Run flats, BMW assist, and a 24 hour vacation delay - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
Run flats, BMW assist, and a 24 hour vacation delay

With all the talk of run flats and such, thought I'd share a little story.

Decided to take the scenic route to my destination, along the Klamath river, then over a little hill into Oregon. Beautiful drive. The hill, though, was just high enough for enough snow to block the summit. If not for the Subaru digging itself out, mighta tried to make it through. Was about 15 miles from my destination.

Turned around, knowing I had just added many (5ish) hours to my trip. Several more miles down the road the low pressure indicator came on. No cell service. Deactivated com box. Made it to the next stop about 30 miles away, called aaa, then waited 4 hours.

After a tow to a tire shop 45 mins away and staying in a motel, the tire shop, of course, wouldn't patch the run flat and arranged to tow me to the nearest BMW dealer, another 45 miles away. Of course they wouldn't fix it either, but we're nice enough to send me a tire shop who did.

A spare tire sure woulda been nice. Didn't need the sos button, fortunately, but now kicking myself for deactivating it.

Last edited by MajorTranq; 05-06-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
What happened to the tire?
Nail? or screw?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Can of slime might have let you get away without the tow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Everyone in the shop disappeared so I didn't ask what caused the flat. Went through many construction zones, lots of sharp rocks. Coulda been a lot of stuff. Slime probably woulda done the trick, too.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Can of slime might have let you get away without the tow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
Everyone in the shop disappeared so I didn't ask what caused the flat. Went through many construction zones, lots of sharp rocks. Coulda been a lot of stuff. Slime probably woulda done the trick, too.
Why not Slime RFT's pre-emptively?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=977318
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-06-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

Thanks. Didn't know that!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
What's the point of a runflat if you still need a tow? Very frustrating. Seems like it works for narrow situations.

I thought tire stores didn't like you using fix-a-flat/slime type stuff?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I imagine that it hardens after exposure to air (inside the tire), and would not tightly seal around a nail or hole in the tire. I also imagine there is a risk for the stuff to coat the inside of the tire unevenly and put the tire out of balance.

Several manufacturers make self-sealing tires, though.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
What's the point of a runflat if you still need a tow? Very frustrating. Seems like it works for narrow situations.

My wife hit a pothole the other day and drove on the flat run flat for 3 days without any problem. She put about 60 miles a day. She did mention that the "horseshoe" light came on but i assumed it was a little low so i didn't check it. She never mentioned hitting the pot hole either. They do work.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 PM

I'll give the run flat credit for getting me to the nearest phone in the middle of nowhere. It was stressful, though, not knowing how far it would go.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:30 AM

I'm considering replacing the runflats with non-runflats. But I guess the runflats have a bit of advantage of getting you out of a remote or potentially dangerous area.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I imagine that it hardens after exposure to air (inside the tire), and would not tightly seal around a nail or hole in the tire. I also imagine there is a risk for the stuff to coat the inside of the tire unevenly and put the tire out of balance.

Several manufacturers make self-sealing tires, though.
Yes, Pirelli and Continental, while Michelin has withdrawn their PAX but for replacements.

There are about twenty-five years (since 1989) of experience with Slime brand tire sealants that remain viscous on exposure to air and report the same capabilities as manufactured self-sealing tires; sealing a 5 mm puncture in the tread area.

A similar product, Ride On Tire Protection System, touts hydrodynamics as balancing their product and experience at high speed. http://www.ride-on.com/
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-07-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Northern BMW Fan

Quote:
I'm considering replacing the runflats with non-runflats. But I guess the runflats have a bit of advantage of getting you out of a remote or potentially dangerous area.
If the area is that dangerous you'll drive on a non run flat as well. Might end up damaging the rim, but then how often are you in an area like that.

And for getting to a phone - can of slime did that just fine for me when I needed to get to a tire shop to replace my tires (irreparable puncture). Drove about 40-50 miles with it like that.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Northern BMW Fan

Quote:
If they have to patch the tire then they have to get rid of the slime which is dirty and annoying. Throw the guy doing it a 20 and it should be fine. The tire shop didn't care when I took mine in but then they weren't patching it either.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Nuclear engineer

IMHO the preeminent benefit of RFT is that one can choose in which bad neighborhood one waits for the flatbed. Most neighborhoods of Milwaukee are such that I only go there armed.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
[QUOTE=MajorTranq;110146930.

A spare tire sure woulda been nice. Didn't need the sos button, fortunately, but now kicking myself for deactivating it.[/QUOTE]

Of you had no cell service then this likely would have had no connection either.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: E63 650i, F13 M6
OP, sorry to hear about your troubles. run flats or go flats, always a good idea to have a spare, anyone ever needs one for the E84 X1,
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E84-KIT.html
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Of you had no cell service then this likely would have had no connection either.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Bimmerfest mobile app

That's probably true. Was thinking the sos button operated via satellite for some reason.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Looking back, the runflat did its job and I'm glad to have had it. Was a hassle to get it repaired and very frustrating the first tire shop wouldn't even look at it before trucking me off to a BMW dealer who I knew wouldn't fix it, either. Props to BMW, though, for sending me to the right tire shop without trying to sell me a new set of tires.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
OP, sorry to hear about your troubles. run flats or go flats, always a good idea to have a spare, anyone ever needs one for the E84 X1,
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E84-KIT.html
If I don't mind losing the trunk space, that might be worth considering for long trips....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search