waterspots after rain - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 17 f30 318i
waterspots after rain

It rained a few days ago and today i washed the car and after drying it i noticed these water spots on the front bumper,
can these water spots be removed safely with a clay-bar? or do i need to take the car to a professional detailer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	868645  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
If they are indeed water spots then distilled water will rinse them away. A clay bar is used for picking pulling asperities out of the surface of the clear coat or paint after it has been thoroughly cleaned.

The image does not look like my water spots. My well water is very very hard, so I rinse with a gallon of distilled water.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef30zh View Post
It rained a few days ago and today i washed the car and after drying it i noticed these water spots on the front bumper,
can these water spots be removed safely with a clay-bar? or do i need to take the car to a professional detailer?
Rubbing alcohol may work on those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Rubbing alcohol may work on those.
In the US ‘rubbing alcohol’ is a isopropanol solution in water, typically 10% - 30% water.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
In the US ‘rubbing alcohol’ is a isopropanol solution in water, typically 10% - 30% water.
Yes that is correct. At times my car also has similar marks as picture in post#1, and they may be tree saps and such, and rubbing alcohol works better than just water on those.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
If they are indeed water spots then distilled water will rinse them away. A clay bar is used for picking pulling asperities out of the surface of the clear coat or paint after it has been thoroughly cleaned.

The image does not look like my water spots. My well water is very very hard, so I rinse with a gallon of distilled water.
I used claybar with lubricant and it didnt work. it looks like its very bad.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinef30zh View Post
I used claybar with lubricant and it didnt work. it looks like its very bad.
That is not the intended use purpose of clay bar. Clay bar properly used is sticky adhesive and hydrodynamically glides on the lubricant and should touch only trash that sticks up through the lubricant, sticking to it and pulling it out of the paint / clear coat.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i xDrive
That's not water spots at all, in my opinion. I've had that before - it's bird poop stains. Some call it etching. All it takes is some bird poop sitting on the paint for a bit. But what's interesting is that it's not all bird poop. And sometimes you don't see the stains until the car is clean. Anyway, I tried everything and eventually had a mobile detailer come out and use some sort of buffing machine to fix it. I used compound, alcohol, lots of soap, and it only was removed by the professional.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Anytime you polish away paint damage, you should start with the mildest product and then work up as necessary. The first thing to try is a cleaner wax. If you have a good coat of wax on the car, you might be in luck and the damage is to the wax and not to the clear coat.

I wax the top of my cars (door handles and up), the nose (everything forward of the front axle), and the top of the back bumper twice or three times as often as the sides of the car. Those surfaces get the brunt of sunlight, bug, and bird poop damage.

Frau Putzer brought a banged up Civic to the marriage. It looked like it'd been parked on a war zone. There was some bird poop on it once. As an experiment, I left it there to see if/when she'd wash it off. She never did, and when I cleaned it off it had ate down to the primer.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyked View Post
That's not water spots at all, in my opinion. I've had that before - it's bird poop stains. Some call it etching. All it takes is some bird poop sitting on the paint for a bit. But what's interesting is that it's not all bird poop. And sometimes you don't see the stains until the car is clean. Anyway, I tried everything and eventually had a mobile detailer come out and use some sort of buffing machine to fix it. I used compound, alcohol, lots of soap, and it only was removed by the professional.
the car is parked under a pergola, so no poop stains of any kind
do i have to fix it asap or can i fix it whenever?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Anytime you polish away paint damage, you should start with the mildest product and then work up as necessary. The first thing to try is a cleaner wax. If you have a good coat of wax on the car, you might be in luck and the damage is to the wax and not to the clear coat.

I wax the top of my cars (door handles and up), the nose (everything forward of the front axle), and the top of the back bumper twice or three times as often as the sides of the car. Those surfaces get the brunt of sunlight, bug, and bird poop damage.

Frau Putzer brought a banged up Civic to the marriage. It looked like it'd been parked on a war zone. There was some bird poop on it once. As an experiment, I left it there to see if/when she'd wash it off. She never did, and when I cleaned it off it had ate down to the primer.
my car doesn't have any waxes, never put anything on the car, i just wash it with regular car washing products.
i'm not really worried about these spots im just curious if they can cause permanent damage.
at this point my car isn't worth my time, the car was in an accident last year and i can never look at the car and see the car i once had, i wish it was just totaled and i got rid of it back then, but oh well..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search