Best UHP All-Season Options - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
Best UHP All-Season Options

OK, short notice, since I'm going to try and buy tomorrow...

I just swapped out from my winter tires and saw that I need to replace my OEM Goodyear Eagle run-flats.

I've decided to make the jump to non run-flats in part because I track the car occasionally and have a much better selection in standard tires.

As noted above I use winter tires, so I'm not concerned about winter/snow performance. What are peoples recommendations if I'm looking for the best combination of performance and wear?

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is where I initially lean, but I'm curious to hear other recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: x1 ride kawasaki zx12r
I've heard some good reports about the new breed of continental tyres give them a look Craig
Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
When I had a screw in the sidewall of one of my Goodyear OE run-flats, I replaced the set with BFG Comp-2 A/S. This was based on the good reviews and tests on Tirerack.com. Beenn running them over a year and I am very happy - better ride and better handling compared to the OE Goodyears. And good price. Here's a link.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e+COMP-2+A%2FS

Note I run these all year round in the Northeast, so the good snow performance was important. Since you have winter tires, that may not be a top priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
You need a summer tire, since you track and use winters already.

I always buy the best rain tire that also works well in dry.

That's not a All season for rain it's Michelin Pilot Super sport.

I ran Hankooks Ventus V12's highly touted as good in rain, and inexpensive.

Yeah, a little bit, but laTER got hard as a rock and only 14k miles.

Also, I read where Michelin PSS works in rain down to wear bars, and it will run longer up to 30k miles. so price per mile is very good.

I just put the pSS on my RX8 in a very small size of 215/40r18 and they are incredible.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:40 AM

I thought about summer tires, but the problem is that here in Colorado we can frequently have cold/snow through April and sometimes even into May. Summer tires are flat out dangerous in those conditions.

Bottom line is I tracked the car running the crappy Goodyear Eagle run-flats that the car came with. So any of the A/S UHP options will be better than those.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
I hear ya. I'm at Midland tx, and anywhere north of here can get snow in May.

I drove my Pirelli P7 summer tires at about 30 deg and starting slush on road with no ill temper.

First thing in morning with slick on road, I don't know.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Some follow-up, I ended up with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and have been completely happy with these tires. Ride wise it is an entirely new car without having the harshness of the run flats.

Performance wise, I didn't really get to push them when I took it to the track as it was right around freezing with a light snow and wet track. However, I've gone on some of my more fun driving routes and have really like the added grip. Way better than the Eagles.

I've also noticed that by going to a slightly wider tire the car is more stable at high speeds. The car used to be slightly jittery on the highway, but feels rock solid now. I thought the added width might negatively impact turning slightly, but really have not noticed anything here.

As for the Summer vs All-Season debate, having a late snow storm this year (May 18th) just re-enforced my decision to go the A/S route.

Overall I would absolutely buy these again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search