N63 pre & post-CCP service database - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaker6 View Post
Just got my '11 550i. Runs like a dream now *knock wood* but I scheduled the CCP SIB0001314 anyway, because well - why not. Better safe than sorry with this N63. Didn't know about any of this until After I got the car of course. Traded in my E92 for it, hope this wasn't a huge mistake.
Will update as events occur...
Congrats on the purchase, what's the odometer reading?
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i 2011 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Congrats on the purchase, what's the odometer reading?
Thanks! I love the car, but I just cursed myself...Odometer just hit 76k. PROBLEM

All was well yesterday, then I was in a right turn, the car was rolling to yield, but did not stop fully. I was going around 4 mph. after making the turn, I pushed the accel pedal 1/2 way, and the transmission freaked out, couldn't decide what gear to pick, and the whole car acted like it got kicked in the nuts.

It sputtered, it was powerless and the dash flickered with the transmission light, and the cluster read, "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" in bright red letters. Luckily I was close to home, got in my driveway and the whole car shook at idle. I shut it off and waited. turned it back on and it was fine. Vehicle status read All OK...well clearly not.

Anyone know what the hell this is about? Is this part of the injector failures? Will this be fixed by performing the CCP?? I read it could be the fuel issue that BMW has no remedy for yet. Interesting to note, the guage was at 1/4 tank with under 100 mi. range left. Would being lower than half tank contribute to this issue considering the fuel pump recall pending??

I drove it to work this morning paranoid as all hell, and it was pretty much ok. it did sputter a couple times. There is a straight shot by my work, I put it into sport mode and punched it, it went beast with no problems at all.

I don't get it. what the hell is going on? I'm deep in debt with this thing now and I HATE driving around with that feeling that at any second it is going to break down.

Thanks for any answers and help. I am starting to miss my E92...

Last edited by wallmaker6; 03-22-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i GT
N63 pre & post-CCP service database

The first things I would check are the water lines to the turbo. If the turbos are not getting coolant, the ECU will "tell" the wastegates of the turbos will remain open, so you don't get full power.

Also, when was the last time your plugs and coils were changed?

After you fix what you see is wrong, the codes must be reset/cleared so the car gets out of limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; 03-22-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyBeltran View Post
The first things I would check are the water lines to the turbo. If the turbos are not getting coolant, the ECU will "tell" the wastegates of the turbos will remain open, so you don't get full power.

Also, when was the last time your plugs and coils were changed?

After you fix what you see is wrong, the codes must be reset/cleared so the car gets out of limp mode.

Thanks for the tip man, I will check out the lines of the turbos. if they are loose, which I hear is common due to crappy clamps, then that could be a contributing factor. I am a noob to the N63 engine. but I am quite handy, and frequently changed oil, sparks, coils and other sensors on my previous car, N52 328i. I just got this F10 so I am not sure when the coils and plugs were last done. I assume never since the odo is at 76k. I think I would do this myself after studying. I know the plugs sit at an angle in the head. those clever germans.
Hoping the CCP will clear up this issue. I will keep posting info.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Thanks! I love the car, but I just cursed myself...Odometer just hit 76k. PROBLEM

All was well yesterday, then I was in a right turn, the car was rolling to yield, but did not stop fully. I was going around 4 mph. after making the turn, I pushed the accel pedal 1/2 way, and the transmission freaked out, couldn't decide what gear to pick, and the whole car acted like it got kicked in the nuts.

It sputtered, it was powerless and the dash flickered with the transmission light, and the cluster read, "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" in bright red letters. Luckily I was close to home, got in my driveway and the whole car shook at idle. I shut it off and waited. turned it back on and it was fine. Vehicle status read All OK...well clearly not.

Anyone know what the hell this is about? Is this part of the injector failures? Will this be fixed by performing the CCP?? I read it could be the fuel issue that BMW has no remedy for yet. Interesting to note, the guage was at 1/4 tank with under 100 mi. range left. Would being lower than half tank contribute to this issue considering the fuel pump recall pending??

