96 Z3 Alarm questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
96 Z3 Alarm questions

Hello all another question.

I have read several threads, even replied to a rather old one with no response so decide to start a new thread.

I have checked under the hood, and I do have the alarm siren, when I turn the car off I get three chirps, like meepmeep, meepmeep, meepmeep, best I can do for a sound, as I understand it that means the alarm will not turn on or set, I did replace the radio however I did unplug the wires in the back.

I have checked both door switches, they both turn on and off the dome light, I have checked the trunk lid switch, and the hood switch, am I missing something?

Thanks
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
If you have a stock alarm, then the alarm will give three chirps when you push the fob button to arm the alarm, not when the key is turned to shut off the engine. You may be looking in the wrong place. The chirps I get are very loud, but, from your descriptions, your chirps are not. I would try tracking down the source of the chirps to see if that gives you a clue as to what your car is trying to say.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, this is the thread I was referring to: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../433539?page=1

It seams to indicate that you get three chirps when you turn the key off if the alarm won't arm, what am I missing?

Thanks
Terry

Last edited by TMair; 06-05-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Unless something has changed with the alarms since 1996, the alarm is only set using the fob. Your link just brings me back to this thread.

My stock alarm, when it chirps, uses the alarm horn. Is your chirping coming from under the hood, or under the dash?

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 3.0i
I have an aftermarket alarm in my 3.0L Z3 that arms and disarms with the key. The normal Z3 alarms only arm and disarm when using the key FOB. May be you have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies

Actually I have a new radio that needs to beep three times when you shut the key off, why in the world would a cheep radio need to beep when you turn the key off and why would it be three times?!!

Ok so I do not have the fob for the keyless entry where how would I get one? I am hoping it is not part of the key considering I paid BMW their crazy price for two keys with the little lights, (I didn't really want the light but it's part of the key) so I would have a spare, the key that came with it was worn so bad it would hardly turn the ignition, and I think it was a valet key.

Thanks for the help
Terry
Old 06-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Warning - Thin Air

The fob is not part of the key, so you are good there. I have seen threads where people have been able to get the fob through ebay, but I think that would be a process to try and get it to be recognized by your alarm. I don't know if the dealers can still get them or not. The other question is do you actually have an alarm installed in your car?

Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
The fob is not part of the key, so you are good there. I have seen threads where people have been able to get the fob through ebay, but I think that would be a process to try and get it to be recognized by your alarm. I don't know if the dealers can still get them or not. The other question is do you actually have an alarm installed in your car?

When I look under the hood it has the factory siren thing mounted to the shock tower so I am thinking it does have the alarm.

Thanks
Terry
Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 AM
Warning - Thin Air

This is a link to A W's alarm install on his M Coupe with lots of photos. It may help you verify you have an alarm installed. It is possible someone pulled the alarm but didn't take out the siren. If it is still installed, then it sounds like all you need is the fob.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...in-BMW-M-Coupe

Old 06-14-2019, 03:22 PM

So just been waiting for a key fob, got it today, didn't work, called them on the phone "keyless entry remote inc." they told me that the remote has been wiped clear and I need to take it to a BMW locksmith to get it programmed, can someone verify that this could possibly be the case?
I had ordered one from Amazon, it said it would work, it was a Subaru but was supposed to work with BMW as well, it did not returned it and ordered the one above.

Just to verify I did the routine listed in another thread "open everything close everything, open trunk lid get in car close drivers door, put key in ignition turn on off 5 times" light for alarm system came on, chirped siren I pushed the buttons as described got out of car closed trunk, closed drivers door, tried remote nothing so can someone tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree by trying to find the correct locksmith in my area, "Midway, Utah"?

Thanks for any help!!
Terry
Old 06-15-2019, 10:45 AM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
TMair..not sure this is relevant, but I will share it with you. When I installed an aftermarket radio into my 1997 Z3 last year to replace the original factory radio, I lost my factory alarm system. I talked with the Crutchfield rep and he told me to connect a wire (which I had not connected because I did not think it was necessary) from my new radio to the transition harness. I connected that wire and every thing worked properly again.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post
TMair..not sure this is relevant, but I will share it with you. When I installed an aftermarket radio into my 1997 Z3 last year to replace the original factory radio, I lost my factory alarm system. I talked with the Crutchfield rep and he told me to connect a wire (which I had not connected because I did not think it was necessary) from my new radio to the transition harness. I connected that wire and every thing worked properly again.
Thanks for the reply, I have never had the alarm system because when I got the car it did not come with a fob, the problem Iím having is getting the alarm/keyless entry to recognize my fob, or vice versa, but it might be worth a try, which wire was it?

Thanks again
Terry
Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM
The Arkleyologist

I am pretty sure I documented what I did..I will look for it. Basically, when you hook up an after market radio you have the eight speaker wires, always hot and ignition hot wires (yellow and red wires)...and a white/blue power antena wire, and an orange illumination wire. It was either the orange or blue/white wire that I did not initially hook up.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Warning - Thin Air

The power antenna wire not being connected is the usual cause for an after market radio not working. Most people say, "I don't have a power antenna, so I don't need the wire.", but if you don't connect it, the radio, most likely, won't work. However I have never heard that it had anything to do with the alarm not working. The stock radio has an external switch to set off the alarm if the radio is removed. I'm not sure how the radio being wired wrong would keep the alarm from working.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM
The Arkleyologist

Khammack..baffling for sure..when I initially hooked up the radio with the traditional eleven wire hookup, the car door would only open with the key..remote was non functional. Now for the caveat....after I pulled the radio and implemented the additional wire hookup suggested by the Crutchfield rep (by the way, the Crutchfield rep knew immediately what to suggest..that indicated to me it must be a common problem). After connecting the suggested wire, the remote opener worked flawlessly...what is the caveat? When I now attempt to unlock the car with the key the door will open but the alarm siren goes off! The fix is is to put the key into the ignition and start the car..the alarm goes off...since I always use the remote, not a particular problem..but still baffling..I think the problem relates to me removing "location" switch directly behind the radio that is attached to the firewall. This switch allows the black post on the radio to open/close as it senses the presense of the locater post...I have installed five after market radios into various Z3s and never had to be concerned with this switch..having said that..this current Z3 is the only Z3 I have owned that has the alarm system...must be a correlation there someplace.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 06-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Warning - Thin Air

I agree, it is baffling. The switch behind the radio allows the post to hold the circuit open while it is in place. That is why you can simply unplug the switch to remove it from the system. I guess the brand of radio you have may have implemented a different system to set off the alarm if the radio is removed. Have you verified that your alarm is an OEM alarm? It is also possible it is a plug and play after market alarm which does things differently than the OEM.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM

When I replaced the radio in my z3 the first time I did the no power antenna and did not hook up the wire come to find out that wire also powers the amp, once I hooked it up everything worked just fine, water damage ruined that radio so when I replaced it I did remember to hook up the power antenna wire.

So I haven't officially taken out the glove box, looks like a pita "but" I have the red light on my console panel right between the heat warmer switches, and the BMW siren in the engine bay, when I go through the procedure to enable the fob the alarm system works just as described so I am guessing it is the fob, so wondering has anyone ever had to take the fob to a dealer or Indy locksmith to have it programmed? If so about what was the cost, or did it even work?

I live in a part of the country where nothing is convenient so would like to just do a one and done because of travel.

Thanks
Terry

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search