snow blowers - a bit early but advise sought - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

View Poll Results: which snow blower
Gas 2 100.00%
Electric (corded) 0 0%
Battery 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2019, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
snow blowers - a bit early but advise sought

So, wanna poll what you think is a good choice,
Upgraded from a hand shovel to an eletric snow shovel (toro) which was good,
but now I wanna wheeled thrower

so I'm thinking battery rather than corded or gas
the new li-ons (? i think) are pretty good, dont have a big area
but am seriously thinking on a battery one

I can do my area in full in about 30 minuts easily.

thoughts pls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 AM

the thing I didnt like about the snow thrower was trailing a cord all over the place
I also had a gas grass cutter and it was always a pain to maint and start
hence the battery choice
Old 10-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have 2500 square feet of concrete driveway and 1000 square feet of front porch - wooden deck. I get 40 inches - one meter - snowfall (average, 30 years data). The last few years have been much more, 2.5 meters - 100 inches.

I shovel by hand for exercise. I try to shovel a little bit frequently, so in a heavy snowfall I'll clear the driveway every hour or so. It takes me 20 minutes as long as its not too deep or heavy.

I'm 71 y.o.and tore my right knee meniscus, but I've exercised the pain away and have a brace that I will use. I see the end of my manual labor days coming.

I will not have a gasoline motor. I hate the stink and burn and risk of gasoline. I was a professional electrician before I qualified as engineer. I would have, probably will have a corded snowblower. I have a 15 Amp convenience outlet on the front of the house. That's 1800 Watts or about 2 Hp - not very big, specially for a two stage blower. I will not have a single stage stupid snow flipper. I also have a 240 VAC 30 Amp outlet nearby, but I've never seen a 240 VAC snowblower.

I don't have a problem trailing a cord. ATM I use my leafblower to detail the snow off the porch.

I have also X5 AWD on NOKIAN WR G3 winter tires. My VW had Hakkaplittas and once the ice was so thick smooth slippery that I was able only to get it off the road and leave it at the bottom of the sloped driveway. Milady Wife and I had to crawl hands and knees to the door.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-18-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 07:11 AM

I do also like the idea of the exercise, but I have to watch my lower back
Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 AM

oh I'm thinking of single stage not 2 stage
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Nuclear engineer

Single stage snow-flippers are only just better than a cheap snow shovel.

A bigger challenge for me than clearing the driveway is where to put the mountain of snow. By winter's end my snow pile is as high as I can throw it and fifty feet long. Periodically I have to push the top of the mountain off further away from the driveway.

I have also a roof snow rake and try to limit the snow on the roof to about a meter deep.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I like gasoline-powered implements of destruction. The trick is to buy commercial grade... or Honda, use synthetic oil and fresh (<30 days), non-ethanol gasoline. Drain and run everything dry of gasoline after the season. Even doing that, plan on a new carburetor every nine or ten years (punctured float or torn priming bulb).

For hand-held implements of destruction (trimmers, edgers) with oil in the crankcase (not mixed with fuel), turn the thing upside down before starting it, to coat the rings and cylinder walls below the piston with oil before starting them. You can tilt a lawnmower up on the front wheels to wet the cylinder walls and rings.

I burn or drain every drop of old gasoline before putting in new gasoline.

We're moving north and will see about six snowfalls a year. That's an excuse for another gasoline-powered implement of destruction!

My 19 year old Honda string trimmer just got its second carburetor. The shop said don't count on them finding another carburetor ten years from now, though.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Shovel it - snow blowers are over-priced. Buy yourself an exhaust or something in the spring to reward yourself. If you can't shovel it, pay the neighborhood teens to do it for $10/hr and unless you live in an extremely snowy climate, the break even is probably 7-8 years when you factor in the maintenance and storage inconvenience.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)

Last edited by dwlink; 10-18-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:42 AM
Nuclear engineer

$25/hour is effectively minimum wage here. NO ONE shovels snow except home owners. Local teens first vehicle is a beater PU with snow blade. The problem with trucks and wheels on snow is pressure ice and that's worse than just snow - a big reason why I shovel. If I have to drive on my driveway even lightly dusted after it has frozen then I will scrape off the tire tracks right away.

When the ground freezes I will pretreat with Calcium / Magnesium Chloride as the solution keeps pressure ice from adhering so tightly.

When I first moved here I contracted plowing for $400/season up front. The jerk accomplished little but making a mess. I fired him after one or two seasons.

Shoveling snow is hard work when done properly and NO ONE works hard for pay, but ONLY for personal satisfaction. THEY think driving a power tool is working smart not hard.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
The only real upgrade, in my opinion, is gas. I have a Homelite string trimmer that I bought for less than $80 in 1992. I still use it to this day. I had to have the carburetor rebuilt twice. After the second rebuild I said no more and bought a Stihl. Once I had the Stihl up and running I decided to try to give the carb rebuild on the Homelite (3rd time) a shot myself. The Homelite is much lighter and easier to use. It was so easy. After that point I started to use the prepackaged, ethanol free 2 cycle fuel mixture. I have not had to do any more rebuilds and it runs great.

