The "Official" E36 AutoX & Track Day Thread - Page 93 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 PM
#butstuff2k16

Mein Auto: bro truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Pro-Solo is an absolute blast! I was super disappointed when they canceled the event here back in March. Your reaction times were pretty good and the last run on the left looked like it was most controlled of the 4. At least you were on the cones best on that run from the video. Hopefully that paid off!

That looked like an interesting site for the champ tour. The nat tour courses are definitely set up for higher speeds than most of the local events.

How'd you finish in the two events?
Placed 8th in Pro sitting on a cone. Coned away 5th/12 at the Pro, but that was still out of trophies. The tour had some protest issues so officially 7th, but really my pace was 8th/16.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
Placed 8th in Pro sitting on a cone. Coned away 5th/12 at the Pro, but that was still out of trophies. The tour had some protest issues so officially 7th, but really my pace was 8th/16.
Those are really good finishes running the E36! Nice going!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 AM
#butstuff2k16

Quote:
Those are really good finishes running the E36! Nice going!
Thanks! Part of me wants to find a co-drive with a real STX car to see how much easier it is driving one of those. Maybe I would consistently be a bottom trophy winner in one

Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Part of me wants to find a co-drive with a real STX car to see how much easier it is driving one of those. Maybe I would consistently be a bottom trophy winner in one

I’ve thought about doing the same, but then all my excuses would be gone....... :-)

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I’ve thought about doing the same, but then all my excuses would be gone....... :-)

Seriously though, I believe I could move up a few places in “the car” for the class. Not going to challenge for a top spot because there’s definitely a talent gap on my part.
We’ve got about 8-10 people that I run with locally that have multiple national championships in different classes, and about a dozen more that have trophied consistently at national events. I know for a fact that they’re faster then me in about any car they get into. I’ve closed the gap in the last 2 years with the EVO schools help, but there’s still a gap.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM
#butstuff2k16

Quote:
Seriously though, I believe I could move up a few places in “the car” for the class. Not going to challenge for a top spot because there’s definitely a talent gap on my part.
We’ve got about 8-10 people that I run with locally that have multiple national championships in different classes, and about a dozen more that have trophied consistently at national events. I know for a fact that they’re faster then me in about any car they get into. I’ve closed the gap in the last 2 years with the EVO schools help, but there’s still a gap.

Yup I think car choice does play a factor. I think it's 80% driver and 20% car choice/setup in autox.

Put an alien in my car, and they'll be fighting for one of the top trophy spots while I'm just mid-pack/bottom trophy padding. Put me in a "right" car and I may be into the trophies, but still won't catch the alien that is also in the "right" car.

I love the idea of SSC, but I would rather drive something faster. Maybe if it was spec C5 it would be more fun. I've never autox'd either though.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yup I think car choice does play a factor. I think it's 80% driver and 20% car choice/setup in autox.

Put an alien in my car, and they'll be fighting for one of the top trophy spots while I'm just mid-pack/bottom trophy padding. Put me in a "right" car and I may be into the trophies, but still won't catch the alien that is also in the "right" car.

I love the idea of SSC, but I would rather drive something faster. Maybe if it was spec C5 it would be more fun. I've never autox'd either though.
Even as invested in BMW as I am, SSC is really attractive. It's a driver's class, the entry cost is relatively cheap, and hopefully you wouldn't get totally screwed by a new model release as happened to all the owners of ND1 Miatas when Mazda released the ND2. I have a couple acquaintances that have SSC cars, and I'm going to try to finagle a co-drive or two to try it out.

I was looking at Mini's as you can pick them up pretty cheap now, but the Fiesta ST is the CTH in HS so I'd be in the same boat as now in CS. Just with a lighter wallet after getting another car set up for street class.

I'd like to go to Lincoln, but really don't want to go run without having some chance to trophy at least, so I'd need to wangle a co-drive there.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm trying to buy a 1998 bmw 323is in Orlando with 170k miles and the guy was selling for 3500 and I talked him down to 2700. But I want to only pay 2200. Is 2700 a fair price
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
See my reply to your identical thread in the forum, here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1331365
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe"

Last edited by hornhospital; 05-21-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 PM
#butstuff2k16

Quote:
Even as invested in BMW as I am, SSC is really attractive. It's a driver's class, the entry cost is relatively cheap, and hopefully you wouldn't get totally screwed by a new model release as happened to all the owners of ND1 Miatas when Mazda released the ND2. I have a couple acquaintances that have SSC cars, and I'm going to try to finagle a co-drive or two to try it out.

I was looking at Mini's as you can pick them up pretty cheap now, but the Fiesta ST is the CTH in HS so I'd be in the same boat as now in CS. Just with a lighter wallet after getting another car set up for street class.

I'd like to go to Lincoln, but really don't want to go run without having some chance to trophy at least, so I'd need to wangle a co-drive there.
I don't go into these nats events thinking I'm going to trophy. I'm just there to hang out with some of the fastest guys in the sport. It's just a fun weekend driving cars, and the additional stress of "I gotta get a trophy" makes it less fun. I think my time will come and I'll stumble on a co-drive or a good car. For now, I'll happily take compliments as the best sounding STX car on course.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
:3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search