Origami Problems: Keeping the E36 Cabrio top working - Page 11 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW e36 2.0
e36

Hi guys I have e36 vert 99" and i was wondering what kind of texture is the soft top.Is it canvas, fabric or anything else. I`m confused what product for cleaning and repainting to buy. Im looking for "Protex" Cavas restore and Renovo. Can u tell me which one is for my type of car.Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to severecaraddict
Mein Auto: 2004 530i SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragomirD View Post
Hi guys I have e36 vert 99" and i was wondering what kind of texture is the soft top.Is it canvas, fabric or anything else. I`m confused what product for cleaning and repainting to buy. Im looking for "Protex" Cavas restore and Renovo. Can u tell me which one is for my type of car.Thanks all.
I've used Renovo on 2 of my E36 convertibles as well as both of my Z4s and would HIGHLY recommend it. As for the exact type of material...I'll let someone more versed in fabric address that.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW e36 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by severecaraddict View Post
I've used Renovo on 2 of my E36 convertibles as well as both of my Z4s and would HIGHLY recommend it. As for the exact type of material...I'll let someone more versed in fabric address that.
Thanks for the reply. One more thing. Im about to order the full kit 3 of the products-for cleaning, repainting and the anti-water thing ,does the 500ml will be enough for e36 soft top ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325 e36 convertible
Hi guys, really need your advice! I have been driving my convert e36 for a few months without problems, but recently they occurred. The drive of the lid motor disengaged, and after I had put it back the lid can't open high enough and stops the hood when I'm trying to open it. I've reseted it few times by the instructions, but it works in the same way. As I think the lid motor needs a tune, coz it closes the lid too strongly, but can't open it high. Can you please advise me how can I do it? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	550178  
Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: E36 Convertible '94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsekh View Post
Hi guys, really need your advice! I have been driving my convert e36 for a few months without problems, but recently they occurred. The drive of the lid motor disengaged, and after I had put it back the lid can't open high enough and stops the hood when I'm trying to open it. I've reseted it few times by the instructions, but it works in the same way. As I think the lid motor needs a tune, coz it closes the lid too strongly, but can't open it high. Can you please advise me how can I do it? Thank you
https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&sourc...d62o4IGLXU9acw

Or

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&sourc...Fb-IZu5uWCtPjw

These links lead to a pdf file where every part of the semi and full auto top are discussed. Including all the microswitch locations and fusez

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
There are two gas struts that help the motor raise the storage compartment lid. When one or both of them wear out the lid doesn't lift all the way and it interferes with the top like your photo shows. You need to replace the lift struts.

You need to go to realoem.com or bmwfans.info and look up the part for your car but as an example they are item 5 in this diagram.

Last edited by dc_wright; 02-19-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:10 PM

Thank you for your reply DC!
I thought the same, but it looks like the lid can't go higher because of the lid motor: after the resetting it presses it down too strongly, but not high enough. But I disengaged it in the lowest position and then engaged the driver back after turning the shaft towards opening. It shifts the angle of its movement, and after that it reaches the normal height, enough for the hood go through. (hope I explained it clearly)
I've experimented with it a little bit more, and I think the problem is a bit more complicated. After the initializing (resetting) the back of the roof hit the lid and after I help it the back bow of the roof stops in vertical position and is not going anywhere. The lid doesn't go down too. So for me it looks like the lid and roof are uncoordinated. What is responsible for it? Is it Hall sensor? May the problem be in the sensors on the hood motor? Thank you very much!
Old 02-20-2016, 03:21 PM

When you do the resync the top needs to be in the fully folded down position to properly resync. Pull the release lever to release the top and storage compartment lid motors, then manually put the top in the fully opened position. Re-engage both motors then run the resync procedure by holding to top control button in the TOP DOWN position while you turn the ignition on. Keep holding the button down for at least 10 seconds. Then turn the ignition off, then on again and try putting the top up and see if it's working correctly.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:15 AM

Thank you, just tried it: pushed the lid down as far as possible and did resync as described, but it still the same: lid is too low and doesn't go down after the top is up.(((
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you, just tried it: pushed the lid down as far as possible and did resync as described, but it still the same: lid is too low and doesn't go down after the top is up.(((
When you did the resync did the storage compartment lid pull down and lock in place? Did it move at all?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
When you did the resync did the storage compartment lid pull down and lock in place? Did it move at all?
Yes mate, it moves and locks the lid in the right place.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 PM