I do winterize all my gasoline powered equipment before storage. That's coming up in a week or so. I just spray some fogging oil into the air intake 4-5 times. This will choke the engine and it will want to die. After the 5th time I spray until it dies. I then remove the spark plug and spray some fogging oil into the cylinder and pull the starter cord several times. After that I replace the plug and fill the tank with the prepackaged fuel. Equipment fires right up in the spring, with a little smoke as the fogging oil burns off. I do the same with my 4 cycle equipment except I just treat the gas purchased from the pump with an ethanol treatment/stabilizer.

I just retired a 12 year old Toro mower because the deck had rusted and was flexing to the point I couldn't lift the front wheels off the ground. Started on first pull 90% of the time.

None of my equipment is commercial grade.

Buy gas powered equipment and maintain it and it will serve you well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruFuel.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	868669  

Last edited by crazy4trains; 10-19-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

LOL. Mower? I use a Fiskar reel push mower. I just swapped it up to the tractor shed as I took out the snow shovels.

No damn wonder Americans are morbidly obese, power tools are not working smarter merely labor saving, and labor is exercise. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E949C429-7230-4C54-A0E4-5CAD589F46EF.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	868671  

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-19-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
LOL. Mower? I use a Fiskar reel push mower. I just swapped it up to the tractor shed as I took out the snow shovels.

No damn wonder Americans are morbidly obese, power tools are not working smarter merely labor saving, and labor is exercise. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
All the grasses in Floriduh are vines: St. Augustine, Zoysia, or Centipede Grass. If the stuff gets growing well, it can stall a power mower. There's no way to cut it with a non-powered mower. (Before power mowers, they used goats.) Those vine grasses grow onto the pavement. So, you need to edge as often as you mow here.

I bought my first self-propelled mower, a Honda, six years ago. Honda makes non-self-propelled mowers, but dealers don't normally stock them. I thought it was a frivolous option. But, it was near the end of the season and the local Honda dealer said he'd sell me self-propelled mower from stock for the same price as a non-self-propelled one. Self-propulsion is sort of like a heated steering wheels and parking cameras on a car, a useless option that turned out to be not so useless after all.

The tread on the back (driven) wheels of my Honda mower is almost completely worn off. One of my to-do list items is rotating the tires on my lawnmower.

I upgraded my broom to a Stihl blower. I got the biggest one that doesn't strap on your back. Between my self-propelled mower, string trimmer, edger, and blower, it only takes me one hour to do my yard. That leaves more time for car washing.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 AM

I'll be honest , it's more because I have lower back problems, BUT if done properly I can shovel,
in fact I prefer to as it's good exercise, IF you get out while the snow is powdery, it's all good, but get wet snow or get out too late, then its no good,

The Snow shovel, just gets snow all over the place and easy to trip on the "LONG" lead

I usually do a mix of light shoveling and then the snow shovel, this year I wanted to dry 4 wheels uncorded

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Shovel it - snow blowers are over-priced. Buy yourself an exhaust or something in the spring to reward yourself. If you can't shovel it, pay the neighborhood teens to do it for $10/hr and unless you live in an extremely snowy climate, the break even is probably 7-8 years when you factor in the maintenance and storage inconvenience.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

No. Grasses, Family Poaceae, are not vines. They are often rhizomatous or stoloniferous, but not vines. Vine, vining, is a growth form or habit that does not include grasses sensu stricto.

So, my years nodding through Dr. Rodens' botany lectures pay off again. He had the last traditional lecture hall, thirteen elevated decks, and my assigned seat was top center.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
You didn't say what you were solving for. Gas will do the most work. We get snow a handful of times or less. Big snow dumps in NC happen somewhere every year. Last year we got 15" of wet snow overnight - the worst in 25 years. My only option was to park a car at the end of the driveway and wait for the plow. It well could be more cost effective to hire a neighbor/local to plow you out. It simplifies life and you get to make local contacts.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM

It's a bit of a mix, in the last few years (or at least since I've been in Canada) snow falls in TO have been often but light, the occasional dump and more disconcerting, the ICE storms.
I really don't wanna pay somone to do this, I do wanna get out as I need to exercise, BUT, I have to temper exercise withs crewing my back.
Love first light powdery snow, even when it compacts a bit, but heavy wet, is the issue.
I've done several snow clears during the night only to wake in the morning to find another dump.
MY next door neighbors don't shovel, just wait it out then get out there,
Here in TO, you have to clear the sidewalks, legally with 12 hours, otherwise you can get ticketed, though I've never heard of that
also snow plows, blow your drive in with thick heavy icy snow every now and again
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM

2 question's , both similar

1> Can I run the battery flat and recharge

2> When I finish if there is a little bit left is it better to charge or let it run flat

guessing these are all now li-ons

txs
Old 10-21-2019, 03:53 PM

this guy recons not to fully discharge, when it gets to 80%
or 1 LED

concurs ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search