45e electric mode stopped working - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 (F15)
45e electric mode stopped working

Hi there. I have a 6 weeks old 45e. For some reason, the past 2 days, it's reverted to only using the petrol engine. The electric battery is fully charged, but it's opting not to use it. I tried switching it into fully electric mode, but it refuses, and displays a message saying 'electric mode not available for system reasons'. I'm wondering what the system reasons are ?
There is no specific error message shown. The weather isn't particularly cold, it's raining, but it's the UK, so nothing new there. Any ideas as to what would be triggering it to not use the electric ? Some specific condition not being met ? Or just a fault on the system ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 07:24 AM

Update: I've noticed now that the 'hybrid' mode indicator is greyed-out also. The only mode which is working correctly (and wording lighting up in white) is 'sport' mode. Electric Boost seems to be working, and charging, but something is stopping the electric engine working on its own.
No error messages, other than it saying I can't select Electric Mode.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: E61,F10 530xd, E39 525D
Hi . I have 45e just for 5 days. It already hapen for me two times . During driving in full electric mode ( battery more than 50% ), it says cannot operate in electric mode due to system reason. So annoying. No more description . No other fault. I've been driving cca 60km/h. On the straight road. No hills . No acceleration. After few km it has been possible to switch again to electric mode, and I was able to use electric mode until fully depleted. So stupid information. Due to system reason !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisman View Post
Hi there. I have a 6 weeks old 45e. For some reason, the past 2 days, it's reverted to only using the petrol engine. The electric battery is fully charged, but it's opting not to use it. I tried switching it into fully electric mode, but it refuses, and displays a message saying 'electric mode not available for system reasons'. I'm wondering what the system reasons are ?
There is no specific error message shown. The weather isn't particularly cold, it's raining, but it's the UK, so nothing new there. Any ideas as to what would be triggering it to not use the electric ? Some specific condition not being met ? Or just a fault on the system ?
Why are you not taking it to the dealership so that they can PROFESSIONALLY diagnose it for you? Looking for insight for a BRAND NEW system from an online forum is... as Mr. Spock would put it... ILLOGICAL.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
Old 01-03-2020, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 40e
Hi this happens on the X5 40e too. Is this fixed? What is the reason?
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Maybe we should be happy the vehicle isn't being sold in the USA for awhile yet!? That'll give them a chance to work out some more of the kinks.

One rumor was that they were going to go to a 48-v system. ANyone else heard that or have any info? WIll the battery pack be the same, or maybe more energy dense?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: E61,F10 530xd, E39 525D
jadnashuanh> Yo are right . It is stupid idea to buy car , which is in production less than one year . During this first year , they are correcting most of troubles. So I hope , I was not so stupid . I wait for this stupid car like 2 years !! I wanted hybrid somewhere during 2017 . They said - there is new X5 coming. So I wait. BMW produced first 1,5 year only ICE versions. So I wait. Then they introduce hybrid version , so I wait another stupid 7 months for it. :o)) - and now -------. After few days it starts saying - Sorry , sunroof cannot be automatically closed, Please close it manually ( it is closed BTW ) . It is not possible even to operate it manually. !!!!! Then few days ago , it says - There is problem with braking system , please drive carefully and visit nearest service . ****. After 10 days and 700km.Completely new car . Oh no. I got my car last working day here ( On Friday 4:30PM 20th December !!!! ). So I am just waiting for first working day here ( 7th January ) to bring it to service !. BTW, that message never came up again . Just once . And car is braking correctly. I have E39 ( 2000 ) , E61 ( 2007 ) , F10 ( 2011 ) . Without any real problem . Looks like BMW quality is going rapidly down. Or just too much electronics inside :o))
Old 01-17-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Why are you not taking it to the dealership so that they can PROFESSIONALLY diagnose it for you? Looking for insight for a BRAND NEW system from an online forum is... as Mr. Spock would put it... ILLOGICAL.
What an unhelpful useless comment. Iíve obviously taken it to a dealership. The whole point of a discussion forum dedicated to a car model ... is to discuss topics around the car model.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:10 AM

Update on the fault. The car has now been 1 full week with the local dealership. Current feedback is that they have no idea what the fault is, and I shouldn't expect to have my car back anytime soon. They are apparently in discussions with the BMW Technical Team (in Germany ?), but that the process with them is slow.

