Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
I also have one with rear monitor support. However I don't want it to be broken, it is rare.
Anyway don't ask me to sokder something, and I don't know how to test anything in those circuits...
I will revert when I find it and open to confirm

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's why I don't want to break my hybrid RES since they are not so easy to come by at a reasonable price since they are used in so many car models.

I just need the i2c signal to be traced to those pins so I can solder on some cables on mine to do the testing.

I don't know however if it can be trace without desoldering that board

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
Yeah that's why I don't want to break my hybrid RES since they are not so easy to come by at a reasonable price since they are used in so many car models.

I just need the i2c signal to be traced to those pins so I can solder on some cables on mine to do the testing.

I don't know however if it can be trace without desoldering that board

First I will open, then we'll agree how to proceed

Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
First I will open, then we'll agree how to proceed

Absolutely!

Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 AM

Well, u c that my old VM is something rather different.
Don't think I can open those metal covers without desoldering.
Is this helpful at all?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
Some modules are different .there are video modules that get in analogue or digital or both but then there are modules that only act as a video source switch only and do not have a tuner built in atall .i think i have 1 of them here sumewhere il c if i can find it and gladly send it to if it helps im nearly sure its actually for a res setup from the states or australia but its only a switch no tuner

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Wow that's totally different from the ones that I have seen taken apart
Do you see any chip with the markings of VPD3134Y? Or any other chip that could be the video switch?
So that one won't work for me at least since mine is completely different. I can't even confirm if your version has the wiring for the aux input. Althoug it should..

Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Wow that's totally different from the ones that I have seen taken apart
Do you see any chip with the markings of VPD3134Y? Or any other chip that could be the video switch?
So that one won't work for me at least since mine is completely different. I can't even confirm if your version has the wiring for the aux input. Althoug it should..

That's one of the first versions probably. Since it is from a car of 2002.
Well, I have another newer one. Later I open that one. Then look for the chip

Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post
Some modules are different .there are video modules that get in analogue or digital or both but then there are modules that only act as a video source switch only and do not have a tuner built in atall .i think i have 1 of them here sumewhere il c if i can find it and gladly send it to if it helps im nearly sure its actually for a res setup from the states or australia but its only a switch no tuner

I didn't know there were VMs without the tuner. I had just thought that there were only 4 versions: vm with analog tuner for one screen, vm with analog tuner for 2 screens, vm with both digital and analog tuner for 1 or 2 screen. The more you know Haha.

But yeah that would also be very helpful.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I didn't know there were VMs without the tuner. I had just thought that there were only 4 versions: vm with analog tuner for one screen, vm with analog tuner for 2 screens, vm with both digital and analog tuner for 1 or 2 screen. The more you know Haha.

But yeah that would also be very helpful.

They are called video switch. Rather popular in US. I gues they worked as the video signal router or smth like that

Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Yeah .what i found was
Vm with analogue for front screen
Vm with analogue for front and rear screens
Vm with analogue/digital for front screen called hybrid
Vm with analogue / digital for res setup called 5drive
And then vm with digital only for front screen fbas
Vm with digital only for res setup
Their were cars with no vm atall and source was route through the navi
And then there was a vm with no tuner for res and non res cars called a video switch .
These were mostly usa/ canada variants
Then there is a settop box setup for germany too

Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Looking at the Tis material for the RR1 it appears that its dual rear screen system don't use the lvds splitter. The rear MMI has 2 lvds outputs instead
I think that may be because the screens can be controlled independently from one another if I'm not wrong.

Also the pinout for the VM has "video switch" listed on pin 1

Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Well I tried to have a look inside mine again to see if I could trace anything but I realized that the VDP3134Y B2 chips in my VM looks different from the one in the datasheet. My 2 chips are squared with pins on all 4 sides whilst the one in my datasheet is rectangular with pins on just 2 sides so I couldn't determine the location of the i2c pins.

I also tried to desolder the riser board shield but was unsuccessful and since I don't want to break it that was as far as I got.

On a side note I have just received my flash programmer and am just waiting for the tsop48 adapter to arrive

Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM

I wonder if the lvds signal is compatible with digital DVI? it seems to use pretty much the same signals and balanced rgb

I hope this is just some variant of digital dvi in that case the video converter output will be easy from the mmi.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi...sual_Interface

Here is a pinout of DVI-D (dual link so just ignore data link 2) so it seems to have exactly the same signals. I just don't know if the DDC pins need to be wired up.

