What do i need to look for when shopping a 535D - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto:
What do i need to look for when shopping a 535D

Hello everyone,

I am a long time BMW customer and i've recently changed role in within the company that i work for and i now have to drive much more than i used to (roughly 30k miles to 40k miles per year). I need space , a comfort ride and fuel economy which bring me to the 535D (2015 or 2016 models).

I've read alot on the forums about the bad quality of the diesel supplier in north america in general , the issue with the HFPF (not sure yet if it's common or rare) and the infamous DPF that can be potentially removed.

What should i look for when i am in the market of buying a used 535D , how can i find a model that could have an issue with their HFPF or the DPF. It's also pretty common in the used world that people backtrack their odometer , especially for a diesel vehicule i supposed so what should i look for beside the gas pedal wear and the stone chip on the front bumper?

PS : I couldnt find the answer because BMW extended their HFPF warranty to 10years but what are the potential cost of replacing a HFPF if it shatter in the fuel system outside of the warranty?

Thanks for your help!
Jonathan A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 535D X 2015
I have a 2015, Xdrive. Bought used at 60k, HPFP failed around 70k. It's sudden. So any text drive you do now is not a predictor of if, or when, it may fail. Some on this forum blame bad fuel. If you accept that logic, only buy a used one where the seller promises ***x1f609; they only put top tier fuel in it. If you don't think failure is related to fuel tier, then accept you are gambling. Most don't fail, so the odds are in your favor. I have an after market warranty, which didn't apply cuz BMW extended it to 100k as you say. I asked my SA and he said it's a $6k repair. Many posters here would highly advise the after market warranty.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535D X 2015
Test drive, not text drive. ***x1f926;***x200d;***x2642;***xfe0f;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 535d M-Sport
I just bought a 2016 535d M Sport. My criteria were 1. Had to be still under factory warranty for at least three more months to make sure that if it needs anything it would be covered by BMW at no cost and 2. A CPO. Iím already using #1 to replace front and rear rotors and pads, a new start/stop button and some trim pieces. The CPO is extra insurance for the first year of ownership. If the car is reliable for a year, chances are it would be a reliable car. I will count on the 10yr/120k miles HPFP warranty and the California and Federal emissions warranty to cover the DPF, EGR, SCR, etc. Iím very meticulous in maintaining my vehicles and with some luck, I hope I wonít have much of out of pocket expenses. BTW, Iíve paid $26700 for the car with the CPO included. Not fully loaded and I will miss the comfort seats and comfort close I had on my 2013 535i but has descent options such as MSport, drivers assistance, SAT, Premium package, heated front seats and the HK audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
2011 E90 M3 ESS VT1-550 (Sold)
2003 530i Sport - (Sold)
2004 X3 3.0i (Sold)
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 18 X5d , 14 535xd, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman_69 View Post
I have a 2015, Xdrive. I asked my SA and he said it's a $6k repair. Many posters here would highly advise the after market warranty.
Parts alone for our HPFP failure in 2017 were $9K+. That did not include labor which took a full week once they had parts. Fully covered by BMW.
'07X3si now in other hands,
'14 535d XDrive,
'18 X5 35d In break-in...
Old 10-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Based on what i just read from your reply , should i buy a used 535D from a BMW dealer and buy the extended warranty for an extra 3-4 years?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F10 550 & '13 F10 528
Also consider CarMax and a MaxCare warranty. Don't worry, you never have to use the terrible service shops at CarMax, you can take it to BMW and the warrenty still covers everything. We've done this for 3 BMW's now and and are very happy with how it works.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 535d M-Sport
It doesn't have to be from a BMW dealer if you buy an external warranty like Route66 and not CPO. However, a CPO gives you some peace of mind that the dealer has inspected the vehicle and it is CPO capable, in other words no accidents, no lemons and buybacks, etc. I hear great things about Carmax too.

When the price of a fully loaded 535d is too good to be true, there's is always a catch. It has either been in accident(s), has mechanical issues or it is a buyback (a lemon). No matter what you do, don't buy a buyback. BMW will not cover any warranty repairs on buybacks. Check the carfax and make sure you know what you sign. When I shop for a car, I always skip the cars with no free carfax as the dealer may try to hide something. They want you into their lot so they can do what they do best. To convince you that the car is in great condition and the buyback was due to a minor problem that was fixed by their mechanics, or parts were in shortage and BMW had to buy the car back, etc. A bad carfax will keep you away; they don't want that. I've also heard stories were shady dealers will slip a buyback statement for you to sign during all the paperwork signing. They are relying on your excitement to overlook that, or change the topic to distract you. Just be careful, buy from a reputable dealer and be aware of scams and I'm sure you will find a great car soon.

