Pardon my ignorance, but need some help... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Pardon my ignorance, but need some help...

Hi Folks! New to the forum and here's the situation: my elderly mother has a 2011 328i xDrive. It's a 6-speed manual with only 46K miles on it. She loves the car but has had terrible luck with it in that it's been side-swiped and run into several times. After the latest fiasco, her mechanic did a closer inspection and itemized about $4K in recommended repairs:

2 tires
Front brake job (includes replacing rotted rotors)
Rear shocks & shock mounts
Replace electric water pump & thermostat
Replace Ground Strap

She recently went to the dealer to see about leasing a smaller 2 series and they offered her $3K in trade. I told her I'd give her the $3K and spend another $1K to ship it out to me Arizona (she lives in New England).

I'm not a mechanic, but I do a fair amount of work on my Acura TL's. I'm trying to assess how difficult some of this work actually is. I wouldn't touch the brake job, but think I could do most of the rest. Here are some questions:

1. Where do you guys get the best prices on OEM & aftermarket parts
2. How the heck do I find the part number for this "ground strap"? It's green and braided and I can't seem to find it on any of the BMW Parts sites.

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts for trying some of this stuff, but the car looks and drives like new despite all the body work that's been done over the years. I just can't let a dealer have it for $3K.

Happy to post pics of the parts the mechanic identified as needing work.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Low mileage might make it worth a little more but that sounds about what a dealer would give, they aren't trying to screw her personally.
Look up part numbers at realoem.com.
Buy parts online (incomplete and in no particular order): fcpeuro, ecstuning, oembimmerparts, pelicanparts, ...just google the 11 digit BMW part number.
Won't touch the brakes but think you can do the water pump? Did they give a reason why they want to change the water pump? Make sure to watch some DIY videos (especially on that water pump!!!) before you go buying parts. Everything else on that list is pretty simple.

Welcome to the 'fest!

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Elderly? I'm 70 and Milady Wife is 80 and we are each still driving but very aware of the effects of our advancing years - with no hits, no runs and no misses so far. That's why we moved up to the X5 so that the larger vehicle will have a better chance of protecting us when it must.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.nanimous View Post
Low mileage might make it worth a little more but that sounds about what a dealer would give, they aren't trying to screw her personally.
Buy parts online (incomplete and in no particular order): fcpeuro, ecstuning, oembimmerparts, pelicanparts, ...just google the 11 digit BMW part number.
Won't touch the brakes but think you can do the water pump? Did they give a reason why they want to change the water pump? Make sure to watch some DIY videos (especially on that water pump!!!) before you go buying parts. Everything else on that list is pretty simple.
Thank you for the reply! Not wanting to deal with the brakes has more to do with my aversion to working with anything that requires bleeding and refilling fluids correctly (other than coolant). After watching some videos, I agree that the brake job doesn't look too bad and that the water pump would be the biggest undertaking. The reason given for replacing the water pump on the estimate was, "PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND FAULT CODES FOR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, 9 TIMES." Not sure if that has anything to do with the fraying ground strap, but am open to suggestions.

I still cannot find the correct "ground strap" for her vehicle. I think it's this, but the site says it doesn't fit her 2011 328i xDrive:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nd-12427551714

I've attached a picture of the strap that the mechanic provided. If you can show me the exact part or how to locate it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	868549  
Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Elderly? I'm 70 and Milady Wife is 80 and we are each still driving but very aware of the effects of our advancing years - with no hits, no runs and no misses so far. That's why we moved up to the X5 so that the larger vehicle will have a better chance of protecting us when it must.
Meant absolutely no disrespect. My mother will be 74 in a few weeks, but she's a bit frail and generally more anxious as she ages. Ironically, she wants to downsize to something smaller (e.g., MINI Clubman or BMW 2 series) thinking it will be easier for her to maneuver and park on her street. I personally hate the idea primarily for safety concerns.

She's got zero tolerance for all this talk about repairs, etc. I'm just trying to distill all the info into simple options I can present so she can make a prudent decision. Based on estimates I've made scouring the web, I think parts would be somewhere in the $1100-1250 range. If I can find an independent shop to do the labor at a reasonable rate, I think we could get just about everything fixed for around $2K (about half of what she was quoted). That would be far more financially prudent than taking on a new lease, but would come with the caveats that she'd still need to deal with future maintenance and repairs. Otherwise, she could get a package from the dealer to cover all these headaches, but at a cost, of course.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 M#
I can't see the car, but he's probably only replacing the water pump as prevention. Unless you live in NYC, I can't imagine that you need shocks and mounts. The rest of the stuff you can do yourself.

