Hardwire Radar Detector Install (F10) - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
For those with the valentine one, what's the best cord to buy to hardwire this?

And what's the latest consensus on using power from the RV mirror vs the light console on the roof of the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by den550 View Post
For those with the valentine one, what's the best cord to buy to hardwire this?

And what's the latest consensus on using power from the RV mirror vs the light console on the roof of the car?
If you run backwards through this thread, you will see my description of tapping into the green/brown switched 12V wire to the Garage Door transmitter unit. Since then, the slightly large connecter came loose. I took my 550 to Carbahn in San Jose (Steve Dinan's new place). After fussing with all the wiring, back through the overhead light console, they ended up tapping right back into the same place as I started. Only they used a 'T' connector of the correct gauge. They found a ground somewhere up in there to also tap into.
In the end, after buying my M4 10 months later, I used a correct gauge 'T' connector, same green/brown 12V wire & filed down a tab crimped onto my Valentine ground wire, wedged between the frame and transmitter unit of the door opener.

Both cars are reliably supplying switched 12V to my Valentine ones.

I will note, space is at a premium, especially in the mirror mount console of the M4. So, you want to trim the Valentine wiring kit down, yet retaining the fuse, to a minimum length. Then just before snapping the 2 halves back together, connect your phone jack, tuck the entire bundle inside.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Any specific wiring kit you'd recommend?
Old 10-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Glaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by den550 View Post
Any specific wiring kit you'd recommend?
Short to tearing apart that (2) part mirror bezel and exposing everything, examine the photo for memorable components:

Use: 1) The wire loom, fuse, and jack assembly supplied by Valentine. Cut and splice both red (12V) and black to proper length, using barrel connectors that crimp at both ends. Note, the telephone jack, connected to shortened fabricated (4) wire link to the actual detector. That is all that will protrude from the mirror bezel when done. To construct your own telephone wire, with jacks on each end, requires a special, but cheap tool available at an electronics store.
2) The blue & brown 'T' connector must be very small gauge (high number), to clamp onto the switched 12V brown/green wire.
3) Note how the blade connector crimps onto the red power wire and plugs into the back of the 'T' connector.
4) Lastly, the fork or 'O' connector would fasten to ground, if you can find a screw/bolt. I could not. So, I filed the thickness of the connector, so it interference fit between the frame and the device for the garage door opener, as that is grounded to the car.

Don't use: The standard large gauge (small number) clamp shown to the right under "Don't use". It will wiggle loose and form an intermittent connection on the extremely small gauge green/brown 12V wire in the BMW wire loom. These clamps are used by placing 2 wires parallel to each other, then clamping down on both to make a connection. You will find pictures of such further back in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	825725  
Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Radar detector

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Radar detector

Can you show pictures of where you mounted the Mute/signal unit?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:

V1? I've been looking for a place for mine for almost 4 years! Fortunately, I can easily reach the mute button and looking at the face is as easy as looking in the mirror.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Glaird

Quote:

No sure what part you mean. I have just a V1 unit, w/o the remote features. I used suction cups, near the top of the windshield, next to the mirror bezel. It is out of sight, because it is behind the tint. It is not easily seen, at night, from behind. And, because of the way I wired and have the telephone cord pig tail coming out of the bezel, it attaches right there. No dangling wires/cords.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaird View Post
No sure what part you mean. I have just a V1 unit, w/o the remote features. I used suction cups, near the top of the windshield, next to the mirror bezel. It is out of sight, because it is behind the tint. It is not easily seen, at night, from behind. And, because of the way I wired and have the telephone cord pig tail coming out of the bezel, it attaches right there. No dangling wires/cords.
I believe he means the remote display.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: E90 BMW
Thank you

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
diy, hardwire, radar detector

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search