Nasty Parasitic Draw 2010 535xi M-Pack, Please Help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335is Convertible
Nasty Parasitic Draw 2010 535xi M-Pack, Please Help

Hi guys,

Purchased the car about 1.5 years ago and it came with this battery drain message, in maybe like a week battery drains so much that I have to charge it to start the car. Battery is 2 years old original BMW and it holds charge as long as the negative terminal is off.

So what I tried I measured all the fuses and only fuse 32 had a bit of drain 0.07 volts even after car went to sleep. I hear no noise once car goes to slip, everything is off P from the shiftier and start/stop button goes off. I removed fuse 32 and comfort access Fuse 36 but still has the increased battery drain when I start it.

Battery holds charge over 24 h without anything on it so that`s good. I tried to measure amperage but I wasn't too successful will try later but anyways measuring fuses after car went to sleep I see 0.0 that tells me a lot.

I have airbag light on and I had some issues with my horn etc I replaced the clock spring and that went away. So I expect something with the ABS module of that steering wheel module again, which relays or fuses should I disconnect to test ?

IBS cable disconnected doesn't make any differences

Thank you

Last edited by nasu; 06-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xdrive
The only way to test battery drain is by using an ammeter. I assume that the resistance of a typical fuse is quite low. Just because you do not see a voltage drop across it does not mean that there may be current flowing through it.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xdrive
I stand corrected. Here is a video with a chart of fuse voltage drop vs current.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Ok guys this is getting worst. I did both the voltage drop and amperage pulled all fuses out, relays from the back and the front, wiring harness plugs from the front and rear panels and no matter what I am currently running .280 .140 no matter what.
I am lost now and this is getting a bit more complex. A few more things I guess I need to check out.
1. Remove the DME harness and watch the amperage drop ...
2. disconnect the starter
3. disconnect the alternator

Question from the batter positive I got 2 wires. 1 wire goes to the rear panel and one goes to the front ? Also from the rear panel there is another significant red wire that goes somewhere.
As soon as I disconnect the red wire from the battery that goes to the rear panel it all goes to 0.00 draw. I guess I should still see some mA so I guess that doesn't tell me much right ?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Removed the DME and it's still the same thing.
Disconnected the positive cable from the front jump start terminal which I believe goes to either the starter or the alternator but again it doesn't seem to do anything.

At this point I expect the Power Distribution module in the rear with all the fuses.. how can I test to confirm ? Remove all the fuses from the rear , connectors I guess right ? There is a red cable in there with some special cover ..how do I remove that and where does it go ?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have posted here on BF an excerpt from BMW Advanced Vehicle Diagnostics, a number of times, that shows how to use a voltmeter to find which intact fuse is carrying current. AGAIN

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...light=Advanced
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-12-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Any idea guys ? I also checked and disconnect all the front (passenger glove box fuses, forgot to mentioned in the video)

Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM

I did remove the positive cable from the front jump post ( starter part )which also cuts power from the alternator and it's still 250 mA draw
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto:
I feel your pain.
I've had mine for 5 months and can't find source of increased battery discharge
Old 06-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I have posted here on BF an excerpt from BMW Advanced Vehicle Diagnostics, a number of times, that shows how to use a voltmeter to find which intact fuse is carrying current. AGAIN

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...light=Advanced
!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Hi guys,
Been fighting this from when I purchased the car, I wish I knew this eh well I am learning. I did pull out all fuses, relays, computers etc I couldn't find the drain until this red cable that goes from rear fuse box to the front fuse box, as soon as I disconnect that all drops off. Please watch the video. I even connected it straight to the battery it doesn't make any difference battery still drains.

What do you think? does the cable split anywhere or it's one piece ? I found one on ebay looks like one piece

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Not sure if it splits or not.

Did u by chance check to see if that wire has continuity to ground?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM

how do I check if the positive wire has continuity to ground ? I saw that wire on ebay seems to be one piece and it doesn't split .
Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xit
Resistance mode on the multimeter. Touch the negative battery terminal with one end, the other the wire you want to test. 5ish ohms means there's continuity.