Use NewTis for repair info.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Apologies if this is a double-post, but I replied already and don't see it listed. Perhaps I'm in "posting probation" given my recent membership?

Thank you for the reply! Not wanting to deal with the brakes has more to do with my aversion to working with anything that requires bleeding and refilling fluids correctly (other than coolant). After watching some videos, I agree that the brake job doesn't look too bad and that the water pump would be the biggest undertaking. The reason given for replacing the water pump on the estimate was, "PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND FAULT CODES FOR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, 9 TIMES." Not sure if that has anything to do with the fraying ground strap, but am open to suggestions.

I still cannot find the correct "ground strap" for her vehicle. I think it's this, but the site says it doesn't fit her 2011 328i xDrive:

I've attached a picture of the strap that the mechanic provided. If you can show me the exact part or how to locate it, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
ID:	868565  
Old 10-17-2019, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamcop01 View Post
...my elderly mother has a 2011 328i xDrive. It's a 6-speed manual with only 46K miles on it. She loves the car but has had terrible luck with it in that it's been side-swiped and run into several times. After the latest fiasco, her mechanic did a closer inspection and itemized about $4K in recommended repairs:
2 tires [THAT is a clue -- you do NOT install 2 new tires on an AWD/xDrive vehicle]
Front brake job (includes replacing rotted rotors) [define "rotted" -- @ 46k miles if rotors aren't clean after pads applied to wear off surface rust, something else is wrong, such as guide pins; at that mileage, rotor thickness/wear should NOT be a problem; probably on original pads F&R]
Rear shocks & shock mounts [WHY -- what is worn, broken or ride condition?]
Replace electric water pump & thermostat [my 2007 328xi has original coolant pump @ 134k miles -- NO Codes, No temp issues, NO Speed Deviation (Activating with INPA); WHY is he recommending replacment? WHAT codes, warning lights, temp readings, etc.?]
Replace Ground Strap [WHY & which one? -- there is a small one on Upper-Right of engine, and Large one Under Left of engine near starter. As long as Starter turns normal RPM, the Large ground strap is doing its job]

She recently went to the dealer to see about leasing a smaller 2 series and they offered her $3K in trade. I told her I'd give her the $3K and spend another $1K to ship it out to me Arizona (she lives in New England). [WHAT did any insurance company pay on the "latest fiasco"? If $3,000 or more paid by insurance for repairs, add the salvage value of a 2011 328xi to whatever was paid, and the FMV (Fair Market Value), as "Low-balled" by the insurer, of the vehicle at the time of the repair was MORE than that number (or they would have "totaled" it). Use AutoTrader with HER zip code to get asking prices for comparable vehicles in her area, and you will probably see asking prices near $10K, particularly for any vehicle less than 100,000 miles]...
Here are some questions:...Happy to post pics of the parts the mechanic identified as needing work. [Might Help ]
Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like the Sharks are circling your Mother.
That conclusion is based upon the specific observations made above. Without actual inspection and evaluation of the vehicle, who can say for sure? As far as your specific concerns about doing your own work on an 8 year-old BMW 328xi with 46K miles, I would provide some facts & opinions.

The N52KP engine (or N51 perhaps) in that vehicle, normally-aspirated 6 cylinder, is a very reliable engine, capable of providing excellent service for > 200,000 miles, and normally, NO service of anything in the Transmission or Transfer Case needs to be done in first 100,000 miles. Brake jobs are simple, even changing front rotors, if you have ever installed brake pads. Rear Shock replacement is relatively simple. Front strut replacement on xDrive is NOT simple, but that should NOT be necessary on 8 year-old vehicle with 46K miles, and your "mechanic's wish list" does NOT include front struts, and I can't think of any reason why rear shocks would need replacement BEFORE front struts. Reason you do NOT install 2 new tires on xDrive, resulting in tread depth difference of more than several millimeters, is that will cause wear to AWD components: Transfer Case and/or Differentials.

