e90 Window Washer Not Working - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2019, 01:22 AM
JohannB JohannB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
e90 Window Washer Not Working

Good day fellow BMW owners. I have a 2011 BMW 320D. My headlights washer system is working fine but my window washer does not spray any water. I have disconnected the pipe before it goes to the jets, but no water flowing from there so it is definitely not the jets that is clogged. The pump makes a noise when activated. Does the window washer and headlight washer have separate pumps or one pump serving both? Is there some sort of filter that can be clogged? Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,983
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yes, there are separate pumps. Yes, there is a strainer between the reservoir and a pump.

Www.NewTIS.info
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 AM
JohannB JohannB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
That was what I was thinking as well but the mechanic says it does not have a filter/strainer or he has never heard of it in any case. So it is either the pump is faulty or the filter is blocked. Thank you for the information.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:54 AM
gbalthrop gbalthrop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fairfax County, Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,286
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannB View Post
...2011 BMW 320D. My headlights washer system is working fine but my window [Windscreen?] washer does not spray any water. I have disconnected the pipe before it goes to the jets, but no water flowing from there so it is definitely not the jets that is clogged. The pump makes a noise when activated. Does the window washer and headlight washer have separate pumps or one pump serving both? Is there some sort of filter that can be clogged?
Welcome to the Forum!

You are asking all the correct questions. Best place to get correct answers is from TIS. Here is the "Wipe-Wash" (Wisch/Wasch) TIS circuit & the "Installation Location" for the Two Pumps, Windscreen Pump (M4) and Headlight Pump (M7):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/upOxh9C
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1Vnboos0u2

TIS circuit diagrams are interactive. You can click on any BLUE component ID# to get more information on that component. For instance, the 2nd link above, Installation Location for M4 or M7 can be accessed by simply clicking on "M4" or "M7". Similarly, the "Connector View" of M4 Connector X107, linked below, can be accessed by clicking on "X107":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...d-lim/HRMbElTT

How do you get access to the washer pump? TIS has a Procedure for that. Simply enter "Windscreen Washer Pump" in the search box and you get this procedure:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/EAU6nT2
NOTE the "Necessary Preliminary Tasks" -- click on the blue hyperlink and do ALL Necessary Preliminary Tasks related to Side Repeater Light & Wheel Arch.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/EAfM4R0

I would suggest testing the pump by having someone activate windscreen washer to see if the M4 pump runs. NOT sure how the headlight washer is triggered on your model, whether every time the windscreen washer runs, on 2nd occasion, etc. You will probably find that the pump you hear running is the headlight washer & NOT the windscreen pump. Remove the separate Connector X107 from the Windscreen Pump (M4) and test for 12V+ at Pin #1 of X107 (Black wire), and also Continuity to ground at Pin #2 (Brown wire). If those tests show voltage & ground, then pump is likely bad, assuming connector pins/sockets are clean & making good contact.

You can save yourself a lot of time, expense & hassle by learning how easy it is to use TIS and a cheap ($6) multimeter.

Please let us know what you find,
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 10-15-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM
JKRIT JKRIT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollis, NH
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,170
Mein Auto: '03 525i
When I took our E93 out of storage last Spring, the washers would not spray even though I could hear the pump running. It turned out that the reservoir was full of black mold/algae and clogging the inlet screen. Rather than remove the reservoir to clean it, which looks like a half-day job LOL, I repeatedly flushed it from the top using a small hose, and also back flushing with compressed air through the nozzle hose. The back flushing is what really stirred up tons of black gunk. I used a hand vacuum pump to suck everything out. Must have taken at least 8 cycles to get it clean enough to run. My guess is previous owner (in NC) didn't bother to use blue washer fluid which at least give you a chance at avoiding algae growth. So, if your pump is audible, but no spray, snake a small hose down the filler neck as far as you can and suck out some fluid to see what it looks like. BTW, there are a lot of hits if you internet search this subject, on lots of different kinds of cars.
__________________
'12 328i Cab Deep Sea Blu/Tan
'03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'03 530i Sterling Gray/Blk, SP
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,983
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I make my own windshield washer solution of distilled water (to avoid water spots) and methanol-denatured ethanol from the hardware store ($16/gallon). The ethanol denatures the biofilm slime, kills it, is a good wetting agent, solvent and anti-freeze. In the winter I keep the ethanol concentration pretty high, maybe 30%, and less in the summer. I use a lot of WW solution, and still have not convinced myself that I need new wiper inserts.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 PM
JohannB JohannB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

