BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

High Emissions and Engine Malfunction Reduced power

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  NateShore 
#1 ·
Last Sunday, April 14th, I filled up on 93 from a Shell station and went out with some buddies to do some rolls. Everything was fine and the car was pulling ALOT harder than usually. I only have Eventuri intakes and I was keeping up with my friends 2018 GT350 ( who usually gaps me). After the rolls we went and parked at a gas station to hang out and let our engines cool down. We***8217;re getting ready to head back home, I get in my car, start it and see a yellow engine light with a message saying ***8220;INCREASED EMISSIONS***8221;. I drove it home everything was fine just had that error code. I drove it the next day to work, called my tech and he said I could bring it in Tuesday. Tuesday morning as I'm getting in my car to take it to my tech, my engine wouldn't turn over due to my battery. (Note that i***8217;ve had an on and off ***8220;HIGH BATTERY DRAIN***8221; problem sometimes when I turn my car off. I***8217;ve taken it to multiple dealerships and shops no one can replicate or find a spike in amps). So naturally, I jump my car and take it to my tech. He calls me a few days later saying all 6 O2 sensors were faulty/blown and he doesn't understand how all 6 went bad at the same time. He tells me it is $800 a sensor plus install. I told him theres no point in replacing them because I planned on going cat-less and getting the Evolve Alpha N tune which would block the O2 sensors and delete the ***8220;INCREASED EMISSIONS***8221; code. So I picked my car up on Thursday, April 25th. Everything drove and felt fine as it did before with the ***8220;INCREASED EMISSIONS***8221; code active. Today, Friday, April 26th on the way home from work I dropped it down from 7th to 5th gear, pedal to the floor, I was at about 7800-8000 RPM right as I was about to shift to 6th gear I got a new CEL saying ***8220;ENGINE MALFUNCTION REDUCED POWER***8221; with a yellow 1/2 engine light (I was also in ***8220;M Mode,***8221; DSC turned off shift speed turned all the way up to 6). My RPM gauge went from redlining at 8250 RPM to 7000RPM flat. My steering wheel and front end of the car was shaking harder than it ever has before. I put it in 7th and went 80 the rest of the way home. Besides lowering my redline to 7000 and the shaking when the code first popped up it drove fine the whole way home. I didn't hear any horrifying sounds and my oil temp stayed at around 210 like it usually does. I***8217;m assuming the ***8220;ENGINE MALFUNCTION REDUCED POWER***8221; code was feeding off of the ***8220;INCREASED EMISSIONS***8221; code? I***8217;ve never had any engine problems with the car, supposedly the engine was replaced at around 72k miles. I read that it could be carbon build up in my cats or the faulty sensors told my engine to reduce power. Either way would deleting the cats and getting that Evolve Alpha N tune clear/block the codes and keep my car from occasionally going into limp mode?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.