E93 Battery - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36 5spd, 07 E93 6spd
E93 Battery

It’s time for a new battery in my 07 328 convertible. Just wondering if there’s anything special I need to do when swapping batteries. The E36 requires nothing, but the E93 has Comfort Access and IBC, so I don’t know if I can simply remove the old one and install a new one... BMW battery of course. I learned my lesson on the E36. Every other battery did not hold up. The genuine one went 6 years.
Thanks,
Morf

97 E36, 07 E93, manuals, conv's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
There are so many threads on this subject already .
And they made the process a voodoo ritual filled with
smoke and human sacrifices.
Match or exceed amp hours and battery type if you want
the least complicated process.

Do not use battery back up it blows fuses .
The only thing you loose is trip data and time and date.
Do not close the trunk with the battery out.
The boot lock is electric and some models have no keyholes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338302

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery

georges links
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743

If the car does not see regular highway use or sits for extended periods of time a battery
tender is recommended.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
And they made the process a voodoo ritual filled with
smoke and human sacrifices.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
There are so many threads on this subject already ... And they made the process a voodoo ritual filled with smoke and human sacrifices.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” (Arthur C. Clarke’s Third Law). The advance of technology is a personal problem. Technology is applied scientific knowledge that can be learned with time and attention.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Yeah but bad Engineering is just bad Engineering.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfm3 View Post
It’s time for a new battery in my 07 328 convertible. Just wondering if there’s anything special I need to do when swapping batteries. The E36 requires nothing, but the E93 has Comfort Access and IBC, so I don’t know if I can simply remove the old one and install a new one... BMW battery of course. I learned my lesson on the E36. Every other battery did not hold up. The genuine one went 6 years. Thanks, Morf
Hi Morf,

The SIMPLE (and correct ;-) Answer is:
IF you replace your existing battery with one of:
1) Same TYPE (FLA/Flooded Lead Acid vs. AGM), AND
2) Same AH (Amp Hour) rating or "capacity", e.g. 90 AH

THEN, you do NOT need to do anything but note in your maintenance records the date/mileage at which you replaced the battery. That of course assumes that the correct TYPE & Capacity battery was installed the PREVIOUS time the battery was replaced.

IF you install a battery of different TYPE, or Capacity that differs by more than 5 AH as compared to one being replaced, THEN you or your Indy SHOULD change the "Option" or "Code" selected in "Klasse Batterie" or Battery Type in the CAS Module, using NCS Expert or Dummy (in BMW Standard Tools). That should be done shortly after changing battery, but you won't ruin anything by driving it a few times before the Option/Code is changed.

Procedures for Removing/Installing Replacement Battery:
1) Bentley Manual, 121-11, pdf p. 242;
2) TIS Online Service Manual, E91 shown:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ery/1VnYOBIRkV
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...minals/GXQHWYq
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...holder/GPy8w6k

Voodoo Ritual Smoke Clearing Attempt:
Ctuna nailed it very succinctly -- here's the "Hardbacked-Novel" version:
There are a LOT of details that you will see a LOT of Information/MISinformation about on the forums & Web. The German: Batterietausch Registrieren, as it appears in INPA (German original) appears to be properly translated: "Battery Replacement Register" as per this Google Translate page:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...20Registrieren

Many people in the past have thrown around the term "Battery Registration" in a way that suggests that you MUST "Register" a new battery, REGARDLESS , and the concept of "Registration" which they appear to have is that Registration includes changing (1) "Klasse Batterie" coding change, (2) Battery Histogram change/ clearing, and (3) "Registry" entry. Those are the three separate steps which CAN be done if needed, and if you have the proper software, but as stated above, if replacing battery with one of SAME (A) Type, and (B) AH Capacity, then Nothing else is needed than to make sure you don't damage the IBS on the Negative Battery Cable, and/or the BST connector on the Positive Battery Cable, and that you reconnect everything correctly.

Battery Replacment Register/Batterietausch Registrieren:
When that function is selected in INPA, ALL it does is enter the mileage/km from the odometer into a text field in the DME Power Module Memory, which has the Label: "letzter Batterietausch bei km" which Google Translate says means: "Last Battery Change at km. A Pro (BMW North) who frequents this Forum has stated multiple times that "Registry" entry is merely for Tech reference to see the mileage at which the battery was last replaced, and that entry has NO effect on how the battery is charged.

Histogram:
The Histogram is a 5-day record of (1) SOC (State of Charge) and (2) Start Capability (startfähigkeit). This data is used by the "Power Management" module to fine-tune the charging of the battery. Each day/start(?) the oldest (5 days ago) is dropped. So after 5 days, the entire Histogram is "overwritten", which means if you did NOT "Reset Histogram" (or essentially delete that "Adaptation", then 5 days later, there's absolutely NO difference.

Battery "Brand":
From anything I have ever read, BMW does NOT manufacture Batteries. It merely sells batteries made by a supplier (which may vary by country) with BMW branding on case, and as long as replacement has same case size and post configuration, TYPE & Capacity, Brand X CAN be as good as "Genuine BMW." So Walmart, Duralast, Interstate, NAPA, "Genuine BMW" -- WHO KNOWS -- luck of the draw? Electrically, ANY of them should be the same if they have the same specs. One problem is that some of the cheaper brands these days have NO specification of Capacity; ONLY Cranking Amps, or CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating. Others have "Reserve Capacity" rating on the case. It appears from what I have read that there is NO "SAE" or other recognized Standard for converting Reserve Capacity to AH. ANYONE know of a reliable, DEFINITIVE conversion?

So you can just read the first 2 paragraphs & replace with SAME Type & Capacity, or you can use BMW Standard Tools, INPA & NCS, and learn everything there is to know about batteries. Although I certainly don't know everything there is to know about batteries, I have done the INPA & NCS part, and read posts by BMW-trained Techs, and welcome any facts/references which suggest I need to "adjust my concepts" stated above.

George

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
battery, programming

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search