Transmission cripple mode - reset? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530xi Wagon
Transmission cripple mode - reset?

HISTORY:
I have a 2006 530xi wagon with auto transmission. For the past 3-4 years it has very occasionally (twice a year maybe) gone into transmission cripple mode where it is stuck in first gear. When this happens, I simply pull over and shut the car off and start it up again and the error is cleared and everything is fine for several months until it happens again.

I can drive cross country without any issues, the error only happens when I'm stuck in stop and go commute traffic (San Francisco Bay Area) and it always happens after letting off the gas to slow down and then pushing on the gas again (hear a whirring sound and BAM locked in first and transmission fault). The fault code (sorry don't remember it) is always the same and regarding a clutch slipping.

About a year ago, it threw the fault and this time it wouldn't reset after shutting the car off. I had to drive in first gear all the way home. Took it to the local independent, they cleared the error for free and quoted a transmission replacement. Since then it has happened a few times and always clears itself if I shut the car off.

MY QUESTION:
IS there a counter and did it stick in fault mode because it had faulted a certain number of times? I mean have I got 20 more faults before it sticks and won't reset without a trip to the shop? OR did it stick that time because the fault was a little more drastic?

The reason I ask ... I'm retired and don't drive much but I do enjoy taking cross country trips. Hate to spend the money on a new transmission and I've been getting by just fine with it being able to pull over and stop/start the car. And if it were to stick and not reset when I'm here local, it's no big deal to drive home in first. BUT I would hate to be out in the middle of Nevada and have it stick and have to drive in first gear all the way to Salt Lake City or back to California to find a BMW shop.

Another question: If I get a DCAN cable and the software (I have the preferred lenovo laptop on hand already) is the reset something I can learn to do easily in case I get stuck out in the desert? Is there a simple and easy tutorial for using the software so I could do that reset by the side of the road if I had to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
can relate

Hi Andy. I've experienced similar issues in my 2008 535i. The issues increased to the point where I finally took to my mechanic who has now put on new Solenoids. I'm waiting to see if this takes care of it. Am debating selling the car that I really love at this point.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...C7vhoCfR7w_wcB

better then a laptop..
can be done WHILE driving.. (if you can do that saftly, with out crashing)

you dont need INPA.. thats a Administrative level tool.. that a lot of you guys should not be using

ALSO.. the link that i just gave is to ECS.... THE NT510 is the SAME exact tool.. with out the pretty paint and case...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Foxwell-NT510...d=122690758355

15486372<-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi Wagon
Thanks for those links to the tool. I've got one on order and I'll feel a lot safer crossing the desert knowing I have a way to reset if I get stuck in cripple mode.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
make your account at foxwell.com

you will need the serial number off the back of the scanner to input it to your data base once you get it

Its not just a bmw scanner.. its a what ever software you want to buy and load on to it scanner..

benz, honda, audi, you name it.. its all available (only 3 makes loaded at a time though) Im rocking obd2 (*comes standard) and bmw specific... I have room for one more.. BUt i dont need to yet

best scanner ive used in a long time.. and ive spent about 5,000$ with snap on for scanners over the last years

15486372<-----

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
dcan cable, transmission fault

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search