Sport or sport+ - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM
06Black550i's Avatar
06Black550i 06Black550i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
Sport or sport+

I enjoy the stiffer suspension and tighter steering with sport engaged. What does sport+ do?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Metallic-Force Metallic-Force is offline
Registered User
Location: San Antonio Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 10 toes
You get less assistance from the dynamic stability control. Which adjusts over or under steer. It's helpful to have it off when drifting at corner on a track.
for daily driving it might be best to stay on sport.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,166
Mein Auto: E92 335i
You can configure sport mode so that only the drive train is affected, or chassis or both. Sport+ defaults all settings to most aggressive as well as partially disabling the traction control. You can turn the nanny off completely by holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds. But do so at your own risk, especially with a 550i.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Gruntion's Avatar
Gruntion Gruntion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 232
Mein Auto: 2018 540xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
I enjoy the stiffer suspension and tighter steering with sport engaged. What does sport+ do?
Dealer told me the difference is Sport+ engages rear wheel drive only. Not sure if that is true but, seems like that is a good reason to disengage DSC. But, what do I know?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,166
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntion View Post
Dealer told me the difference is Sport+ engages rear wheel drive only. Not sure if that is true but, seems like that is a good reason to disengage DSC. But, what do I know?
Your dealer, like most dealers doesn't know as much as you would think. The X-Drive vehicles in the 5 series can only send a maximum of 80% to the rear wheels.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,878
Mein Auto: 19 MB G550, 19 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Your dealer, like most dealers doesn't know as much as you would think. The X-Drive vehicles in the 5 series can only send a maximum of 80% to the rear wheels.
Are you positive? I thought I read in the BMW literature that it can send 100% to any wheel.
__________________


BMWs
2019 X3 3.0 Sport Utility Vehicle
2015 M6 Drophead Coupé
2015 328dx Estate
2013 X5M Sport Utility Vehicle
2013 650xi 2 Door Fastback Saloon
2011 Dinan 5 Saloon
2011 335d Saloon


Other
2019 MB G550 Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM
eyesight1's Avatar
eyesight1 eyesight1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Corning New York
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
You can configure sport mode so that only the drive train is affected, or chassis or both. Sport+ defaults all settings to most aggressive as well as partially disabling the traction control. You can turn the nanny off completely by holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds. But do so at your own risk, especially with a 550i.
I agree. Unless you are very experienced handling a car at speed with controlled sliding at 99% of the car's capability being used, keep the car out of Sport +. A few decades ago I did a lot of Autocross with an old Mazda RX7 and a highly modified Formula Vee. So, I know a bit - but not as much as some - about cars at their limits. I still keep my F10 out of Sport +. The safety of the "nanny" controls lets me keep my pants clean!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 AM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,166
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Are you positive? I thought I read in the BMW literature that it can send 100% to any wheel.
The old Xdrive used to send 40/60 split all the time which would cause understeer during aggressive driving. The F10 default is 40/60 as well, but when you drive it aggressively it will send 20/80 front to back as well as the torque-vectoring system that brakes the inside rear wheel while feeding power to the unbraked outside wheel. I believe XDrive can send 100% power to either axle at start up in extreme slippery situations, but I don't think this full power distribution is maintained while driving at speed. I should have been more clear about that...
__________________

Last edited by TJPark01; 12-17-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:53 AM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,074
Mein Auto: 2015 435i Convertible
To be clear,

There is DSC Dynamic Stability Control
There is DTC Dynamic Traction Control

When in Sport +, you disable DTC, and there will be an indicator/text on the dash stating the "DSC is still Active".

If you use the DSC button, you can disable DSC, DTC, or both depending on how long you hold down the button.

Am I correct?
__________________
2015 435i Convertible
M Sport, M Performance Power Kit

2016 Lexus CT200H
2016 Lexus NX200t
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,878
Mein Auto: 19 MB G550, 19 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
The old Xdrive used to send 40/60 split all the time which would cause understeer during aggressive driving. The F10 default is 40/60 as well, but when you drive it aggressively it will send 20/80 front to back as well as the torque-vectoring system that brakes the inside rear wheel while feeding power to the unbraked outside wheel. I believe XDrive can send 100% power to either axle at start up in extreme slippery situations, but I don't think this full power distribution is maintained while driving at speed. I should have been more clear about that...
Thanks for the clarification.
__________________


BMWs
2019 X3 3.0 Sport Utility Vehicle
2015 M6 Drophead Coupé
2015 328dx Estate
2013 X5M Sport Utility Vehicle
2013 650xi 2 Door Fastback Saloon
2011 Dinan 5 Saloon
2011 335d Saloon


Other
2019 MB G550 Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:00 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,878
Mein Auto: 19 MB G550, 19 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
To be clear,

There is DSC Dynamic Stability Control
There is DTC Dynamic Traction Control

When in Sport +, you disable DTC, and there will be an indicator/text on the dash stating the "DSC is still Active".

If you use the DSC button, you can disable DSC, DTC, or both depending on how long you hold down the button.

Am I correct?
Yes, but IIRC when you hold the DSC long enough to disable, then car also backs out of Sport(+) mode.
__________________


BMWs
2019 X3 3.0 Sport Utility Vehicle
2015 M6 Drophead Coupé
2015 328dx Estate
2013 X5M Sport Utility Vehicle
2013 650xi 2 Door Fastback Saloon
2011 Dinan 5 Saloon
2011 335d Saloon


Other
2019 MB G550 Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Metallic-Force Metallic-Force is offline
Registered User
Location: San Antonio Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 10 toes
I drove a 2011 Z4 3.5, it was raining that day and I decided to put it on sport plus, didn't realize what I'd be losing. Car was all over the place on acceleration, had decent grip though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
06Black550i's Avatar
06Black550i 06Black550i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
You can configure sport mode so that only the drive train is affected, or chassis or both. Sport+ defaults all settings to most aggressive as well as partially disabling the traction control. You can turn the nanny off completely by holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds. But do so at your own risk, especially with a 550i.
Thanks TJ -- I'll keep in Sport or Normal since Sport+ deactivates some traction control. Funny that the + warning says DTC active rather than some traction control deactivated.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Metallic-Force Metallic-Force is offline
Registered User
Location: San Antonio Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 10 toes
If you can, go drive a viper, it's pretty much an engine, 2 chairs, and a chassis... not much else. It's an untamed car, and very dangerous. It's pretty much what it's like with all the settings off.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.