I drove it to work this morning paranoid as all hell, and it was pretty much ok. it did sputter a couple times. There is a straight shot by my work, I put it into sport mode and punched it, it went beast with no problems at all.

I don't get it. what the hell is going on? I'm deep in debt with this thing now and I HATE driving around with that feeling that at any second it is going to break down.

Thanks for any answers and help. I am starting to miss my E92...
This sounds like a cylinder misfire, which has most often been associated with an injector failure (prior to upgrading the injectors to the newest model, or in BMW nomenclature, index injector). We had this occur after all the injectors were updated and the CCP performed...to which the initial response was no issue and upon further pressing someone discovered to be a coil/spark plug failure. Long story short, there are a number of failures that can cause the symptom you describe and you need to read the fault codes to ID the cause. If you are feeling brave, try to recreate the parameters and see if the problem re-occurs then take it back to the dealer, if they're reputable they will want you to be a happy customer.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 AM

Great advice. I'm hoping it's a combo of ccp and old sparks coils. I tried to recreate last night, but it acted normally. Figures. I also put it into manumatic, and shifted gears with the paddles, no issue there. I might keep driving that way. Also filled her up full. I'm wondering if the car when low on fuel with crap injectors and crap fuel pumps makes misfires more frequently...
Good advice on reading the codes. I believe there is an unlock screen on the cluster to read them?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 AM
There is no spoon

I was referencing using the OBDII port to read the codes. I can't access codes from our dash display in our 2010 GT so I bought a cable and requested the software from here. If I were in your position I wouldn't wait, I would call some local auto part stores to see if they have a code reader you can use right there at the store. If they don't have an explanation of the codes you can always start a thread in the F10 forum asking what the codes mean and someone will be able to tell you the code description. I.e code xxxx = cylinder 1 misfire.

As for the gas theory, I'd be surprised if low volume (1/4 tank) of gas was the culprit. Ethanol or other pollutant (like water) is always a possibile cause, but (for whatever it's worth) IMO unlikely if using any name brand station with decent patronage.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Dropped it off at the dealer for CCP and timing chain check campaigns. Also made an official request for the parts for the fuel system recall. Anyway, b4 I drove it to the dealer, I checked codes in the cluster...Link how to do this below...I found a CCID 029 = Enine Trouble. No help there. And interestingly 717 = Input Turbine Speed Sensor. Which is located on the transmission. If that sensor is dying, that may explain my transmission skip and engine limp the other day. Will update as needed.
Cluster code read and other things -

Last edited by wallmaker6; 03-23-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 AM

Hello all.

I hate that I love this car so much...When it's good, its oh so good. Got it back from the dealer, which I am unimpressed with, I will be reviewing them in the appropriate forum, which is an awesome idea. Anyway they performed all CCP part replacement except for the timing chain, was in spec, and the injectors were the latest version. Replaced a fuel sensor, and Car running very good now but I decided to get new Sparks and Coils for this beast. As I have no idea when they were done last, and I like doing it, might as well do it. I have been doing some research on DIYs, there isn't much out there, but a couple sweet posts that should help. Waiting for coils...Im actually looking forward to doing it. Curious how the sparks look.
Got them at a pretty good price off of Ebay, yes...Ebay. I matched part numbers, and verified with the highly positively rated seller. I think sparks x8 and coils x8 with shipping was around 200. not bad at all!

The tech at BMW recommended I change the turbo oil return lines, which are "leaking." Could be so, but I am NOT paying the stealership 3k to do it. They can suck it. I found a good indie that is very reputable and certified to do it for under 9 hundo. If you are in San Deigo, and need an awesome indy BMW shop - B and B Autohaus is your place.

I got the car home, opened the hood and looked around. I noticed something interesting, one of the coolant lines looked like it had been strategically scored with a knife...it had some pipe fibers sticking out and was a little buldgy. I wouldn't put it past a tech to score a hose, only to have it burst and have me come back in and spend thousands of dollars.

