Question about the Multi Point inspection of my 340i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Question about the Multi Point inspection of my 340i

Today Valencia BMW did a Multi-Point inspection of my 2016 340i. They pointed out the obvious to me that I needed new tires. I said thanks but no thanks I have a tire dealer that I use. When I got home I noticed on the inspection sheet, stapled onto the back of the other sheets,
that they had written down "Oil Seepage Leak from Turbo Charger". Under the needed attention boxes they checked off the following:
*Steering & Suspension condition
*Fluid leaks inspection
*Engine coolant level and Condition

What baffles me is the fact that these issues were never brought to my attention. I still have a new car warranty. I am at 33,000 miles. Don't they have to fix these under this warranty?

Thank You

Glenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Question about the Multi Point inspection of my 340i

Yes, absolutely. The critical issue is the sealing of oil from the turbo. This indicates that a seal in the turbo is bad. Btw, the turbo is lubricated with oil from the engine. Fixing the leak will require the replacement of at least the turbo. I say ďat leastĒ as in some BMWs the entire exhaust manifold has to be replaced to replace the turbo.

How frequently do you change the oil and filter? I am a believer in changing the oil and filter of a turbo charged engine every 5000 miles. Yup! So why does BMW say to change the oil at longer mileage intervals? BMW doesnít make any money on servicing cars. They make it by sell you a new car. So if the car suffers a major failure (such as a blown turbocharger) once the car is out if warranty youíll likely walk over to the showroom to buy a new car.

My advice is to talk with the Service Manager (SM) about the inspection results. Bring the paper with you, obviously. Be polite but be firm. If you think you may be uncomfortable talking about the technical issues (or if you think the SM will basically ignore your concerns), bring a friend who has some technical knowledge.

I have access to a auto hobby shop at the local military base as Iím retired US Navy. So while my 2018 M240i (it has a turbo; heís my 5th BMW) has less then 10k miles on the odometer, Iíve changed the oil and filter several times in addition to the dealer provided annual changes. I use LiquiMoly 5W30 Spec 4200 oil and an oil filter from a dealer. However, I track the car which stresses the engine and its oil.

Last edited by marcozandrini; 06-10-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
It's both odd & unfortunate that the service advisor seemed to be more interested in "selling" you tires than attending to the more relevant (and IMPORTANT) issues that would be covered under your warranty.
Certainly warrants a discussion with the SA "first" ... I'm sure you realize how going "over his/her head" right away could add strain to the relationship.
Afteraall, maybe it was an "oversight" because of how service staff are compensated. If you find your chat doesn't meet with your approval, a talk with the manager is warranted.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Luigi, I concur with your recommendation to see the service advisor (SA) first.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Wow you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the great advice.
This is my second BMW. CcÁgg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
If its anything like the multipoint at my dealership some of that stuff is automatically selected if certain things are quoted, Bmw warrenty doesnt cover seepage under warrenty so it would have to be an active leak (aka dripping or more than seepage) to be covered.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Well they wrote:
Oil seepage/Leak from Turbocharger
Checked off the following for nr
Needing attention: engine coolant level & condition.
Fluid leaks jnspection
Steering and suspension condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM

The dealer replied to me today
I would like to have the car returned and have me get it checked again. Please
Iíll provide a loaner

Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Yes, absolutely. The critical issue is the sealing of oil from the turbo. This indicates that a seal in the turbo is bad. Btw, the turbo is lubricated with oil from the engine. Fixing the leak will require the replacement of at least the turbo. I say ďat leastĒ as in some BMWs the entire exhaust manifold has to be replaced to replace the turbo.

How frequently do you change the oil and filter? I am a believer in changing the oil and filter of a turbo charged engine every 5000 miles. Yup! So why does BMW say to change the oil at longer mileage intervals? BMW doesnít make any money on servicing cars. They make it by sell you a new car. So if the car suffers a major failure (such as a blown turbocharger) once the car is out if warranty youíll likely walk over to the showroom to buy a new car.

My advice is to talk with the Service Manager (SM) about the inspection results. Bring the paper with you, obviously. Be polite but be firm. If you think you may be uncomfortable talking about the technical issues (or if you think the SM will basically ignore your concerns), bring a friend who has some technical knowledge.

I have access to a auto hobby shop at the local military base as Iím retired US Navy. So while my 2018 M240i (it has a turbo; heís my 5th BMW) has less then 10k miles on the odometer, Iíve changed the oil and filter several times in addition to the dealer provided annual changes. I use LiquiMoly 5W30 Spec 4200 oil and an oil filter from a dealer. However, I track the car which stresses the engine and its oil.

The dealer called me back today and said,
ĒI would like to have the car returned and have me get it checked again. Please
Iíll provide a loanerĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 AM

Great news!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Hi first of all thank you for the great advise.
When I brought my var in today I stayed firm and dealt with the SA.
When I went over the 3 boxes checked that needed attention the SA said that the STEERING and SUSPENSION CONDITION has to do with my car needing to be aligned and needing new tires. I was floored when the SA blamed steering and suspension on the tires. I do need new tires in about 3 months. Ultimately, the multi-point inspection done by the tech contradicts the final invoice I received.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Iíd find another dealer if possible. It sounds like that dealer isnít very honest.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search