For both the lid and the top the position sensing is built into the motors. It measures how many revolutions the motor turns and the position of the motors when the re-sync is complete. There are micro switches that serve as secondary sensors. If you've downloaded the trouble shooting guide there's a description of what each micro switch does. If any one of the micro switches changes state when it's not expected to, the movement of the top is immediately stopped to prevent any damage. Might be a micro switch issue that's causing the top to stop prematurely. At this point you'll just have to start working methodically through the possibilities.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your help! Do you know are those two sensors in the top motor visible if the motor is taken out? I've read somewhere, that they can be tuned manually. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto:
I I'm new to this I have a E 36 fully auto roof
When I resync motors all goes fine as the
Windscreen motor kicks in to shut the roof
Down to the windscreen it's starts then stops
Then I have to wind the roof to its closed position
Any help please had a look for broken wires today
All seem to be OK swapped the closing bracket on
The roof to rule out micro switches ?
Old 11-19-2016, 12:24 PM

Download the trouble shooting guides at the first post in this thread and they will walk you through trouble shooting this issue.
It sounds like a micro switch issue, but you need to go through some diagnostics first to confirm.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Download the trouble shooting guides at the first post in this thread and they will walk you through trouble shooting this issue.
It sounds like a micro switch issue, but you need to go through some diagnostics first to confirm.
Ok thanks will check it out
Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E36 Convertible
Wow, great thread for a new guy. Mine has the grinding sound and will not open. Going to start trying to use this thread to get 'er moving! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
BMW E36 convertible problems

Hi, I,ve been searching all the relevant forums, have invested in manuals etc but I still am unable to fix the fully automatic roof on my E36 M3. I only bought the car last year and put it away for the winter almost immediately.
The roof did work, but when I brought the car out for the spring and tried operating the roof it stuck half open. I tried to see if it was jammed and eventually pulled the emergency release. Now I can't get it to work. I have tried resynching the motors,
I can get the roof lowered,the moters rengaged, I start the process as in the instructions, the toneau cover closes tightly properly, I think all is going to work and then... Nothing. I can hear a motor working but nothing happens until the the windows go up.
Sorry for the long post but I'm at my wits end.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 318i Cabrio
Hello, I just got a 1994 BMW 318i cabrio, But I cant open the roof, I press the button to pull down all the windows but there are no other button to open the roof top. there is no lever under the back seat to manually open the top. can anyone please help?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E36 cabrio
Hello vert owners. I have a big problem, soo if anyone know how to help me, please write.
Untill one month ago, my roof works OK.
Now, my top cover is not coming down anymore.

Soo, i hope i will explane you very well so you can understand my problem.
I have a E36, 2.8 from '99, with full auto softop.
My motors are disengage, so the softop is NOT in the compartiment storage, is UP, so will not rain in the car.
I re-engage the motors, and i reinitialize the motors like everyone know.

Then, i press the button, to start the procedure to get out the softop from storage compartiment.
-windows coming down
-top cover is rising
-softop is coming out from storage compartiment
-rear window is starting to rise vertical
-TOP COVER IS NOT COMING DOWN

This is my problem !!!!!!!!!

Then i have to press the button back, to put the softop back in storage compartiment and disengage the motors to put my softop manually up.

Anyone know where i have to look for microswitches or what i have to do ??

Help me please. Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

You've found the right thread for convertible top problems. Now go back to page one, posting one of this thread and download the .PDFs that were posted and study them. They have the information on where the microswitches are and what they do, how to adjust them, what to do if they aren't working.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E36 cabrio
In that pdf document, is write only how to reset the roof....i didnt find an answer to my problem....thats why i write here, maybe someone have in the past the same problem like mine....
Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogubjp View Post
In that pdf document, is write only how to reset the roof....i didnt find an answer to my problem....thats why i write here, maybe someone have in the past the same problem like mine....
You only downloaded the first document. You'll find what you're looking for in the 3rd and 4th documents.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 m3
Does anyone know where this red & green cables connect on a 1999 BMW e36 top motor

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
That's darn good question, because I can't find a plain red or plain green wire anywhere in the 1999 ETM for the cabriolet operating system.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
automatic top, knucklehead, stuck closed

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search