GL.
2011 E90 M3 ESS VT1-550 (Sold)
2003 530i Sport - (Sold)
2004 X3 3.0i (Sold)
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)

Last edited by dkotanto; 10-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F10 550 & '13 F10 528
I believe CarMax has a 7-day no-questions asked return policy (at least in California they do), as well as 30-day we'll fix anything (seriously - anything) wrong on the car policy too.

What I have done many times is buy a nice clean looking BMW from CarMax, then immediately take it to BMW and pay them to give it a full inspection and provide a report of everything wrong with it - I then return to CarMax and give them the list - they fix it, or when they can't they send it to BMW anyway. After that, I have another 5 years or 100,000 miles of bumper to bumper warrenty I can use at BMW.

Seriously, it's a great worry-free version of used-car ownership. Is it the cheapest way to get into a BMW? Nope. You're going to be paying market value + warranty cost. But it's so nice to buy a used BMW, and have the experience be like owning a new one - except you're not taking the biggest depreciation hit.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
That's smart, Krynos. Unfortunately, when I was shopping for a car all the decent BMW's I found at Carmax (up here in the northeast) had red flags on the carfax like prior accidents. I will file your idea away for future reference though!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameboy1696 View Post
Based on what i just read from your reply , should i buy a used 535D from a BMW dealer and buy the extended warranty for an extra 3-4 years?
Yes, I think you should, especially considering how much mileage you plan to put on the car. I bought my 2015 535 M Sport from a reputable dealership a year ago with CPO and I extended both the warranty and maintenance for another year, then extended the maintenance for a second year. The extra cost was worth the peace of mind to me. I've had a Route 66 extended warranty in the past on my 2009 BMW 550i M Sport and I'm glad I did. I exhausted the warranty when the claims paid became equivalent to the black book value of the car. Nonetheless I plan to refinance my current loan with PenFed and buy a Route 66 extended warranty when my CPO warranty expires. It's a good warranty and the company's claims adjusters are pretty reasonable.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 28d, 2016 535d
The uncertainty expressed by flameboy concerning the purchase of a 535d seems to me a issue for all used high-end vehicles (mainly from Germany). Why do expensive German cars depreciate so quickly? My guess is the high cost of repairs after their warranty ends. In this case, I don't think buying a used diesel is really the issue, it's buying a used BMW period. One could argue that the diesels are problematic, but why is there a class-action pending for BMW's 2 Lite engine due to timing chain failures? The 550's appear to burn oil more than they should and the 535i's, while a great engine, seem to spring leaks due to plastic parts breaking. I am not familiar with MB's and Audi's but they too must have expensive issues or their resale values would not fall as fast as they do. Currently my two (diesels) BMW are under factory and/or CPO warranties, but my worry is the disposition of these vehicles when the respective warranties expire.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Wow thanks everyone for all the replies , I've decided to go ahead and signed the paperwork for a 535D 2015 with m package & the confort seats (https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/d687106) . The vehicle has the B39 color code (mineral gray) , has actually 71k KM. The dealer offered me to make the vehicle ''CPO'' for an extra 1029$ (CAD) - powertrain warranty for the 5th year of the original 4 years oem warranty. He also offered me various CPO PLATINUM VSC extended warranty. The additional cost on top of the 29k$ CAD that i am paying for the vehicle including the 1029$ mentioned above is 7000$ for 4 years unlimited KM , i find it somehow attractive because of the high millage that i will put on the car and also the fact that if something goes south on a 5 series , the invoice will be going north ahah.

Do you guys think that 7000$ CAD for an unlimited kilometer / 4 years is a valuable offer? I don't have a lot of knowledges on 3rd party car extended warranty , so i'd rather stick with the OEM one for now. The sales guys also told me that if I take that CPO deal the repairs done by the mechanics will be done with higher quality components (especially for brakes and tire) - not sure if that was sales bull**** or if he was honest.

Cheers,
Jonathan A.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Ps : 7000$ cad = 5300 usd
Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 535i MSport
Thatís a bit expensive but considering the high mileage youíll be driving itís absolutely worth the investment. I donít think the mechanics will handle your car any differently though. Youíre buying peace of mind because parts wear out with use and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
I consider my situation a bit similar in that I put a lot of miles on my 2016 535d and now am out of warranty. The things that worry me are the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) and the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) mechanism as well as various NOx and other sensors going bad (this is not my first dance with modern common rail diesels). Many also worry about carbon buildup (CBU) which is usually I hear treated as normal maintenance (I have had high mileage direct injection diesels with no need for cleaning). What seems to wear out are suspension bushings and transmission fluid so both may need changing as wear items.

