Oil Level Indicator - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: X-5 & 750li
Oil Level Indicator

How accurate are these? The reason I'm asking is because, I've been seeing a small puddle of oil underneath my X5 lately. It only does it overnight or after the SUV has been sitting for at least an hour or 2. Every time I check my oil level indicator, it says the oil level is ok and at max. I'm just wondering could these be off or are they pretty spot on. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil level indicator.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	868363  

Old 10-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Mademan View Post
How accurate are these? The reason I'm asking is because, I've been seeing a small puddle of oil underneath my X5 lately. It only does it overnight or after the SUV has been sitting for at least an hour or 2. Every time I check my oil level indicator, it says the oil level is ok and at max. I'm just wondering could these be off or are they pretty spot on. Please help!

The sensors can fail but you'd have to lose at least a quart for your level to fall below max. A tiny puddle will take quite a while to equal that.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Thanks!!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
To fill the min to max zone it is 1-1 1/2 quarts. To get to halfway low it takes at least a half quart of oil loss. Find your leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-16-2019, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Mademan View Post
Are you sure it is engine oil?
Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
I had a puddle of oil under my car and it was actually the passenger side engine mount leaking. I actually didn't know that they are filled with hydraulic fluid. That fluid will have a much different type of smell compared to engine oil. Just stick a flashlight down each side of the engine near cylinder 5 and 6 and see if the mounts look wet.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post

It could be transmission / power steering,/ brake fluid.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
These systems tend to real low as they get older. I've taken one BMW to 115k miles and another to currently 61k miles. The first one had both a low oil warning light and a dipstick. Toward the end, it was giving low oil warnings when the oil level was half way between MIN and MAX. The 61k-mile BMW gave me a low oil warning last week. Adding 300ml brought the indicated level back to half way between MIN and MAX, suggesting that I really hadn't consumed a liter/quart of oil. Since the resolution of the indicator is only 25% of the difference between MIN and MAX, it's possible that my car was really at 1/8th from MIN to MAX when I got the warning and is at 3/8ths from MIN to MAX after I added oil.

There's always some ambiguity about how much oil constitutes the difference between MIN and MAX. With a software update, the difference can be whatever BMW wants it to be. There was a service bulletin out a few years ago telling dealers to add two quarts to a V8 after getting a low oil warning.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
These systems tend to real low as they get older. I've taken one BMW to 115k miles and another to currently 61k miles. The first one had both a low oil warning light and a dipstick. Toward the end, it was giving low oil warnings when the oil level was half way between MIN and MAX. The 61k-mile BMW gave me a low oil warning last week. Adding 300ml brought the indicated level back to half way between MIN and MAX, suggesting that I really hadn't consumed a liter/quart of oil. Since the resolution of the indicator is only 25% of the difference between MIN and MAX, it's possible that my car was really at 1/8th from MIN to MAX when I got the warning and is at 3/8ths from MIN to MAX after I added oil.

There's always some ambiguity about how much oil constitutes the difference between MIN and MAX. With a software update, the difference can be whatever BMW wants it to be. There was a service bulletin out a few years ago telling dealers to add two quarts to a V8 after getting a low oil warning.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Well it is brown. Not sure but, the indicator says I'm fine was just concerned about the leak.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
For three years running my oil level condition sensor has failed high within a week or so of oil change and resetting the oil level indication. Thank goodness I have a dipstick.

Note that there is an outstanding still PuMA requirement ... off to fetch it ... Before replacing the oil level sensor
always note PuMA measure 29604954!

https://5series.net/forums/attachmen...9604954-01.pdf
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: E70 50i
"oil level too high' warning was removed/disabled in upgraded software. you can't tell if there is too much oil in the engine.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search