This is only speculation of course, but normal wear vs. scoring looks very different. I made a quick fix on this little 2 inch hose so it wont burst on me. I bit the large caliber bullet, and ordered all the coolant lines to the turbos x4, and both oil lines to the turbos with gaskets and O-rings. Lets just do this. B and B said they would not charge more for the coolant lines since they are there anyway. so that is pretty cool. Looked at other hoses, minor coolant crusties here or there, but no major leaks. *Knock on wood*

I sourced all the parts off of Amazon believe it or not, and they were way cheaper than any other auto parts online store. BMW dealership Parts Departments got wise, and started selling OE parts on Amazon. Smart. They make more, I save more. we all win.

Can't wait to get my new sparks and coils in, oil and coolant lines replaced, and have this baby running 100% BEAST again.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 PM
There is no spoon

Very nice. That's a big price difference between Indy and dealership, makes it harder to justify DIYing.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Hello all.

I hate that I love this car so much...When it's good, its oh so good. Got it back from the dealer, which I am unimpressed with, I will be reviewing them in the appropriate forum, which is an awesome idea. Anyway they performed all CCP part replacement except for the timing chain, was in spec, and the injectors were the latest version. Replaced a fuel sensor, and Car running very good now but I decided to get new Sparks and Coils for this beast. As I have no idea when they were done last, and I like doing it, might as well do it. I have been doing some research on DIYs, there isn't much out there, but a couple sweet posts that should help. Waiting for coils...Im actually looking forward to doing it. Curious how the sparks look.
Got them at a pretty good price off of Ebay, yes...Ebay. I matched part numbers, and verified with the highly positively rated seller. I think sparks x8 and coils x8 with shipping was around 200. not bad at all!

The tech at BMW recommended I change the turbo oil return lines, which are "leaking." Could be so, but I am NOT paying the stealership 3k to do it. They can suck it. I found a good indie that is very reputable and certified to do it for under 9 hundo. If you are in San Deigo, and need an awesome indy BMW shop - B and B Autohaus is your place.

I got the car home, opened the hood and looked around. I noticed something interesting, one of the coolant lines looked like it had been strategically scored with a knife...it had some pipe fibers sticking out and was a little buldgy. I wouldn't put it past a tech to score a hose, only to have it burst and have me come back in and spend thousands of dollars.

This is only speculation of course, but normal wear vs. scoring looks very different. I made a quick fix on this little 2 inch hose so it wont burst on me. I bit the large caliber bullet, and ordered all the coolant lines to the turbos x4, and both oil lines to the turbos with gaskets and O-rings. Lets just do this. B and B said they would not charge more for the coolant lines since they are there anyway. so that is pretty cool. Looked at other hoses, minor coolant crusties here or there, but no major leaks. *Knock on wood*

I sourced all the parts off of Amazon believe it or not, and they were way cheaper than any other auto parts online store. BMW dealership Parts Departments got wise, and started selling OE parts on Amazon. Smart. They make more, I save more. we all win.

Can't wait to get my new sparks and coils in, oil and coolant lines replaced, and have this baby running 100% BEAST again.
How much did you spend for the job at B and B? I usually go to Euro Auto sports in Miramar due to the good reputation from my colleague but if I could pay less for the same or better quality job I would try there as well.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 550i
looking for N63 valve stem replacement Sydney Australia

Hi All

Looking to see if there are any mechanics out there who can be recommended for valve stem replacement for N63 engine ? Hoping to find a reasonably price for this work.

Was particularly interested to see if anyone is using the AGATOOLS kit to do this work?

Also, what type of valve stems should be used to replace those in the engine? Seems to be a few after market as well as an update to OEM BMW to consider.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
The two turbos on top of the N63 engine radiate a lot of heat at the center of the V. It seems that hoses and other heat sensitive parts in close proximity to the turbos are very vulnerable to all this heat. Has anyone looked into insulation wrap or heat shields to help protect parts which seem to be failing sooner than they should? I've noticed some specialty vendors are offering insulating turbo socks or blankets which fit snugly around the turbos but I'm concerned that if these were the answer BMW engineers would have specified them.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i GT
N63 pre & post-CCP service database

The "Death Valley" is a common problem that has to be Engineered out of V engines. There is already a lot of heat plates and stuff in that area except for the hoses unfortunately. Maybe BMWs idea was to have these hoses replaced every few years as part of a maintenance plan, but looking in that area, these hoses and the seal where the top cover of the engine where the oil hose comprise the "weakest" parts of the engine.