So I hope the systems use somewhat the same signal information (bits and color space and so on)

Last edited by vibbelito; 05-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM

I think this would work? So if you just make a cable wired like this fom the lvds out to a DVI-D input, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

As for the ground connections I'm not entirely sure how they should be wired, maybe just all gnd together.

Sorry for my not so great drawing.

And then you could just use some dvi-d to hdmi converter
I would try this myself (just connect the mmi to a PC monitor with dvi-d support) if my rear mmi wasn't still broken...

Edit: HDMI seems to use exactly the same signals as DVI-D so it might be easier just making it directly to hdmi. Althoug it seems that the TMDS signals used by dvi and hdmi is not entirely the same as lvds so it might not work but I would probably try it anyway. Either way they are not that different (something about DC-coupling https://electronics.stackexchange.co...pport-for-tmds ) so making a converter would most likely be possible if it doesn't work straight out of the box.

Last edited by vibbelito; 05-22-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Now I have my prototype LVDS to HDMI cable so now I just need a working MMI to test it

I could test it if it wasn't for that I think the rear LCD screen (that the mmi sends picture to) only turns on to accept input signal when receiving the right CAN message from the rear mmi which is not present in my car at the moment.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 PM

Well my programmer finally arrived but I don't know if this adapter is bad, if I broke the memory chips when I broke the board of if I broke the chip when I desoldered it without a hot air station. I just get a pin detection error no matter how much I polish the pins. So I don't dare to desolder the other chip on this board or the ones in my good MMI.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:44 AM

Sorry for delay heres pics of the video switch module and some of a uk digital res module

Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I think this would work? So if you just make a cable wired like this fom the lvds out to a DVI-D input, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

As for the ground connections I'm not entirely sure how they should be wired, maybe just all gnd together.

Sorry for my not so great drawing.

And then you could just use some dvi-d to hdmi converter
I would try this myself (just connect the mmi to a PC monitor with dvi-d support) if my rear mmi wasn't still broken...

Edit: HDMI seems to use exactly the same signals as DVI-D so it might be easier just making it directly to hdmi. Althoug it seems that the TMDS signals used by dvi and hdmi is not entirely the same as lvds so it might not work but I would probably try it anyway. Either way they are not that different (something about DC-coupling https://electronics.stackexchange.co...pport-for-tmds ) so making a converter would most likely be possible if it doesn't work straight out of the box.
Wow, thanks for this. I will use it as well, although one of the chinese refused to make that cable. Have to look for another one.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry for delay heres pics of the video switch module and some of a uk digital res module

The digital tuner looks almost identical to my hybrid tuner. I can't spot the difference at least.

The video switch only version looks really interesting.
Am I correct that it is for both rear and front?
And what is the markings on those 2 chips on that extra board? I suspect those are the video switches. I might have to source one of those as it looks perfect for testing and intercepting the switch signals!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 AM

Yeah its for a res setup .pm me ur address and il send it to u as its no good to me and if it helps u further this project im happy to help as id be into been able to upgrafe the system

Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, thanks for this. I will use it as well, although one of the chinese refused to make that cable. Have to look for another one.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t.../#post-1395688

I tried to connect my cable from my laptop directly to the screen but as I suspected it didn't work as the screen turns on by can bus command from the rear mmi and my PC doesn't want to output video over HDMI without exchanging some commands with the screen to set picture size refresh rates and so on. So this might have to be emulated in order for an external monitor to accept input from the MMI. If it will work in the first place. So we can only hope the protocols are compatible. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

Here's some pictures of the rear screen.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 AM

My individual res setup 6.5" screen twin has an on and off button below the screen on the back of the seats so maybe the can message can be bypassed

Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 AM

And the screens used in the individual setup are suppose to be the same as whats in the rear fond screen .i know when its on its identical in every way to the twin screens

Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
My individual res setup 6.5" screen twin has an on and off button below the screen on the back of the seats so maybe the can message can be bypassed

I have sent you a PM.

I think that button only replaces the switch that is integrated in the folding arm for the normal (single) rear screen. And I would guess that if you were to remove your rear idrive computer you won't be able to turn on the screens with the on/off button either?

I think this is the panel used for the RES online 9.5" displays https://www.lcds-display.com/product...parameter.html

If BMW are consistent and keeps with the same OEM (Sharp) for all displays and this was their only 9.5 inch display I could find.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 PM

Hi,
what do You think of this pair of screens from newer models than e65.
It seems that there is a different type LVDS input than in e65. However, maybe similar?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search