What did you do to the 5er today? - Page 69 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 F90 M5|2006 E60 550i
Hmmm, where do I start. Over the last few months I've been reviving my 2006 E60 500i M-Sport. I have been physically unable to drive over the last two year due to some medical issues.

- Battery Replacement
- Oil and all filter changes
- Radiator Coolant
- Replaced front/rear wind trim moulding (the FL sun just melts them - i go through them @every 5 years)
- Removed both headlamps to replace the rubber/plastic gaskets, polish the lenses, repaired some insulation wiring due to sun damage, bought and replaced "possible" effective SMC modules to fix an adaptive headlamp error (turned-out that ddnt fix the problem). After troubleshooting for week or so, just put the original modules back in and no more error and its working as designed (go figure)
- Purchased another car cover (this is #3) - typically the outdoor, heavy duty BMW car cover just tends to disintegrate from the sun - so i stopped using them for some tome. Note: With my previous car, a 1999 E39 540i/6, i went through four car covers.
- Completely detailed the car's interior, engine bay and trunk
- The paint's clear coat (a significant amount of it is ruined from the sun) but the majority is now highly polished and I perform daily upkeep to keep it in that state
- Replaced the window tint (it got ruined by the sun too!) with a slightly darker tint to hopefully hold back some of those damaging UV rays
- Took apart te third brake light assembly to clean it out from some white looking debris. How it ever got in there is your guess. After having the new darker tint it debris stood out like a sore thumb. I had to order, today in fact, a new third brake panel cover as the original shattered (from the sun, of course) and it broke two of the four clips and it's just hang'n In there now.
- There are more details of things I've done over the last few months - but I don't want to bore you (I do keep a daily log of all changes/additions just so that I can't remember what I did and when)

At this point, and @$2400.00 later, the car looks and rides like new. I've been the only owner and having for so many years yes mileage is only 90,550 as of today. Additionally, the engine is younger than the car body at around $65K miles it blew either the water pump or oil pump (many, many years ago I don't remember - wasn't logging back then) they had to tear into the engine to repair it and my SA told me that while te engine is being rebuilt that I should consider changing out the typical wear-n-tear items during the rebuild. I chose to do so and I immediately notice a significant improvement in the engine dynamics.

Last edited by Bradleyjs; 06-10-2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added more info/typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Hmmm, where do I start. Over the last few months I've been reviving my 2006 E60 500i M-Sport. I have been physically unable to drive over the last two year due to some medical issues.

- Battery Replacement
- Oil and all filter changes
- Radiator Coolant
- Replaced front/rear window trim moulding (the FL sun just melts them - i go through them @every 5 years)
- Removed both headlamps to replace the rubber/plastic gaskets, polish the lenses, repaired some insulation wiring due to sun damage, bought and replaced "possible" effective SMC modules to fix an Adaptive Headlamp error (turned-out that ddnt fix the problem). After troubleshooting for week or so, just put the original modules back in and no more error and its working as designed (go figure)
- Purchased another car cover (this is #3) - typically the outdoor, heavy duty BMW car cover just tends to disintegrate from the sun - so i stopped using them Note: my previous car 1999 E39 540i/6 i went through four car covers.
- Completely detailed the car's interior, engine bay and trunk
the paint (a significant amount of it is ruined from the sun but the majority is now highly polished and I perform daily upkeep to ensure that it stays in that state
- Replaced the window tint (it got ruined by the sun too!) with a slightly darker tint to hopefully hold back some of those damaging UV rays
- Took apart te third brake light assembly to clean it out from some white looking debris. How it ever got in there is your guess. After having the new darker tint it debris stood out like a sore thumb
- There are more details of things I've - don't want to bore you (I do keep a daily log of all changes/additions just so that I can remember what I did when

At this point, and @$2400.00 later, the car looks and rides like new. I've been the only owner and having for so many years yes mileage is only 90,550 as of today. Additionally, the engine is younger than the car body at around $65K miles it blew either the water pump or oil pump (many, many years ago I don't remember - wasn't logging back then) they had to tear into the engine to repair it and my SA told me that while te engine is being rebuilt that I should consider changing out the typical wear-n-tear items during the rebuild. I chose to do so and I immediately notice a significant improvement in the engine dynamics.

Last edited by Bradleyjs; 06-10-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 PM
BMWCCA 12660

Mein Auto: 07 530xiT 18 C300 Cab
Back on the road,,,good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daka View Post
Back on the road,,,good...
Thanks

Ps. I wonder why it posted twice...?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Decided to check in on the thread I started 4 years ago...going strong!

Didn't do this today, but had to change the oil pressure switch recently because in the middle of a 4 drive, I started getting a low oil pressure warning. Immediately pulled over to check for oil level and any weird noises. Oil pumps on N62 engines don't seem to be a problem and the check valves on the head were unlikely to be gummed up because the inside of my engine is really clean so I figured it had to be the pressure switch that I replaced 5 years ago. Bought a new switch at Autozone, which surprisingly had one for $15, when I reached my destination and installed it in 30 minutes. No more warning so far!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Decided to check in on the thread I started 4 years ago...going strong!

Didn't do this today, but had to change the oil pressure switch recently because in the middle of a 4 drive, I started getting a low oil pressure warning. Immediately pulled over to check for oil level and any weird noises. Oil pumps on N62 engines don't seem to be a problem and the check valves on the head were unlikely to be gummed up because the inside of my engine is really clean so I figured it had to be the pressure switch that I replaced 5 years ago. Bought a new switch at Autozone, which surprisingly had one for $15, when I reached my destination and installed it in 30 minutes. No more warning so far!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Sounds about right.....I recently replaced mine (second one in 4 years).
Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCarr View Post
Sounds about right.....I recently replaced mine (second one in 4 years).
The autozone duracrap sensor has a lifetime warranty, so won't have to pay for them anymore at least.

I was planning to inspect and potentially replace it soon since the vacuum pump was going to come out because of a leaky front seal. Guess it beat me to failing before I could replace it. Still need to do the vacuum pump though.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 85 735i Euro, 08 550i/6
Been working on the 7er lately. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-adding-parts&

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohunter4 View Post
Been working on the 7er lately. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-adding-parts&

Thatís an awesome car, I love the look of the older models.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Oh, damn, didn't realize you are here on this forum too! I was reading your thread over on bimmerforums earlier today.

Guess we're E23/E60 twins

Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 85 735i Euro, 08 550i/6
Thanks. Yeah talk about two opposite ends of the BMW sedan spectrum.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah talk about two opposite ends of the BMW sedan spectrum.

Defintely. Interesting to see the differences between a design from the mid-late 70s and the early-mid 2000s.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search