Will BMW Dealer install my non-RFT tires - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW z4
Will BMW Dealer install my non-RFT tires

I have a 2015 BMW 435i Sport Line RWD which needs a new pair a shoes for the winter. I purchased the car from Carvana but the cheap bastards advertised the car with 2x new tires. When I got the car in had the original run-flats on the front and a cheap off-brand $75 tire in the rear.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic so a solid High Performance All-Season Tire is what I settled on. Next summer I might get a second set of rims/summer tires. Anyway I purchased a set of 4x Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 which in my experience on my other BMW's is a solid option for the sporadic light to moderate snow that we get here in Delaware.

I bought the tires off TireRack and they are sitting in my garage. They are the exact size the owner's manual recommends.

My car is about 1500 miles from the 50k warranty expiration so I want to take my car in to get these tires put on and have a safety inspection done since this will be the first time since I've had it that it's been to the dealership.

I know for a fact that the drivers comfort access isn't working and the passenger rear seatbelt is malfunctioning so I plan on attempting to get those repaired on warranty (hopefully).

Other then those two minor issues I've already put 7,500 miles on the car without any issues (that I know of) and really been enjoying the vehicle. I like working on them myself. Not due to finances or anything, I just like doing those kinds of things myself. I changed all 4x pads/rotors, new air filter, and did an oil change myself.

Will my local BMW Dealer install, balance and align the tires, if I pay them, even if I didn't buy the tires from them?. I originally was going to get then installed at an Indy shop but am really trying to get the tires, CA Entry, and rear seatbelt fixed at the same time.

Also does anyone know if the dealer will provide a loaner if it's going to take over half a day (or longer) even though I didn't buy the car directly through them.

Thanks

Last edited by wliston86; 10-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Call and ask the dealer how much it costs and that will solve your question and get your tires installed. Since your paying for the install the dealer should be happy to make money.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Many (most?) BMW dealers will NOT install any equipment purchased outside of their dealership. I recommend you use one of the TireRack recommended indy's to handle your installation and then have your BMW dealer do an "inspection" - most times these are "free" ... check your preferred dealer's website for information & service "offers" and coupons.

On a related note >>> I feel you have a legitimate beef with Carvana ... if the circumstances are as you wrote you should chase that down.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
ShopBMWUSA.com has winter tire and wheel packages, and oddly (for BMW) they're reasonably priced. They're usually a smaller diameter wheel than what comes on cars with an M Sport Package, which will make them better at handling winter potholes. The tires and wheels are usually also the base size for the platform. Skinny tires is exactly what you want for snow; less contact patch means more bite.

Make sure the tire installer has a "lever-less" tire machine, to prevent your rims from getting scratched. Tire Rack's webpage lists installers in your area an the equipment they use.

A lot of BMW dealers refuse to install non-RFT's on cars that came with RFT's, even if you buy the non-RFT's from them. That's a warning sign that I'd probably a good idea to find somebody else to work on your car. We're moving to another state next year. I stopped by the local BMW dealership, asking if they repaired non-RFT tires. "No, you have to buy a new tire." Buh-bye! Fortunately, there's a really good indy' shop there, that specializes in BMW's and is owned by a former BMW NA instructor technician. They're also a Tire Rack recommended installer.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Some but not all dealers change tires. Check with the dealer. Same for the loaner.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Without adding any real help..

My question would be why you want to pay dealer labor rates to have your tires put on... Almost like asking to get bent over... IMHO..
Old 10-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
Without adding any real help..

My question would be why you want to pay dealer labor rates to have your tires put on... Almost like asking to get bent over... IMHO..
Not all BMW dealers overcharge for tire work. The BMW dealership I use charges $25 to install a tire, and they are willing to install mail-order tires.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW z4
I'll call them tomorrow and ask. It can't hurt. I just wanted to get a consensus which sounds like it's hit or miss. If everyone said they normally did it and they say "No" then I would of had some grounds to say "well every other dealer would install them".

But since some of you said they might and others said they don't if they say 'no' I'll just leave it lie and make two trips. One to the tire guy and one the the dealer.

Thanks for the help folks
Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2016 X5, 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Quote:
I recommend you use one of the TireRack recommended indy's to handle your installation and then have your BMW dealer do an "inspection" - most times these are "free" ... check your preferred dealer's website for information & service "offers" and coupons.
This was my thought also. Nice choice of tire, getting a set for my wife's X5 this week. RFTs be gone. TR shipped straight to trusted local shop that is TR recommended.

Wife's chariot - 2016 xDrive 3.5i, Sapphire over Black. M Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Driver Assist and Plus, Luxury and MultiContour Seats, Roof Rails, Harman Kardon

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search