You should get a bmw scan tool so you can read the data off the IBS. Disconnecting it will just stop datalogging. Reading codes can tell you how much current you're leaking and other codes might indicate where. If that doesn't lead anywhere, then you can hook up your multimeter in current mode and run a sleep test. The various subsystems shut down one after the other and by noting when the current draw stops you can narrow down what to look at.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/YQ2rFZv

Last edited by Kurt_; 06-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

looks like that cable is one piece and part #*61119243091

how can it draw power if it's disconnected on the other end ? If cable is broken inside it can't draw power... unless somewhere on the line someone decided to tap in right ?*
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I do measure data off IBS and it says it's fine not drawing anything.. I guess it's bypassing it somehow.... that`s why it doesnt show on ISTA+ ?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
how do I check if the positive wire has continuity to ground ? I saw that wire on ebay seems to be one piece and it doesn't split .
Someone explained it already, but in case you did not follow.....

In simplest terms (I think). There is probably a setting on your meter, where if your on that setting the display says "OL"

On that setting, probe your red wire in the car with one of your multi-meter leads. Put your other meter lead on a chassis ground, or the battery ground terminal.

If display changes from "OL" to a numeric reading, or the meter starts beeping.... This means that somewhere in that wire, it is cut, melted or freyed, and is touching the chassis of the vehicle.

The OL means Open Loop (the 2 places you are probing are not connected).

If you did not have an open loop between a + and a -... That would be a "short to ground"
Old 06-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
You also need to wait until terminal 30g is shut off (30 minutes) to test a parasitic draw. I think you can also turn it off in ISTA. Or maybe just pull the relay. Fuse F86 in the rear is supplied by 30g, you can check that if it is off.
Read these, it might help
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/1rlWQRj
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/1u18ALZ

Here's a diagram that might help

Last edited by Markst; 06-18-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xit
The intelligent battery sensor will tell you if it detects stray current it can't account for. Something along the lines of "closed circuit current violation". It compares the current somehow of each stage of sleep mode. If it sees more current than expected, it can tell you which terminal/relay is drawing current, but won't be able to narrow it down to a specific fuse. At least it narrows it down.

It's weird you're getting nothing on the IBS, but apparently it's a thing that can happen.

The cable could be connected in more than one place. Have you checked it for a short to ground?
If you can find a wiring diagram or match the cable on an installation location image, you'll be able to trace it to a particular consumer more easily. I suspect it's the one in the above image from the rear distribution block to the front one, on the 200A fuse.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rgy-diagnosis/

Last edited by Kurt_; 06-19-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Thanks everyone, it's fixed. Someone tapped into that red power wire and found it , remove it , unfortunately I started from the front and removed the chair and a lot of other things. I measured resistance with ground and it was high about 7.5 ohms, way to high. Thanks everyone for helping out with this, feels so great even tho I spend 20 + hours I saved big bucks and learned a lot. Sorry for my "french" I was very pissed off to find it there...

Last edited by nasu; 06-29-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks everyone, it's fixed. Someone tapped into that red power wire and found it , remove it , unfortunately I started from the front and removed the chair and a lot of other things. I measured resistance with ground and it was high about 7.5 ohms, way to high. Thanks everyone for helping out with this, feels so great even tho I spend 20 + hours I saved big bucks and learned a lot. Sorry for my "french" I was very pissed off to find it there...

Way to go!

Still no clue what's draining my power. Don't have the patience to tear my car apart.

Glad u found the culprit.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
Quote:

I would find out where that wire goes to, maybe it's something like Lojack. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
Didnt we just have one of these threads where it turned out to be the alternator?

15486372<-----
Old 06-30-2019, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Didnt we just have one of these threads where it turned out to be the alternator?
Maybe.

Definitely not the alternator in my case. I've already replaced my alternator, regulator, and battery.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
Nasu,

Cripes -- what a PITA. Congrats on finding it. Damn tough fix to find -- wiring bundle failures are the worst.

FCP sells the wrap tape in rolls, when you start cleaning up the mess someone left you.

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 12+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 06-30-2019 at 07:38 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search