I have done ALL my own maintenance & repairs over the years (except automatic transmission repair/rebuild), and the E9x BMW models have EXCELLENT references and diagnostic software available, MOST of it FREE. RealOEM.com is an Online Parts Catalog. Part suppliers are plentiful with reasonably-priced OEM parts (Autohaus AZ is near you ;-). TIS Online Service Manual, Bentley Manual in searchable pdf format, BMW Standard Tools (INPA), or ISTA (Rheingold) are FREE downloads for installation on Windows 10 Laptop. All you need to add for Dealer/Factory level diagnostic capability is a $45 K+DCAN cable to connect your laptop to the OBD II Socket.

See the attached pdf: "E9x References" for links to ALL those items & MORE.

Hope to see you as a regular Forum Member.
George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325i and 99 R1100RT
Quote:
I'm not a mechanic, but I do a fair amount of work on my Acura TL's. I'm trying to assess how difficult some of this work actually is. I wouldn't touch the brake job, but think I could do most of the rest.
A brake job can be done with very basic tools. Why would you pay somebody most likely hundreds of dollars just in labor to do it???
Plus a bunch of others...
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto:
To all those who've been posting, thank you! I have submitted replies, but it appears I'm in a "posting probation" period where a moderator needs to review them before they go live. I will respond to all the wonderful comments and suggestions as soon as my probation has been lifted!

Oooh: looks like this post actually posted, although my previous ones still can't be seen. I will repost my replies as soon as I'm able!

Last edited by spamcop01; 10-17-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Darnit, just tried to submit a quoted reply with an attachment for the 3rd time and received a message saying a moderator had to approve it before it could be seen. Not sure what else to do at this point unless...one of you is a moderator?
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Darnit, just tried to submit a quoted reply with an attachment for the 3rd time and received a message saying a moderator had to approve it before it could be seen. Not sure what else to do at this point unless...one of you is a moderator?
Apparently you can "Post Reply" but NOT do a "QUOTE". So just say whatever you'd like in "Reply" to the thread (without using quote). We'll "get the message."

George
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto:
And...I'm back! OK, I will do the Poor Man's Quote function and try to fill in the gaps...

To Doug Huffman:

Meant absolutely no disrespect. My mother will be 74 in a few weeks, but she's a bit frail and generally more anxious as she ages. Ironically, she wants to downsize to something smaller (e.g., MINI Clubman or BMW 2 series) thinking it will be easier for her to maneuver and park on her street. I personally hate the idea primarily for safety concerns.

She's got zero tolerance for all this talk about repairs, etc. I'm just trying to distill all the info into simple options I can present so she can make a prudent decision. Based on estimates I've made scouring the web, I think parts would be somewhere in the $1100-1250 range. If I can find an independent shop to do the labor at a reasonable rate, I think we could get just about everything fixed for around $2K (about half of what she was quoted). That would be far more financially prudent than taking on a new lease, but would come with the caveats that she'd still need to deal with future maintenance and repairs. Otherwise, she could get a package from the dealer to cover all these headaches, but at a cost, of course.

To u.nanimous:

I've attached a picture of the strap that the mechanic provided. He noted "GROUND STRAP CORRODED AND FRAYING." If you can show me the exact part or how to locate it, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

More replies and pictures to follow!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	13
ID:	868599  
Old 10-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Just tried again without the "quote" feature, but with a photo attachment and got the same message about a moderator needing to approve it before it can be viewed. So I'm guessing it's the picture attachment that's hosing me...

Can someone help a brotha out and get me cleared to post replies with quotes and pictures? Trying to verbally communicate all this stuff is going to be really tedious...
Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto:
And...I'm back! OK, I will do the Poor Man's Quote function and try to fill in the gaps...

To Doug Huffman:

To u.nanimous:

I would attach a picture of the strap that the mechanic provided (if I had permissions to post a picture). He noted "GROUND STRAP CORRODED AND FRAYING." If you can show me the exact part or how to locate it, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

More replies (and someday pictures) to follow!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like the Sharks are circling your Mother.
That conclusion is based upon the specific observations made above. Without actual inspection and evaluation of the vehicle, who can say for sure? As far as your specific concerns about doing your own work on an 8 year-old BMW 328xi with 46K miles, I would provide some facts & opinions.