The HPFP and DEF have an extended warranty from BMW I hear up to 120,000 miles and the wear items are not covered by purchased extended warranties. Other than that, perhaps the AC compressor and alternator occasionally break as well as the rubber fan belt pulley thingy. Some BMW's of this vintage have problems with leaky valve cover, EGR cooler (also under recall), and oil filter housing gaskets. My friend the automotive engineer also mentions that BMW's of late run their engine compartments very hot (for emissions compliance) so pay attention to rubber pieces like fan belts and hoses. I have experience with having the automatic transmission fluid changed more frequently than recommended (although ZF seems to say 60-80,000 mile intervals are good).

I consider my own extended warranty to be superior - I've saved quite a bit not getting them over the years - but I also usually get a new car and take good care of it. The dealer and other entity extended warranties i feel are mostly profit centers. I also do not look forward to dealing with warranty company denials which seem to be common.

I don't use mysterious all-doing aftermarket additives, go on long trips in hot weather, always use fuel from top-tier sellers with busy pumps, and do not abuse the car (which I believe is common for those that lease their "ultimate driving machines" which are not Porsches). I usually hire the best private mechanics, and along with my Italian food/pizza guy, feel they are part of the family, ha ha.

My current 535d has over 70,000 miles and so far has been superior to my past standard-bearing Mercedes E320 CDI in both interior durability, repairs, power, and fuel economy. Savings of over $10,000 on diesel over premium over around 200,000 miles also helps a bit with budgeting for such a wonderful premium car. BTW, current 5-series are favored over Tesla model S cars in surveys by owners, apparently.

Budgeting at least $2,000 per year for maintenance and repairs for a premium car is probably wise. The only thing an extended warranty can do is help when a much more expensive problem occurs, which has so far been rare in my case (never - the E320 went 350,000 miles, including the original transmission, before my mechanic's wife let go of it).

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 10-21-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Here's the PDF that list of items covered by the CPO VSC package : https://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/m...8121997928.pdf
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 535d M-Sport
Great choice, I just bought mine a few months ago, went extended warranty unlimited yrs/ 100,000km - $4,000cad, paid $32,000 for the car. (https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/d686969)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d , 2015 740li
Look mainly at service records, or buy super low mileage one. Look at Malone tuning if extra power/torque is needed.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM
MattM

Mein Auto: 1996 318i/2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameboy1696 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a long time BMW customer and i've recently changed role in within the company that i work for and i now have to drive much more than i used to (roughly 30k miles to 40k miles per year). I need space , a comfort ride and fuel economy which bring me to the 535D (2015 or 2016 models).

I've read alot on the forums about the bad quality of the diesel supplier in north america in general , the issue with the HFPF (not sure yet if it's common or rare) and the infamous DPF that can be potentially removed.

What should i look for when i am in the market of buying a used 535D , how can i find a model that could have an issue with their HFPF or the DPF. It's also pretty common in the used world that people backtrack their odometer , especially for a diesel vehicule i supposed so what should i look for beside the gas pedal wear and the stone chip on the front bumper?

PS : I couldnt find the answer because BMW extended their HFPF warranty to 10years but what are the potential cost of replacing a HFPF if it shatter in the fuel system outside of the warranty?

Thanks for your help!
Jonathan A.
Here's the simple executive version: Run away, run away, run away. I'm a former 2010 335d owner. BMW hasn't got the diesel thing down.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynos View Post
I believe CarMax has a 7-day no-questions asked return policy (at least in California they do), as well as 30-day we'll fix anything (seriously - anything) wrong on the car policy too.

What I have done many times is buy a nice clean looking BMW from CarMax, then immediately take it to BMW and pay them to give it a full inspection and provide a report of everything wrong with it - I then return to CarMax and give them the list - they fix it, or when they can't they send it to BMW anyway. After that, I have another 5 years or 100,000 miles of bumper to bumper warrenty I can use at BMW.

Seriously, it's a great worry-free version of used-car ownership. Is it the cheapest way to get into a BMW? Nope. You're going to be paying market value + warranty cost. But it's so nice to buy a used BMW, and have the experience be like owning a new one - except you're not taking the biggest depreciation hit.
very interesting strategy. I am going to look into this. Thank you for taking the time to put this post together.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Here's the simple executive version: Run away, run away, run away. I'm a former 2010 335d owner. BMW hasn't got the diesel thing down.
My late build 335d had at least 3 updates for its digital engine management module for just the 2011 year alone. The 535d is massively improved over the 2010 335d. Critical components like the HPFP and DEF mechanism are warrantied 10 years/120,000 miles. HPFP for BMW has a special extra coating for potential low lubricity fuel.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search