Brand new base x1, thoughts? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Talking about Mazda... We already have a same size SUV as cx-5 so I didn't pay much attention to it. However, I find the new cx-9 really exciting tho. Very likely will be the upgrade of our SUV in the near future. I'm very happy for Mazda, seeing how much they have improved over the years.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
I drove the CX5 on my last car buying round, and I found it surprisingly underwhelming. In GT trim its very nice inside, but Touring and below has a lower quality interior.
This is part of the problem. You can always pay "a little more" and get better options packages, and then you're into the price range of a "better" car!

Quote:
Plus, the engine is nothing special unless you are in sport mode, and then it's so thrashy that you would not want to live with it every day. Once you move up to GT, there are plenty of better new and used options in that price range. I liked the GT I drove, but I liked the VW Sportwagen much more for the same price. And I like my CPO X1 even more.
I was driving a Golf TDI. I could have easily gotten a GTI or even Audi A3. Did I make the right choice? The best choice probably would be an economy car -- maybe a Mazda 3 -- but I have long wanted to try a BMW. Well, seemed like a good idea. ;-)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: x1 ride kawasaki zx12r
we took a mazda cx5 for a run before we bought the x1, I like the look of the car but the ride was like being in a boat rocking, and rolling and the engine sound was very old school diesel, and it didn't feel solid compared to the bmw just my $0.02 Craig
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
This is part of the problem. You can always pay "a little more" and get better options packages, and then you're into the price range of a "better" car!

I was driving a Golf TDI. I could have easily gotten a GTI or even Audi A3. Did I make the right choice? The best choice probably would be an economy car -- maybe a Mazda 3 -- but I have long wanted to try a BMW. Well, seemed like a good idea. ;-)
The A3 is a great car if you are a single man or woman. I test drove that too and liked it, but it was just too small. And honestly, I don't think the 1.8t was any faster than my old Mazda 3 with the 2.5 engine even though it felt stronger from a start. Once you put the up level engine in it I think you might as well get a A4 (but the new 2.0 in the a3 may be enough to bother with). The 3 has a lot going for it, but its still an econobox at heart- loud and lots of NVH. It's a very well tuned econobox, with some good features, but it just does not feel as solid as any VW, Audi, or BMW.

As far as a new GTI vs. a CPO X1...its a close call, honestly. I don't see either as more reliable (at least if you don't chip either) and I think the GTI ends up being a bit faster since its lighter. I prefer the RWD bias + AWD in the X1, but the GTI is pretty much the best FWD car out there. VW salespeople can be pretty crappy to deal with. I like the more conservative styling of the X1, personally. I may very well end up back in a VW myself someday if the CPO market tightens in the future like I think it will.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Yeah, the 1.8t wasn't terribly exciting, but with the faster engine, it's basically like the GTI, only more grown-up looking. A bit small, as you say, but it was a fun on the test drive with the Quattro -- AWD plus the upgraded engine. A hatchback like the GTI or X1 allows for a bit more utility with a small car, so I kind of like that. The BMW isn't as stylish as the A3, I suppose, but it's a bit of a sleeper, not looking all boy-racer.

A new GTI would have still been a lot more than what I paid for the X1, and while I did see at least one used GTI, I'm pretty sure it didn't have the features of the newer ones, so I wasn't too sure about it. New GTIs are faster than the 28i X1, but not sure about the older GTIs. Anyway, it's not enough of a difference for me to worry too much about. Handling is fun on both, but I think I like the RWD of my sDrive a bit more. It's such an odd car, looking more like SUV than car, but it works.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 PM

I remember stepped inside co-worker's GTI. I swore to my back I'll never do it again. Low clearance car is really not for me. (I'm 6'1" Asian with long thigh.)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 AM

I'm not that tall, but it does seem like I fit in the Golf better than many small cars. I did have to put the seat down to the lowest setting, though. The X1 feels roomier.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
I'm not that tall, but it does seem like I fit in the Golf better than many small cars. I did have to put the seat down to the lowest setting, though. The X1 feels roomier.
I think the sitting position inside golf is very good and fairly upright. However the low clearance (say, distance from butt to ground) really got me trapped on my seat and required extra effort to get out. That being said, it wasn't half bad compared to my time in BRZ. I felt like 90 year old when I tried to get out of the car.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Ha! Yeah, the BRZ is interesting.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search