N63 engine recall - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
My e70 x5 is at the shop under the same TSB/recall/customer care plan
So far my CA tild me they measured my timing chain tolerance and are waiting for Bmw NW to get back to them with action

A bit shady to not let the dealer decide what to do and not have these values on hand...
My car was at the dealer for air suspension dead but they were doing the injector update before the recall came up, when I was about to take my car back my CA told me about that recall

I really feel the n63 engine is weak. Mainly because it run soooo hot all the time, it is death by incineration under the hood

The jeep srt8 engine is so much nicer ! Too bad jeep drivetrain is all mush

If they offer trade in deals, I'll do it as these car may be hard to resell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
My e70 x5 is at the shop under the same TSB/recall/customer care plan
So far my CA tild me they measured my timing chain tolerance and are waiting for Bmw NW to get back to them with action

A bit shady to not let the dealer decide what to do and not have these values on hand...
My car was at the dealer for air suspension dead but they were doing the injector update before the recall came up, when I was about to take my car back my CA told me about that recall

I really feel the n63 engine is weak. Mainly because it run soooo hot all the time, it is death by incineration under the hood

The jeep srt8 engine is so much nicer ! Too bad jeep drivetrain is all mush

If they offer trade in deals, I'll do it as these car may be hard to resell
Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Definitely checking in with my SA Monday afternoon, will be very interesting to see how BMW communicates this to the masses.

Past:
2012 550i Sport
2010 535i xdrive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
My issue, to answer a previous question happened far before BMW ever came out with any type of investigative repair programs. Corporate made their decision, even in a buyer's assist as NO. I was left with a car that could have the same failure mode and complaints were not addressed.

I think BMW has some great attributes and some neat cars--best to them.

Last edited by schnell525; 01-03-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive
I spoke to BMWNA yesterday and the Customer Relations guy knew nothing and referred me to the dealer. How do you not train your staff on an issue impacting some of your most expensive vehicles whose customers are generally automotive savvy compared to most? I sink vee may need da Germans to intervene.

I am going to let my dealer (who are great) execute the service aspect and like many others, see what kind of N63 trade program gets communicated. I've never had an engine issue with this thing and it runs like a raped ape! Candidly, I am intrigued by the M4 but love the 550's size and AWD which i need. Limits my options until the M4/5 get AWD (if). I am skeptical that the sales element will be anything that great ... too many Deutschmarks!

Pisser.

Last edited by 550ix; 01-03-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
Any information on whether they exchange with parts that are somehow different? Or is this just resetting the problem timer?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: '15 550i ED, '14 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Any information on whether they exchange with parts that are somehow different? Or is this just resetting the problem timer?
I read either here or on another thread that they replace with parts that are newer. Apparently the date and/or if the parts of functional dictate whether items will be replaced. Another member posted that his dealership has to communicate the measurements to BMW NA to see if they will replace. I think a lot of stuff is still coming down from above and probably won't be known for a week or two.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired

Last edited by Dallas550; 01-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: Accord
Car has a little over 2 weeks left in warranty. Calling SA Monday. This will be interesting. Already had a camshaft sensor/reluctor ring repair recently.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 AM

It's going to be interesting to see what BMW USA offers to its customers. If defective parts are found, most likely you will get remanufactured parts--or if there's a significant change a new part. I would be highly suspect of having to rely on dealers to supply spec. data. BMW Germany must authorize repairs without even looking at the car, despite the spec found by the in house or even their "uber" techs. Trade values will not be good, and depending on what and where you trade or sell will show how much the N63 has dropped.

Last edited by schnell525; 01-04-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: F30 340, G30 550 ordered
You will always get a higher trade value on your car if you trade it in to the brand's dealers. If you traded a BMW into an Audi dealer they would probably wholesale it. If they left it on the lot they would have to sell it at a lower price because they can't offer any financing incentives on it. BMW could offer a preowned at 1.9% for example, while the Audi dealer would offer bank rates at 3 to 4 points higher. They also wouldn't be able to add the factory CPO warranty.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 AM