The N52KP engine (or N51 perhaps) in that vehicle, normally-aspirated 6 cylinder, is a very reliable engine, capable of providing excellent service for > 200,000 miles, and normally, NO service of anything in the Transmission or Transfer Case needs to be done in first 100,000 miles. Brake jobs are simple, even changing front rotors, if you have ever installed brake pads. Rear Shock replacement is relatively simple. Front strut replacement on xDrive is NOT simple, but that should NOT be necessary on 8 year-old vehicle with 46K miles, and your "mechanic's wish list" does NOT include front struts, and I can't think of any reason why rear shocks would need replacement BEFORE front struts. Reason you do NOT install 2 new tires on xDrive, resulting in tread depth difference of more than several millimeters, is that will cause wear to AWD components: Transfer Case and/or Differentials.

I have done ALL my own maintenance & repairs over the years (except automatic transmission repair/rebuild), and the E9x BMW models have EXCELLENT references and diagnostic software available, MOST of it FREE. RealOEM.com is an Online Parts Catalog. Part suppliers are plentiful with reasonably-priced OEM parts (Autohaus AZ is near you ;-). TIS Online Service Manual, Bentley Manual in searchable pdf format, BMW Standard Tools (INPA), or ISTA (Rheingold) are FREE downloads for installation on Windows 10 Laptop. All you need to add for Dealer/Factory level diagnostic capability is a $45 K+DCAN cable to connect your laptop to the OBD II Socket.

See the attached pdf: "E9x References" for links to ALL those items & MORE.

Hope to see you as a regular Forum Member.
George
George, thank you for the warm welcome and the wealth of information! Here is the full text from the 3rd Party BMW shop's evaluation of her vehicle:

"CUSTOMER STATES STEERING WHEEL IS TIGHT WHEN TURNING. PERFORMED CHECK, FOUND STEERING RACK, LOWER JOINT ASSEMBLY, AND P/S PUMP OKAY. INSPECTED TIRES, FOUND LEFT FRONT TIRE IRREGULARLY WORN, SCALLOPED, AT 5/32NDS TREAD, AND DOT NUMBER FROM 2011. LEFT REAR AND RIGHT FRONT FROM 2017, RIGHT REAR FROM 2014, AT 6/32NDS. NO SIGNS OF ALIGNMENT DONE ON TIE RODS OR REAR ADJUSTERS. RECOMMEND REPLACING TWO OLDEST AND WORN TIRES AND PERFORMING ALIGNMENT. FRONT BRAKE ROTORS ROTTED, VERY RUSTY, PADS LOW. GROUND STRAP CORRODED AND FRAYING. REAR SHOCKS BLOWN, RIGHT REAR IS LEAKING. PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND FAULT CODES FOR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, 9 TIMES. ADVISED CUSTOMER."

I will gladly post pictures of some of what they found as soon as I get the privileges to do so. Actually, I may try to post them to a web gallery and then just post a link (if it lets me do that).

I don't have any information beyond what was provided in text above. I suspect the grounding strap is preventative because it's frayed/corroding. One of the four tires was so badly worn that the body shop guy (who's helped her for years and referred her to the BMW shop) had them replace it. I do not know exactly what brand or sizes of tires are on the vehicle but will attempt to find out. When I went to price 4 new tires from a local chain with her xDrive model, it specified different sizes for fronts and rears:

Front: 225/40R18
Rear: 255/35R18

Then when I did the same search at a Sullivan Tire and selected "Sedan," it came back with only one size that was much different:

205/55R16

So what are the stock/recommended sizes on this vehicle? I don't know if she has a "Sport Package" or if the sizes are staggered, but again, I will try to get the info.

This begs one other question: how can I find out what options or packages were installed on her vehicle? She bought it used from a BMW dealership with 8,651 miles on it.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Hope I'm allowed to post a link!

OK folks, I've uploaded a few pics of the vehicle. The first couple are examples of what my mother has had to endure owning this car (I believe this was the 3rd of 4 total accidents). The next two show it in happier times post body work from the May accident. After that are the five pics provided by the BMW repair shop and should be pretty self explanatory. Lastly, I've included screen shots of the top and bottom of their recent repair estimate (names were removed to protect the innocent!).