I choose BMW in no small part because I normally experience great reliability. This is currently a major disappointment, with no end in sight !
Old 01-17-2020, 04:23 AM

I've done some research and studies the electric diagrams with the architecture.

It is quite possible that the EME is faulty. Thats the brain of the electric/ICE system. If the electronics fail inside the EME that will not generate the error codes. Simply the EME will assume that the battery is not charged and work on ICE. Basically I suspect that the communication between EME and the battery module management is faulty. I actually feel this is something that can be fixed by resetting the threshold levels or reprogramming the EME.

I suggest you put this argument to your dealer. They will want to avoid an EME replacement. Its embarrassing too!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Update on the fault. The car has now been 1 full week with the local dealership. Current feedback is that they have no idea what the fault is, and I shouldn't expect to have my car back anytime soon. They are apparently in discussions with the BMW Technical Team (in Germany ?), but that the process with them is slow.

I choose BMW in no small part because I normally experience great reliability. This is currently a major disappointment, with no end in sight !
After diagnostics my dealer asked me to use the vehicle!!! here are some tips that might help you.

1. The system returned to normal occasionally
2. With few engine start stops it cuts off edrive
3. when it works it really works well. No issues
4. Its impossible to figure out what decides the mood, definitely not the weather

My guess:
This is a multiple input threshold issue (there are over 50 pins connecting to the EME for various signals) with a weak EME circuit (Not relays but Eproms, capacitors and diodes)

In this scenarios the system actually thinks it is working fine. More cars on the road will face this in the coming years with AMP fluctuations on circuits.

This is not strange to BMs with e DNA. There are lots of threads on EME recalls and programming issues.

BMW X5 is their best killer product. I was expecting more quality put in the beast. (My opinion)

Last edited by nana0665; 01-21-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:02 AM

Update: its now Wednesday on week 2 of the car being with the local dealership. The car has been with them since the beginning of last week. The feedback is, that they haven't got a clue what's wrong with the car. Zero diagnosis.

Next step for me, is that I'm going to pull the car out of there at the end of this week, as they clearly don't have the required expertise, and will try to resolve the matter with BMW UK, somehow.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
I would recommend not pulling the car from the dealership but rather leaving it there and then getting BMW UK involved. This way they the vehicle will be available for diagnostics whenever they need it. I'm assuming they have given you a loaner to use while it is there.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM

The car is still with the dealer, and still no clear diagnosis.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i ragtop
Question

Quote:
The car is still with the dealer, and still no clear diagnosis.
Hi Lewisman, Any update? Thanks.

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
2016 228i ragtop
http://checkupandchoices.com
Navigo ergo sum
Old 02-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidhester View Post
Hi Lewisman, Any update? Thanks.
I got the car back 2 days ago. It spent close to 4 weeks with the dealer in total. So far so good over the past 2 days. I think they found it. It wasnít explained brilliantly to me, but I think the fault originated with a controller for a moveable vent somewhere on the front (maybe an intake ?), which was giving a fault reading. I assume that for the electric drive to kick-in, there are multiple conditions which must be met, and this controller was preventing that from happening.

The main computer for the car had been switched along the way, so ruled-out as the problem. Seems it was a secondary control that was throwing it all out.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i ragtop
Quote:
I got the car back 2 days ago. It spent close to 4 weeks with the dealer in total. So far so good over the past 2 days. I think they found it. It wasnít explained brilliantly to me, but I think the fault originated with a controller for a moveable vent somewhere on the front (maybe an intake ?), which was giving a fault reading. I assume that for the electric drive to kick-in, there are multiple conditions which must be met, and this controller was preventing that from happening.

The main computer for the car had been switched along the way, so ruled-out as the problem. Seems it was a secondary control that was throwing it all out.
Thanks for the update. Wow, who'd have thought that something like this would have such large consequence. Hopefully BMW will now apply this issue in its manufacturing process.

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
2016 228i ragtop
http://checkupandchoices.com
Navigo ergo sum

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search