It all depends on the dealership sales models. I know an Audi dealership that will give Mannheim numbers and bump up a bit to stay competitive on trade and keep the car on the lot for 3 months--these are volume dealers. I've also seen small BMW dealers give Mannheim values on cars and move them to the auction right away. There are a couple reasons for that. One, they know the car is sub-par and don't want it, or they don't want to tie up their money in the used side of their business. Some dealers that are cash poor don't want to tie up money into one car. Always shop the used side too. If one dealer doesn't want to give you a good deal on your trade find another to buy.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what BMW USA offers to its customers. If defective parts are found, most likely you will get remanufactured parts--or if there's a significant change a new part. I would be highly suspect of having to rely on dealers to supply spec. data. BMW Germany must authorize repairs without even looking at the car, despite the spec found by the in house or even their "uber" techs. Trade values will not be good, and depending on what and where you trade or sell will show how much the N63 has dropped.
I've given some brief thought into how this might work. It would almost have to be a percentage of original US MSRP, because dealers would just low ball the hell out of your offer to make up for any "incentive" from BMW NA. I just don't see how a blanket $2 or $3k would solve anything as far as trading it in. I would be shocked if something like that was actually introduced, but to be as fair as possible, I think that's probably the only way. I know for trade assist, they give you close to or your original price paid, but that's usually only if the car is in lemon law territory.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired
Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Xdrive
I checked mine on BMWUSA and it says I have no recalls as well. I emailed them just to be sure.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdozitrt View Post
I checked mine on BMWUSA and it says I have no recalls as well. I emailed them just to be sure.
This isn't a recall, the thread title is a little misleading. This is a "customer care" deal, basically bypassing an official recall. It will be attached to your VIN when the service dept at your dealership checks it out.

From your details, a 2011 550i is definitely one that needs to go in.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 550XI,GL320,993TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhobby View Post
This reminds me of the movie Airplane where everyone quickly lined up to slap the paranoid person. I'm going to just wait until we hear what the actual recall is, and what BMW is going to do about it. This engine is used in many of their products, and I can't imagine they (BMW NOT dealers) will not make it right since they admit there is an issue. Other than the induction and exhaust systems, it's the same engine used in the M5/M6's. As I said, the same thing happened to my E46 ///M3 with the bearing / oil pump recall after (it did take a while for BMW to admit) some engines exploded. They gave 100K mile warranty to all owners of the impacted model years. I sold it sight unseen 12 years later with 135K hard miles. This isn't an //M, but my point still holds.

I do feel for folks that have already had indy repairs done with out of pocket money...

-gh

Could not have said it any better myself. There is so much conjuncture and hearsay going on fueling hysteria. It takes years to recognize engine problems not found during development.

Here are few examples from recent years just off the top of my head.

Audi with their oil burning 2.0T from 2010-2011 with bad rings. A buddy goes through a qt every 600 highway miles. I can only imagine what his cat looks like.

Porsche with IMS and cracked heads issues on their flat six M96 engines. NA V8s with cylinder scoring. Rumors of the new 9A1 flat six with an inferior oil pump.

BMW is the only manufacturer that has publicly announced warranty extension for an engine issue with the S54. Audi will top end rebuild the 2.0 only if you complain.

This "internal recall" should help the existing cars not drag values down. I am still scratching my head on how any mass produced $70-80K MSRP 3-4 year old car is not trading in the high $30-40s today.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 550i F10
Just an Info for all folks out there:

The same items that BMW is now "checking" happened all to my 2011 550i…

1. Engine fuel pump (leaked) - exchanged
2. weeks later...Battery discharge - was always empty and never loaded itself.. - exchanged
3. weeks later: ignition coil exchanged and DME software updated
4. 1 week later: Fuel System Low Pressure Sensor/Feed Line - exchanged
5. weeks later: Engine exchanged including turbos, Injectors etc…(metal pieces were found in engine oil)…

For items 1-4 i paid myself out of my pocket. BMW did refuse to pay since car has no warranty anymore. They paid item 5 for courtesy in November 2014 when this campaign was not public…

In total, my car has about 20k miles and these things happened before (I would say after 15k miles)…I am going to see if BMW reimburses me for my expenses (item 1-4) that are connected to this issues…

During all these things happened, I constantly had this stupid "drivetrain malfunction" message….

