My new 2014 535d xdrive - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
My new 2014 535d xdrive

I have this car almost a few weeks now and it's truly a pleasure to drive, i don't think you can go back to gas engine after this!!
Car is not a CPO and i bought it from reputable BMW dealer with 41k miles on it. I have all the carfax and more importantly all the service records, since day one this 1 owner vehicle has been serviced and maintained up to date.
Before it's been sold i see EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) has been replaced due to recall and they did everything well up until this point (seems like).
Also service records they gave me, states;

1- High pressure fuel pump limited warranty extended to 10 year / 120.000 miles
2- Diesel Particulate Sensor limited warranty extended to 10 Y / 120.000 miles
3- Auxilary Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler limited warr. 10 Y / 120.000 miles (this one seems like just replaced).
4- Oxygen Sensors same 10Y / 120.000 miles
5- Nitrogen Oxide Sensor also same 10Y / 120k but i'm not sure this relates to this engine.

So all of these if i will have any issues with, BMW will fix them?
Also at this point with the mileage i have what should i check and look out for? Any major or even minor things that i should do or worry?
Thank you very much.

Last edited by Salacak; 05-06-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 535i x drive
Nice find
Old 05-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
Sweet!

Suggest at every inspection a really good look at the front Axle Boots. If any sign of grease or cracks replace /regrease right away.

Only use known fresh Ad Blu / DEF, it has a shelf life and does not like heat / sunshine where stored.

City driving will cause carbon buildup, these Cars like the open road and occasional spirited stints. When you have > 60,000 miles take a look with a borescope at he Carbon situation from the EGR Valve up to the Intake Valve's, takes just 10 mins.

Change the Transmission Fluid with integrated Filter Pan at > 60,000 as well... Best not at a BMW Dealer but at an authorized ZF Station.

Run Flat vs non Run Flat a personal compromise... see comments from others, some like some don't.
Euro 313HP
465 TQ @1500 RPM
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersport / PA4 Winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 AM

Thank you very much for this detailed and very helpful reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Nice find!

Drive it spiritedly and like you stole it. Regularly put your foot into it and get on the power and use it. DO NOT baby it by driving "gently" all the time. Avoid using the car exclusively for short trips. I don't worry about occasional short trips in my 2014 535dx because it sees so much spirited highway use on a regular basis. You won't need to worry about CBU by following the guidelines above. Get out there and drive it like it's the Autobahn burner that it is.

I drive my cars exclusively in Sport mode all the time. I wish I could make Sport mode the startup default.

1. Put only the best diesel fuel you can get from high diesel turnover stations in your area. Get fuel ONLY from stations that sell a LOT of it and get a lot of heavy truck traffic.

2. Drive the P!$$ out of it in Sport mode.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above.

Do: Drive.
Don't: Worry.

Nice find and congrats!

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 05-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanks

I was checking diesel quality options from stations to stations and seems like i will use exxon/mobil synergy diesel they named i think.
Trust me, way this engine power feels it makes you drive like you just stole the car.
On the diesel to use, seems like you never know, you can end up with bad fuel anywhere, should i use any additives to get tank or fuel inj. cleaning.

Last edited by Salacak; 05-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Thanks

I was checking diesel quality options from stations to stations and seems like i will use exxon/mobil synergy diesel they named i think.
Trust me, way this engine power feels it makes you drive like you just stole the car.
On the diesel to use, seems like you never know, you can end up with bad fuel anywhere, should i use any additives to get tank or fuel inj. cleaning.
BMW says no additives as CYA because they can't be in the business of endorsing one additive over another in case a particular additive causes a problem. If you choose to use an additive, use only a ULSD- compliant additive that is on the EPA's list of approved additives. My two favorites are Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle).

My concerns for using an additive are to increase lubricity and take care of any water I can't avoid getting. Diesel fuel in the USA barely meets a lubricity standard that is less stringent than what manufacturers want in order to prevent premature pump wear. Diesel fuel also soaks up water over time from condensation and will destroy the HPFP in common rail diesels in no time at all. Water in diesel fuel from condensation absolutely must be avoided at ALL costs.

A single tank of water contaminated fuel from a station that rarely gets any truck traffic is all it takes to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. Avoid low turnover stations. The fuel at a low turnover station can be months old. This is why I say to fuel up ONLY at high diesel turnover stations along major routes. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up. The fuel at these stations is never more than a couple of days old. My favorite truck stop in NH where I fuel up gets an entire tanker of diesel emptied there every day to keep up with diesel demand from the heavy truck traffic. I have no worries about water at this station.

Don't worry about the brand of diesel. Pay attention to the turnover and look for high turnover stations along major routes that get a lot of heavy truck traffic. Then regularly use additive to increase lubricity and take care of any water you can't avoid getting.

