E63/64 DIY: iPod interface installation DIY - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmw View Post
can i just buy the ipod integration cable and install it? or will i need to take it to the dealer to get reprogramed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
You will need to also get the iDrive programmed.
Not always. If he currently has a CD changer and can play mp3s in the dash cd player then it will be plug and play. If no CD changer you will have to pay for the CD changer option to be enabled. If you can't play mp3s then it is free to get that enabled.

2006 650i - SMG - Alpine White / Chateau
Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
Hey guys. Im as fresh as can be to my "new" 05 e64. Appx how long of an install is the ipod integration cable, and where is the best/cheapest place to pick one up from?

Another question...My car does have the cd changer, however it does not play mp3 discs, would I be able to get the dealer to reprogram my idrive for free to allow the playing of such cd's?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM

I think i can answer my second question...it looks like that would solve my concern. However, heres a spinoff, are there any other updates that i can or should ask for that are also free.

Ps: can someone send me the bulletin(s) for the update??? Please and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 AM

I think i can answer my second question...it looks like that would solve my concern. However, heres a spinoff, are there any other updates that i can or should ask for that are also free.

Ps: can someone send me the bulletin(s) for the update??? Please and thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci Silver Coupe
My dealership quoted me $795 for the ipod integration and I have the cd changer. Mp3 CDs do not work in any cd drive, but I convinced the dealership to update my idrive next time I go in.

How much do you think the parts and reprogramming should be if I install it myself? Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastdoug View Post
My dealership quoted me $795 for the ipod integration and I have the cd changer. Mp3 CDs do not work in any cd drive, but I convinced the dealership to update my idrive next time I go in.

How much do you think the parts and reprogramming should be if I install it myself? Thanks
Rusnak bmw quoted me 800 forthe parts and the labor. So I laughed in my sa's face, and had another dealer do the programming for free, bought the unit from one of the guys on the forum(280 bucks for a new one), and installed it in about 10 to 15 minutes.

Honestly, this install had to be one of the easiest and most straight-forward/plug-n-play installs ive ever done.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastdoug View Post

The mp3 retrofit update is free from BMW if you ask for it since there is a SIB out for that. Since you already have a CD changer you don't need any iDrive updates (which costs money). Just guy the OEM ipod adapter and follow the DIY install which will take 10-15 mins start to finish. That is all you need. You can get the iPod adapter for 200-280 depending new or used. Don't pay the dealer all that money for no work.

Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2004 645ci in excellent condition. My iDrive is out of date and unfortunately doesn't play MP3s. As a result, I can't buy the iPod integration kit and do a plug 'n play installation.

I found SIB 653005 dated March 2006 online. Since my warranty is expired, are they still required to update my iDrive version for free? I've had horrible luck in Los Angeles trying to get help from a dealer. Beverly Hills BMW said it would take about 3 hours of labor and quoted me at $300! Santa Monica BMW wasn't much better at $250. Both of them told me that there's also a risk of causing "irreversible" damage to the system.

I'm a software engineer by trade and all of this kind of sounds like BS to me. What do you guys recommend I do? I just want to get this upgrade taken care of so that I can play my iPod in my car again. I'm tired of listening to the same 6 CDs over and over
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 AM

The mp3 retrofit is free. The idrive update is not.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM

So I just need the MP3 retrofit then? What kind of documentation do I need to bring to the dealer to support my claim that the mp3 retrofit should be serviced for free?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM

Here's what you do...Call Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas, and ask to speak to Paul in the service department. Tell him you need to have the mp3 retrofit done to your car. I saw him a couple of days ago for my car. They did it absolutely free, and he should have the bulletin on hand, which will make it easier for you to get in and get out.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks so much. I'll give them a call right now
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
Where's the cheapest place you can get the Ipod Kit at?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 650I SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
You are correct. They should do it for free! PM me with your email address and i'll send you the original BMW bulletin that enables you to have it done for free. Just show them that and they'll do it for free guaranteed! I'll also send along the original BMW install instructions for the interface.

Hey ********, If you don't mind can you send me the install doc and the bulleting for the MP3 retrofit to [email protected]
Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl81 View Post
Where's the cheapest place you can get the Ipod Kit at?
+1..........any1?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZinMJ3 View Post
+1..........any1?
I found mine on Ebay and there are some posted in the classified section from time to time.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto:
which item on ebay is for the car. there is so much **** on ebay i wanna make sure to buy the complete set.

here 1 for $13.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bmw-2...fAudioQ5fVideo

and 1 for $250
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-i...fAudioQ5fVideo

whats the diff?

Last edited by 136881; 05-01-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZinMJ3 View Post
which item on ebay is for the car. there is so much **** on ebay i wanna make sure to buy the complete set.

here 1 for $13.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bmw-2...fAudioQ5fVideo

and 1 for $250
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-i...fAudioQ5fVideo

whats the diff?
The first one is just an 3.5mm mini-stereo and plugs into the AUX port. Basically making your car a giant expensive headphone. You have to control the iPod from the iPod itself. You also have to plug the cig lighter adapter to keep it from draining the battery.

The second one is the one you want. It replaces the CD changer and allows you to controll the ipod through the iDrive and get info on the NAV screen. It connects to the iPod with the data cable you plug into the bottom. It also charges through this at the same time and the sound will be much much better due to the iPod unit connecting to the logic 7 via fiber optic.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
I saw some members had the BMW written instructions on how to install this. Does anyone have a copy of this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: SC430
When iPhone is plugged in into OEM ipod adapter, can I still make calls on the iphone? Will BT work or do I need to unplug it to get the phone working?

I don't mind controlling the ipod through the phone, but it would suck if I can't use the phone while driving.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Hi All,

All I need is the aux input. I just turned in my 535i that had an ipod interface from the factory but it didn't work with my iPhone. So I only made use of the Aux input with my IPhone. I see on my 06 650 there is no AUX option on the radio display so I wonder what is necessary to turn on the AUX input?

I also have an older Denison iPod adapter I had on my old X3. I wonder if that would work in my 650? It plugged into the CD changer plug.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 4 Series
I am also very interested in receiving the BMW written instructions on this if you still have them! My email is [email protected]! thank you in advance!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 AM

So I bought and installed my iPod integration kit yesterday, by far easiest plug and play install I have ever done! Just one question... To get the iPod to play, I go to cd on the idrive and choose cd 1 then it lists my playists... What needs to be done to get it to say iPod and show all my artists, albums, and genres? Thanks in advance guys! I have had my 650 for a little less then a week now and it has been nothing short of amazing!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Mobile View Post
So I bought and installed my iPod integration kit yesterday, by far easiest plug and play install I have ever done! Just one question... To get the iPod to play, I go to cd on the idrive and choose cd 1 then it lists my playists... What needs to be done to get it to say iPod and show all my artists, albums, and genres? Thanks in advance guys! I have had my 650 for a little less then a week now and it has been nothing short of amazing!
You use the different CDs. I don't know exactly off the top of my head but say CD1 is playlist, CD2 is artists, CD3 is album, etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks a lot NWS Alpine! I'll have to check that out! Is that our only option though, or is there a way to get a reflash for it to have iPod on the iDrive screen itself like the ones that come from factory? I see your in Ft. lauderdale, I live in Boca, we should definitely ride out together some time!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search