You are asking all the correct questions. Best place to get correct answers is from TIS. Here is the "Wipe-Wash" (Wisch/Wasch) TIS circuit & the "Installation Location" for the Two Pumps, Windscreen Pump (M4) and Headlight Pump (M7):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/upOxh9C
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1Vnboos0u2

TIS circuit diagrams are interactive. You can click on any BLUE component ID# to get more information on that component. For instance, the 2nd link above, Installation Location for M4 or M7 can be accessed by simply clicking on "M4" or "M7". Similarly, the "Connector View" of M4 Connector X107, linked below, can be accessed by clicking on "X107":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...d-lim/HRMbElTT

How do you get access to the washer pump? TIS has a Procedure for that. Simply enter "Windscreen Washer Pump" in the search box and you get this procedure:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/EAU6nT2
NOTE the "Necessary Preliminary Tasks" -- click on the blue hyperlink and do ALL Necessary Preliminary Tasks related to Side Repeater Light & Wheel Arch.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/EAfM4R0

I would suggest testing the pump by having someone activate windscreen washer to see if the M4 pump runs. NOT sure how the headlight washer is triggered on your model, whether every time the windscreen washer runs, on 2nd occasion, etc. You will probably find that the pump you hear running is the headlight washer & NOT the windscreen pump. Remove the separate Connector X107 from the Windscreen Pump (M4) and test for 12V+ at Pin #1 of X107 (Black wire), and also Continuity to ground at Pin #2 (Brown wire). If those tests show voltage & ground, then pump is likely bad, assuming connector pins/sockets are clean & making good contact.

You can save yourself a lot of time, expense & hassle by learning how easy it is to use TIS and a cheap ($6) multimeter.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Good day George thank you for the detailed information I appreciate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2019, 11:20 PM
JohannB JohannB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
When I took our E93 out of storage last Spring, the washers would not spray even though I could hear the pump running. It turned out that the reservoir was full of black mold/algae and clogging the inlet screen. Rather than remove the reservoir to clean it, which looks like a half-day job LOL, I repeatedly flushed it from the top using a small hose, and also back flushing with compressed air through the nozzle hose. The back flushing is what really stirred up tons of black gunk. I used a hand vacuum pump to suck everything out. Must have taken at least 8 cycles to get it clean enough to run. My guess is previous owner (in NC) didn't bother to use blue washer fluid which at least give you a chance at avoiding algae growth. So, if your pump is audible, but no spray, snake a small hose down the filler neck as far as you can and suck out some fluid to see what it looks like. BTW, there are a lot of hits if you internet search this subject, on lots of different kinds of cars.
Good day. Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. Most people either struggle with the pump or the jet nozzles. I will try the flushing first like you said hopefully that will solve the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 PM
JohannB JohannB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
I found the problem. Flushed the tank a couple times by blowing compressed air into the pipe that goes to the jet nozzles and sucking out the debris from the reservoir that looks like algae that formed over the years. It was a quick fix and it now works perfect. Thank you for the suggestions this page really helped.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2019, 07:15 AM
JKRIT JKRIT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollis, NH
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,170
Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannB View Post
I found the problem. Flushed the tank a couple times by blowing compressed air into the pipe that goes to the jet nozzles and sucking out the debris from the reservoir that looks like algae that formed over the years. It was a quick fix and it now works perfect. Thank you for the suggestions this page really helped.
Glad it worked out for you.
__________________
'12 328i Cab Deep Sea Blu/Tan
'03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'03 530i Sterling Gray/Blk, SP
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.