I have actually thought of adding an auxiliary blower to cool that area, but so far, the hoses after I added the heat wraps are looking good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8315.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	647545

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; 08-21-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
The two turbos on top of the N63 engine radiate a lot of heat at the center of the V. It seems that hoses and other heat sensitive parts in close proximity to the turbos are very vulnerable to all this heat. Has anyone looked into insulation wrap or heat shields to help protect parts which seem to be failing sooner than they should? I've noticed some specialty vendors are offering insulating turbo socks or blankets which fit snugly around the turbos but I'm concerned that if these were the answer BMW engineers would have specified them.
I took some photos while I was wrapping up rubber hoses underneath and above turbos. The toughest one was the vent pipes under the turbos where the y-connector fails. It was so difficult to work on due to the limited space and I guess it took almost an hour to complete only that part. All other hoses above the turbos are easy to work on and it just took less than 10 mins. I used the silicone rubber sleeves with velcro from DEI for the vent hose under the turbo and used the aluminum one with velcro for the ones above turbos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5737.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	648401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5735.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	648409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5740.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	648417  
Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 VW Passat, 2015 VW J
I'm very close to buying a CPO 2013 550i but after reading this thread....only a crazy person would buy one know about these catastrophe motor issues.

Maybe a 2014 is a better choice?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
The 2013 may be as good as the 2014 if it has the N63TU. You can look up the serial number to find out which engine it has.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 VW Passat, 2015 VW J
Thx!

I have the VIN number do you have a place you recommend searching.

Sorry this is off topic.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyk8 View Post
Thx!

I have the VIN number do you have a place you recommend searching.

Sorry this is off topic.

bmwvin.com

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 08-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPeter View Post
I've had my trouble free '11 550i for nearly a year and a half. (I'm feeling lucky here!) CCP was performed and the oil consumption has improved noticeably. I'm planning, or hoping to, keep the car for another two years and sell at 100k miles.

My question for the forum is what extended warranty plan would the group recommend for the N63?

I like carchek. A little pricy but good coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: '10 550GT
I guess there is hope for those of to sell our N63s someday as people keep buying them without doing any research....crazy.

As for the heat blankets above on the hoses - do they do anything at all given that there has to be complete heat soak in the engine compartment? I would be curious if you used an IR gun to check temps and see if they make any difference at all...I am guessing very very little and perhaps nothing at all....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: '10 550GT
I guess there is hope for those of to sell our N63s someday as people keep buying them without doing any research....crazy.

As for the heat blankets above on the hoses - do they do anything at all given that there has to be complete heat soak in the engine compartment? I would be curious if you used an IR gun to check temps and see if they make any difference at all...I am guessing very very little and perhaps nothing at all....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 Sport
+ Had my 2011 done the summer of last year around 75K miles... at that time the fuel milage had gone to complete ****, I was getting around 10 mpg. I bought the car in 2014 at around 30K miles.

+ Had to sort of tell the dealer what CCP was, they didn't want to do it at first, they didn't want to give me a car... they finally gave me a 330i. At that point I just needed the car. They had the car about 4 days if I remember correctly.

+ After it was done it was clear the tuning was different - the car just didn't run like it did prior, like they detuned it or something.

+ I'm at 95K miles now and been smoking bad the last 10K miles.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
After reading this thread, I'm sort of confused.

What year 550i,750's,650's are effected? Is this a recall from BMW, and are all N63 cars covered? How long will BMW cover the CCP?

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto:
N63 update
Wow! BMW of Louisville rocks. My SA submitted to BMWNA authorization for engine replacement for 2011 550i with 81000 miles for valve stems. Bad news no new engine, good news repairs equal $10000 with no cost to me. Just got back and I am excited as hell! For how long????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search