybe legal with voice commands, is distracting you,
even mobile voice calls, I know people do that and they think their safe, but a lot of accidents caused like this
I answer on the BT and unless it's a quick yes or no, I tell them I'm driving
I use the SMS playback feature, when I'm stopped at lights

slightly OT with regards to this, but IMHO
drive safe !
Old 10-01-2019, 02:16 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
I'm all for voice commands and doing stuff while driving...
But texting when driving, although maybe legal with voice commands, is distracting you,
even mobile voice calls, I know people do that and they think their safe, but a lot of accidents caused like this
I answer on the BT and unless it's a quick yes or no, I tell them I'm driving
I use the SMS playback feature, when I'm stopped at lights

slightly OT with regards to this, but IMHO
drive safe !
Thank you!
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
= I know people do that and they think their safe, but a lot of accidents caused like this
Is there any evidence to back this up?

The technology factor without the GPS is pathetic and they deliberately mislead on this topic and I am not even sure why since not doing it might sell them more navs.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
yes, you've never heard of an accident reported on news/local media etc, where a person on a cellphone driving has been involved in an accident or a pedestrian has been run over whilst on a phone.

There have been loads of medical studies which show that talking on a phone whilst driving distracts you, there have been plenty of simulations, where people have been asked to have a phone conversation and then afterwards see how they think they did on drives.

Personally, I used to use h/free at work, I did one once, a long hour call, I literally got home on auto -pilot, and could not remember anything along the way,

Handsfree device Edit
Driving while using a handsfree cellular device is not safer than using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies,[1][2] epidemiological,[3][4] simulation,[5] and meta-analysis.[6][7] The increased cognitive workload involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk.[27][28][29] For example, a Carnegie Mellon University study found that merely listening to somebody speak on a phone caused a 37% drop in activity in the parietal lobe, where spatial tasks are managed.[30] Hands-free car kits are also called Car Phone Mounts. The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free.

wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Is there any evidence to back this up?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search