Thank you for the ultimate driving machine…
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Dang! I hope they email me back with details. My car is down in Florida right now and I don't want to have to take it in to find out. Thanks for the additional info.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas550 View Post
This isn't a recall, the thread title is a little misleading. This is a "customer care" deal, basically bypassing an official recall. It will be attached to your VIN when the service dept at your dealership checks it out.

From your details, a 2011 550i is definitely one that needs to go in.
Dang! I hope they email me back with details. My car is down in Florida right now and I don't want to have to take it in to find out. Thanks for the additional info.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50.i
Customer Care - N63

The "Customer Care Program" was only activated on January 2. If your dealership has not heard of it yet, there is good reason. The program appears to be pretty sound. It is essentially a recall without the bad press of the word "recall". Most interesting to many of you (myself included) is a reimbursement program for qualifying work done at your expense at OR outside of a dealership. I have a copy of the Previous Customer-pay Repairs process. It covers the following:
  • Hot-Film Air Mass Sensors
  • PIEZO High Pressure Fuel Injectors
  • Engine Vacuum Pump
  • Fuel System Intake Turbo Seals
  • Crankcase Ventilation Lines (Hoses)
  • Timing Chain

I attempted to enter my own repairs onto the site (www.BMW-RP.com) and it did not take. A follow-on call to customer service had them stumped about the whole program as well. They are working the issue and will get back to me in a day. I will post the resolution. Looks like this program was communicated inside of BMW before release. Amateur move. Let's hope someone in their communications department gets to work after the holidays.

From what I understand, the issue is the location of the turbos on the top of the engine. This causes an excessive amount of heat to be trapped, running temperatures up to 1,400 degrees F. This heat breaks down seals, hoses, etc. The new design on the engine has the turbos on the sides. Here is the good news for us; they are not simply replacing the parts for the same parts (to break down in a year or two). I understand they have engineered new aircraft grade parts capable of withstanding the heat. Best option? No. BUT, a much better option than to continue the same cycle.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Yeah, we've seen the service side, although, interesting info on what they're replacing the defective parts with. I think at this point all of us are waiting for the sales side to be released, hopefully today. Assuming there is a sales side of this thing.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50.i
Customer Care Program - N63

My 2011 X5 50.1 is in the shop now. It was consuming oil (without producing smoke or drips in the driveway???) and the engine would skip if you did anything other than feather the gas pedal - causing the engine failure light to come on. I was provided a 2014 328 as a loaner - Considering I was sick about the idea of paying thousands for repairs, I am not complaining a bit. I already had the fuel injectors and vent lines replaced in 2014. Their process is to run diagnostics on the car and replace all of the qualifying parts. I was told this is about 18 hours in labor and around $8K USD. I would recommend any of you who qualify to get in now. My guess would be a backorder on parts shortly.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Contacted my SA. He didn't even hesitate. Said that they've set up a call center to coordinate all the repairs and needs. Told me to wait for that call back. He didn't sound enthused to hear my voice. I assume it's not pleasant over there. I'll keep you all posted on what I hear back from the call center.

Sad times.

Past:
2012 550i Sport
2010 535i xdrive
Old 01-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
While they have your engines apart, now would be a good time to have them replace belts, hoses, thermostats, etc. Should be very little if any extra labor involved.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport
I just called Rallye BMW in Westbury, NY... Initially the person on the phone wasn't aware of a recall. I provided the bulletin number and "name" of the recall and she found it. She stated Rallye was awaiting parts from BMW. Once they receive the parts, owners will start receiving letters.

On a side note.. I've had the "drive train malfunction"... they replaced my injectors... and shortly there after I received a msg about low voltage on my battery... so the battery was replaced as well.

I'm really curious as to the "incentives" for trade-in...

Good luck all!

Rich
Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
While they have your engines apart, now would be a good time to have them replace belts, hoses, thermostats, etc. Should be very little if any extra labor involved.
I somehow doubt they would be willing to do any extra work and only charge for additional labor while the engine is apart....My car had to be towed to BMW due to the drive train issue and I had to authorize a diagnostics fee before they would even look to see if the items covered under the campaign might need to be replaced.

Last edited by mjolley9; 01-05-2015 at 12:34 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search