Hope this sheds some light on things and please keep the feedback coming!! Here's the link:

http://bit.ly/2011-328ix

Last edited by spamcop01; 10-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
To u.nanimous:

Changing pads and rotors does not require doing anything with brake fluid but the water pump requires refilling the coolant, and on these cars that means following a special procedure.

George always makes good points, he knows these cars quite well...so I guess I'll ask, did this list come from an inpection for trade-in value or did she take it in because something was wrong? Edit: Oops, somehow I missed that post.

I approved your posts, hopefully everything will show now.

To find out how the car was optioned fron the factory, get the VIN and use one of the many online BMW VIN decoders.

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG

Last edited by u.nanimous; 10-17-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Changing pads and rotors does not require doing anything with brake fluid but the water pump requires refilling the coolant, and on these cars that means following a special procedure.

George always makes good points, he knows these cars quite well...so I guess I'll ask, did this list come from an inspection for trade-in value or did she take it in because something was wrong? Edit: Oops, somehow I missed that post.

I approved your posts, hopefully everything will show now.

To find out how the car was optioned from the factory, get the VIN and use one of the many online BMW VIN decoders.
Thank you for approving my posts and sorry for any duplicates that are now out there. I don't think you missed it, because not sure I mentioned it, but a friend had borrowed the car and managed to run it over the remnants of a tree stump (or something like that). I swear crap like this only happens to my mother and I couldn't make it up if I wanted to!

The body shop guy said there was nothing structurally wrong, but that there was damage to the radiator support, condenser, and a bunch of other front-end stuff. When my mother got it back from him, she complained that the steering was too stiff. In an effort to appease her, he sent the car over to the BMW specialist. It was there that he discovered all the things itemized in the quote and the pictures I posted at the link in the previous post.

I do have the VIN, so I'll see if I can get it decoded for all the options (of which I think there are few). Thx again!!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
...The reason given for replacing the water pump on the estimate was, "PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND FAULT CODES FOR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, 9 TIMES." [BEFORE anyone can advise you properly about the Coolant Pump, AKA Electric Water Pump, we need to know: (1) WHAT specific code(s) appeared, how many times, and at what mileage (INPA/ISTA will quickly show that Fault History and/or Freeze Frame Data & Fault Details. There are wiring/connector issues that are more likely to occur on a car driven 5,000 miles per year or less, rather than issues with the pump itself, and that can ONLY be diagnosed properly knowing the Code info identified above, and then using "Activation" of the Pump to see what "Speed Deviation" exists, and at WHAT % of max speed activation.]
Not sure if that has anything to do with the fraying ground strap, but am open to suggestions. [As stated in earlier post, UNLESS starter cranking is SLOWER than normal (and I realize you can't personally test it), I would NOT be concerned about that judging from your photo NOW attached to post #4. The blue color is simply Copper Sulphate from chemical reaction with the Copper over the years, is surface deposit, and does NOT affect conductivity of the Ground Strap. If STARTER speed is NOT increased by adding a Jumper Cable from the Chassis Ground Hex Stud to a bolt head on Block or Head, then add it to your "BUCKET" list. ]
I still cannot find the correct "ground strap" for her vehicle. I think it's this, but the site says it doesn't fit her 2011 328i xDrive: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nd-12427551714
[That's the WRONG part if what you need is Starter/Chassis Ground Strap, which is Part# 12427549396, which is $48 @ FCP & $41 @ ECS:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?utf...ds=12427549396
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E91-32.../12427549396/]
Quote:
...Here is the full text from the 3rd Party BMW shop's evaluation of her vehicle:

...INSPECTED TIRES, FOUND... [Very specific tread depth & wear conditions stated, but NO tire/wheel size info. My 2007 328xi has 205/55R16 on all 4 wheels. There would be no reason for "stagger" on 328xi. Whatever it has, easiest thing is to make sure you have correct info from the tire size molded on the sidewall of each tire. Also make sure you know what the driver door sticker states for proper tire/wheel size, and MOST important, since AWD, make sure circumference of ALL FOUR tires is the same +/- 1%, as failure to meet that requirement WILL cause wear of Transfer Case & Diffs over time. It appears someone has "rotated the tires" and they are of 3 different "vintages." Be aware that the E9x BMW's do NOT have provision for spare tire, even a "donut", & originally came with "RunFlats" which can be run up to 50 miles with NO air, just on reinforced sidewall support. There are multiple strategies for carrying pump, plug kit, even temp spare. Ask about that as separate subject if keeping car.]...RECOMMEND REPLACING TWO OLDEST AND WORN TIRES AND PERFORMING ALIGNMENT. FRONT BRAKE ROTORS ROTTED, VERY RUSTY [photos do NOT show swept area of disc to assess scoring, pad deposits, rust, etc.; the rust or "crud" in the vents shown from the "edge view" may be simply cosmetic; more detailed exam needed], PADS LOW. [Normally rear pads wear as fast or faster than Front on the 328xi. He says "pads low" but does NOT specify exact thickness. Minimum permissible pad thickness, either front or rear, is 3mm. In addition to knowing exact pad thickness, Front & Rear, knowing if thickness of inboard and outboard pad on any wheel is SAME is critical since these are single piston brakes and difference between pad thickness (Inboard vs. Outboard) suggests guide pin issues. NOT a difficult or expensive "Fix", just something to evaluate. Ground strap covered above]...REAR SHOCKS BLOWN [NO idea what that means], RIGHT REAR IS LEAKING [I respectfully disagree; The Dark/Clean area below the shock dust cover is simply clean black paint, now exposed since the Left Rear is jacked and wheel at bottom of shock travel; the "greenish" stuff below that also appears at the same level on the coil spring, & could be due to "Off-Road" use -- hit any good stumps lately? ]. PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND FAULT CODES FOR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, 9 TIMES [NOT very professional to omit code number/definition citation, and I'm NO Pro, but I don't know how any Water Pump Code could be saved "9 times" in "short test"; note test is undefined]..."...
This begs one other question: how can I find out what options or packages were installed on her vehicle? She bought it used from a BMW dealership with 8,651 miles on it.
[Google "BMW VIN Decoder" and you will get a number of hits such as link below; enter VIN and see Specifications & Options from factory on that vehicle:
https://www.mdecoder.com]
Need to revise my "E9x References" to insert new & functional "VIN Decoder"
However you work that out, with YOU getting the car, or "MOM" keeping it, if the latter, I would suggest helping her find a local Independent shop that has BMW diagnostic software, INPA or ISTA, and knows how to use it. If you wind up with the vehicle, I would strongly advise getting an understanding of what Scan Tool or Software is available to diagnose an issue yourself. Lack of a Scan Tool, and/or NOT knowing how to use it can be very expensive.

I'm a bit surprised that the DEALER didn't try to suggest the VCG (Valve Cover Gasket), Oil Pan Gasket, Serpentine Belt & Idler, etc. needed to be replaced, in addition to the Coolant Pump and Thermostat. Those are the "Legendary" weak knees on the N52 engine, and based upon other reports here, most dealers doing an inspection will tell you those items need replacing (regardless of actual seepage, leakage, wear, etc.).

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 10-17-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you for approving my posts and sorry for any duplicates that are now out there. I don't think you missed it, because not sure I mentioned it, but a friend had borrowed the car and managed to run it over the remnants of a tree stump (or something like that). I swear crap like this only happens to my mother and I couldn't make it up if I wanted to!
You weren't that specific but did post "customer complains of tight steering".
No offense but she needs friends with better driving capabilities if they are borrowing her car. I hope that friend offered to pay for repairs.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
You weren't that specific but did post "customer complains of tight steering".
No offense but she needs friends with better driving capabilities if they are borrowing her car. I hope that friend offered to pay for repairs.
The saga with the friend and these repairs would take an entire blog post and nobody would find it the least bit interesting!

There is a little history on "tight steering" which perhaps you have some insight into. While my mother was gone the summer before last, I drove the car for a couple of weeks. The strange thing I noticed was that when the steering wheel was height adjusted to one of the extremes (either highest or lowest, can't remember) it became very difficult to turn. At the other extreme it was just fine. When I asked her about it, she said the dealer told her that regardless of what the problem was, it would be very expensive to repair. Since the height where it worked fine was exactly where she wanted it, she didn't bother investigating (or investing) any further.

Fast forward to the "tree stump" incident a couple of months ago. When she picked up the car, she complained that the steering wheel was "tight," so that's when the body shop sent it to the BMW specialist. I used the word "appease" in a previous post, because the body shop guy was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the steering. He felt my mother's observation was skewed by the fact that she'd been driving a different car abroad for 3+ months (and a rental while the "tree stump" accident was repaired) and had become accustomed to those cars' power steering.

