Creaking at full wheel lock with brakes applied? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
Hey, guys. Help wanted, as suspension is not my forte. For some time now, I have been having this creaking sound in the front wheel wells which only happens when I'm applying the brakes and turning the wheel all the way when stationary or at a low speed. Same thing on both sides.

Here's a video:

In the video, the first time I turn the wheel there are no brakes applied.

The worst case is when I depress the brake, turn the wheel all the way to a lock and then release the brake. There's some movement and a horrible sound:

I think, but not 100% sure, that this started about the time I had discs and rotors installed by an indy. I wonder what could be the reason?

- Sway bar bushings
- Pads not greased properly
- Hub corrosion
- Dust shield
- Outer tie rods bushings - they look oaky though; btw, both control arms were replaced a few months ago, no change
- Something else

Could be unrelated, but I've also noticed that since my rotors and pads were changed, just before the car comes to a complete stop there is a slight hesitation. Rotors and pads are ATE and look visually completely okay.

Last edited by Breach; 10-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 AM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
Easy things first...

Check for clearance of the Sheet Metal Backplate behind the Rotor that just may be pushed up against the Rotors a bit, a long screwdriver should bend it out of the way. Those things are like an Amplifier if they touch anything... Iíve had terrible screeching after Wheel changes, simply a Pebble in between.
Euro 313HP
465 TQ @1500 RPM
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersport / PA4 Winter

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search