The bottom line is fuel quality is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING when it comes to ensuring long life and reliable service from the HPFP and the rest of the fuel system. HPFP failures are preventable.

You definitely have a NICE find of a car and congrats on your purchase.

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 05-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 PM

My new 2014 535d xdrive

Thanks again for a great reply.
I was looking for diesel qualities versus who might have water in it. Shell, exxon and few others they claiming their diesel is the best, some claims has more cetane than others and cetane burns better or helps your diesel to burn more efficiently.
More you read and more confusing it gets.
I agree that diesel quality wayyy behind Europe and hopefully things will change for a better near future.
And yes car is a blast to drive so far and I enjoy every minutes of it
Here are few more shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Salacak; 05-06-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
I was looking for diesel qualities versus who might have water in it. Shell, exxon and few others they claiming their diesel is the best, some claims has more cetane than others and cetane burns better or helps your diesel to burn more efficiently.
This is mostly marketing hogwash. Technically, yes, higher cetane is better but (at least where I live) you won't find a pump that doesn't say "40 min".

In my nearly 30 years of diesel car ownership (obviously not all in BMW's) I have usually filled up at the cheapest brand-name station, which is often also the busiest. With the exception of one gelling incident, it's been all good.

Best of luck with your car - it's a beauty.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
This is mostly marketing hogwash. Technically, yes, higher cetane is better but (at least where I live) you won't find a pump that doesn't say "40 min".

In my nearly 30 years of diesel car ownership (obviously not all in BMW's) I have usually filled up at the cheapest brand-name station, which is often also the busiest. With the exception of one gelling incident, it's been all good.

Best of luck with your car - it's a beauty.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
I have the same model. The condenser for air conditioner crapped out on mine with roughly the same amount of miles as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear that, what would be the cost you think to fix it.
Knock on wood mine is perfect so far, we had a joy ride last Sunday and it was a pretty hot day and we both mentioned in the car that this was one of the best A/C unit we ever had in any previous cars we had.
Let us know what they say and if you can find, is there anyway we can avoid what just happened to your car?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

AC Condenser is a known problem. In Europe they replaced many as part of a recall action. Mine was changed during regular service and a loaner Car was provided due longer then planned (overnight).

There are several posts on this, BMW US will try and charge you claiming Stone impact damage (which can happen) but real reason is corrosion around the outside corners based on a bad Vendor using wrong Solder causing dissimilar metal corrosion and resulting mini cracks in the weld joint.

So... if your Stealer tells you impact damage stand your ground and have them show you the “damage” pointing to the huge recall on 2013-2015 Cars.
Euro 313HP
465 TQ @1500 RPM
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
Old 06-02-2019, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xd
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, what would be the cost you think to fix it.

Knock on wood mine is perfect so far, we had a joy ride last Sunday and it was a pretty hot day and we both mentioned in the car that this was one of the best A/C unit we ever had in any previous cars we had.

Let us know what they say and if you can find, is there anyway we can avoid what just happened to your car?

Mine is CPO and was replaced with extended warranty at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusmax View Post
Mine is CPO and was replaced with extended warranty at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
That's a great news
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Nice find!

Drive it spiritedly and like you stole it. Regularly put your foot into it and get on the power and use it. DO NOT baby it by driving "gently" all the time. Avoid using the car exclusively for short trips. I don't worry about occasional short trips in my 2014 535dx because it sees so much spirited highway use on a regular basis. You won't need to worry about CBU by following the guidelines above. Get out there and drive it like it's the Autobahn burner that it is.

I drive my cars exclusively in Sport mode all the time. I wish I could make Sport mode the startup default.

1. Put only the best diesel fuel you can get from high diesel turnover stations in your area. Get fuel ONLY from stations that sell a LOT of it and get a lot of heavy truck traffic.

2. Drive the P!$$ out of it in Sport mode.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above.

Do: Drive.
Don't: Worry.

Nice find and congrats!

I have a clicking sound (someone described that sound somewhere sounds like shaking paint spray can sound) this only happens when i put rpm around 1000-1500 after that sound goes off completely like never been there. I asked my local mechanic he said those are from turbo sound and nothing to worry about.
Just wondering anyone had similar experiences like i do with their engines.

Last edited by Salacak; 06-10-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: fun cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunichMark View Post
Sweet!
Change the Transmission Fluid with integrated Filter Pan at > 60,000 as well... Best not at a BMW Dealer but at an authorized ZF Station.
Sadly, These do not exist in the US.

Drive fast, take chances.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds View Post
Sadly, These do not exist in the US.
Depends on your location. There's one relatively close to me.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Try the ZF Authorized Dealer Locator using Zip Code...
Euro 313HP
465 TQ @1500 RPM
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search