In reality, the BMW shop didn't do anything to "fix" the steering because in their estimation it was fine. But the body shop guy told my mother that the BMW specialist "took care of it" and when she drove it next, she was satisfied.

Last edited by spamcop01; 10-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
The saga with the friend and these repairs would take an entire blog post and nobody would find it the least bit interesting!

There is a little history on "tight steering" which perhaps you have some insight into. While my mother was gone the summer before last, I drove the car for a couple of weeks. The strange thing I noticed was that when the steering wheel was height adjusted to one of the extremes (either highest or lowest, can't remember) it became very difficult to turn. At the other extreme it was just fine. When I asked her about it, she said the dealer told her it regardless of what the problem was, it would be very expensive to repair. Since the height where it worked fine was exactly where she wanted it, she didn't bother investigating (or investing) any further.

Fast forward to the "tree stump" incident a couple of months ago. When she picked up the car, she complained that the steering wheel was "tight," so that's when the body shop sent it to the BMW specialist. I used the word "appease" in a previous post, because the body shop guy was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the steering. He felt my mother's observation was skewed by the fact that she'd been driving a different car abroad for 3+ months (and a rental while the "tree stump" accident was repaired) and had become accustomed to those cars power steering.

In reality, the BMW shop didn't do anything to "fix" the steering because in their estimation it was fine. But the body shop guy told my mother that the BMW specialist "took care of it" and when she drove it next, she was satisfied.
Yes, our E90 have famously tight steering that I actually really liked as soon as I drove this car. Ironically, coming home from a 10-day vacation I got into my 328i and immediately freaked out my power steering was gone. It was so difficult to turn! However after a few days I got used to it yet again. I got accustomed to electronic power steering of a tiny KIA we rented abroad. So compared to a tiny KIA (picanto) my steering is super stiff and actually there's nothing wrong with it.
I would say focus on the rest of the issues with the car and as you replace tires, worn out suspension component and perform alignment, steering will be totally back to normal. As to the question about steering angle adjustment, it could be worn out u-joint: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=9
Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Need to revise my "E9x References" to insert new & functional "VIN Decoder"
However you work that out, with YOU getting the car, or "MOM" keeping it, if the latter, I would suggest helping her find a local Independent shop that has BMW diagnostic software, INPA or ISTA, and knows how to use it. If you wind up with the vehicle, I would strongly advise getting an understanding of what Scan Tool or Software is available to diagnose an issue yourself. Lack of a Scan Tool, and/or NOT knowing how to use it can be very expensive.

I'm a bit surprised that the DEALER didn't try to suggest the VCG (Valve Cover Gasket), Oil Pan Gasket, Serpentine Belt & Idler, etc. needed to be replaced, in addition to the Coolant Pump and Thermostat. Those are the "Legendary" weak knees on the N52 engine, and based upon other reports here, most dealers doing an inspection will tell you those items need replacing (regardless of actual seepage, leakage, wear, etc.).

George
Thanks again for all the info, George! There's too much for me to process and respond to at the moment, but I did want to share that I got the tire info. All four of them are:

Continental ContiProContact SSR
Size: 225/45R17 91H

I'm guessing this is good news although as already covered in previous posts, they've got varying degrees of wear, have different date codes, etc.

Based on your earlier comments, it sounds like we should get the tires addressed ASAP, but would appreciate your suggestions on exactly how to proceed. We're also not too far from "snow tire" season and I'm not exactly sure how she's handled that swap in the past...
Old 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks to all the feedback I've received here, I think I've convinced my mother to keep her car. It makes no financial sense to enter into a lease. Her body shop guy has recommended a mechanic he knows and trusts. I'm going to put together a summary of what I've gathered here and may post a few clarifying questions.

I would still love some guidance on how to proceed with the tires since replacing all 4 will be relatively expensive. I did learn that since she got this xDrive, she doesn't put snow tires on in the winter any more. If anyone has recommendations on a better tire, please advise. My mother is a grandmother and mostly drives like one, so not sure she needs a UHP tire. Just want a comfortable all-weather tire.

Last edited by spamcop01; 10-20-2019 at 03:59 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search