Bmw x5 F15 AdBlue incorrect fluid issue! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner, shopping for a new or used BMW or just interested in cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the Bimmerfest BMW community to see.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Bmw x5 F15 AdBlue incorrect fluid issue!

Hi there i am new to this forum though iv had BMW's for the whole of my life! I recently got my X5 40D loving it until about a month ago i started to get the Adblue wrong fluid and Adblue system error. Iv had it to get it checked out. They cleared the error codes and told me its all ok now! It happened again! So i went back the flushed the old Adblue and topped it up with new fresh one. Again i kept on getting the error. I went back so they suggested to change the injector of the Adblue! Everytime i would get the Adblue error i would turn off the car and the error would disappear until driving for longer the 40mins! After changing the injector the error was always on! So i was told to drive on a open road for approximately 15miles (20km) and that error would go. Which it did and i thought the issue was resolved. But it wasnt im still getting this error code when i drive for more than 40mins. I m very sad about it as i love the car. I think they have no other idea what to do next. Iv also contacted BMW Germany for help but the didnt help. Iv read on some posts that it could be the before and after NOX Sensors. Please if someone can help who knows more about this. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 04:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
First, post to the diesel subforum.

Yes, very likely your issue is failing NOx sensors. Bad DEF is a conclusion based on insufficient apparent effect of a known injection of DEF. There is no such thing as bad DEF. Much of the SCR system has extended warranty.

The passive tank is fragile. Only the loving owner should fill the passive tank and YOU must learn how to do it gently.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for your reply Doug! What is the passive tank? And do you think i should definitely change the NOX senors. I am travelling into europe with kids on a 1500 mile journey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
BMW SCR design objective is for SCR-DEF service-fill interval to match the Oil Change Interval, 10K or 15K miles, and the Universal DEF usage rate is about 2% to 6% fuel use rate. Also DEF freezes at -11°C. So the small active tank contains most of the components of the SCR system and a heater. The larger DEF passive SCR DEF tank is passively heated by the nearby exhaust system and is otherwise well insulated to retain that heat. The detail, volumes, piping arrangements vary with the platform.

Your BMW Service Center should execute the appropriate BMW Test PlanŠ as directed by the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. You should not throw parts at a problem.

A Diagnostic Trouble Code does NOT indicate a failed part to be changed, but indicates a symptom that may be caused by any number of failed components or adjustments to be differentiated amongst by execution of the BMW Test PlanŠ guide through the fault tree. For instance, in your case, the NOx sensor code could be caused by a broken wire at the ECU a meter away from the actual sensor.

The NOx sensors are very high-tech, TAG, but operate in an extremely adverse environment.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you! I have the car rebooked again to get it checked! So lets see!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > New Member Introductions
Today's Posts Search