iPod not working - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Honda
iPod not working

I did a search but could not find the same issue.

My car doesn't have Navigation and Apple CarPlay. The Bluetooth works fine but once I plug the phone to the car, it stops functioning.

The car recognizes my phone. It charges and I can see my music on the phone. The problem is once I press "play" there is nothing happens. The multimedia screen shows Bluetooth is grayed out and the phone is connected through a cord.

Did I do something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Check "USB" or "External devices" (or whatever it's called in the menus now), not Bluetooth. You can connect the phone (subject says "iPod" but you keep saying phone ) as a music source either as a Bluetooth streaming-audio device, or as an MP3 player/mass-storage device on the USB port--not both at once. AFAIK the USB connection takes precedence over Bluetooth audio. The hands-free phone profile is separate and will still work.

BMW CCA
Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminHan View Post

My car doesn't have Navigation and Apple CarPlay. The Bluetooth works fine but once I plug the phone to the car, it stops functioning.

The car recognizes my phone. It charges and I can see my music on the phone. The problem is once I press "play" there is nothing happens. The multimedia screen shows Bluetooth is grayed out and the phone is connected through a cord.

Agree with Zeichen...

Also, exactly which "my car" model are we talking about? The 2016 Honda you have in your "mein garage"?

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Agree with Zeichen...

Also, exactly which "my car" model are we talking about? The 2016 Honda you have in your "mein garage"?
Sorry I was not clear. I was trying to say the "music playback" function that is not working on my 320

I read the user manual and it says if I plug my phone the car recognizes and charges the phone automatically (this works fine). I can even see the music files that I have on my phone.

The problem is the music does not play. If I hit the "play" button nothing happens. It is not like the phone shows playing but no sound in the car, it is just not playing even on the phone.

I think I only have 1 USB port, there is no USB port in the glove compartment.

If I disconnect the USB and only use Bluetooth, I can play the music on my phone. But that means I cannot charge the phone and play music at the same time
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
If you use the USB port in the car, you can not Bluetooth stream the audio.
If you want to charge the audio device (phone) and use Bluethooth, then use a adapter for the 12V outlet to USB, not the port in the armrest.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
If you use the USB port in the car, you can not Bluetooth stream the audio.
If you want to charge the audio device (phone) and use Bluethooth, then use a adapter for the 12V outlet to USB, not the port in the armrest.
Can I use USB to charge the phone and in the meantime stream audio through USB (not Bluetooth)? I would think I can but the playback does not work
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Which type of USB cable are you using?

Quote:

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which type of USB cable are you using?
I am using a standard USB cable for iPhone. It is not the cable came with my phone, I think I bought it from amazon (maybe an Amazon Basic). This cable worked fine on my Honda
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
I am using a standard USB cable for iPhone. It is not the cable came with my phone, I think I bought it from amazon (maybe an Amazon Basic). This cable worked fine on my Honda
Can you provide the last 7-digits of your VIN via PM, please? You may have to use the OEM iPod/iPhone cable depending on the OEM equipment in your F30.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 AM

BTW Op, Technic knows more about this topic than just about anyone so he is definitely the one who would be able to definitively tell you. Maybe PM him the last 7 of the vin if you dont want to post it, but since he is willing to look, I would definitely get it to him.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
BTW Op, Technic knows more about this topic than just about anyone so he is definitely the one who would be able to definitively tell you. Maybe PM him the last 7 of the vin if you dont want to post it, but since he is willing to look, I would definitely get it to him.
Yes I just PM him. It is my first BMW and the BMW system is so different than Honda's I feel I might have missed something when setting up the phone
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes I just PM him. It is my first BMW and the BMW system is so different than Honda's I feel I might have missed something when setting up the phone
Since you mention having a 320 with no nav, its likely you may need to be using BMWs proprietary cable (not just a lightning cable) but Technic would (likely) know for sure.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Since you mention having a 320 with no nav, its likely you may need to be using BMWs proprietary cable (not just a lightning cable) but Technic would (likely) know for sure.
I read an article on Bimmerpost and yes my music does not stream through USB because BMW wants me to either get enhanced Bluetooth or purchase a BMW Y cable.

I guess it is another BMW's trick to create inconvenience for the customers. There are already many standard features on less expensive cars but we have to pay additional on BMW, I am just a little surprised BMW went the extra mile on something small like this

I wil live with this inconvenience and use Bluetooth only to stream music. I love the car but does not want BMW to laugh at me saying "got you" lol

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
iPod not working

You can get your 320 coded to have EBT.

Don't bother with the Y cable. It's a POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijanO View Post
You can get your 320 coded to have EBT.

Don't bother with the Y cable. It's a POS.

There's nothing wrong with the Y cable.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Y cable.
+1... for me anyway. I had to use the Y cable when we had my wifes e60 528, and it worked just fine for that technology at that time.

You can likely find an OEM one cheaper online than a dealer if you want, and music sounds better over USB than bluetooth to me so I only listen over USB unless I am going on a VERY short trip (think to the store or to get fast food or something).

The other part of the argument (that BMW makes you pay for many things that are standard in lower marquee cars) is not a BMW thing.. its a "german luxury car" thing.

They consider it as "providing you with choice to not get things you dont want"... for example you say you dont have Navigation, so you obviously did not want it (or did not value it enough to make it a must have for you), and you can get the car that way. Some dont want the drivers assist things because it puts the little "dimples" on the bumper that they hate... so they can get the car that way.

If you put that on every car, not only does the cost go up a little, but now you also have people having to buy a car with features they dont want... so BMW offers us the choice to purchase those things or not.

(boy hows that for a sales speech? No I dont work for BMW or any car dealer, and never have, but I DID do sales in a previous career... and the above is likely how I would spin it if I was attempting to sell you a car. Its not "wrong" its just " spin". For the record, I agree there should be more things standard, like enhanced bluetooth and drivers assist).

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Well, it was a major fail in my 320. The sound was really bad, terrible distortion. It was like it overloaded the amplifier, it was unusable. A USB thumb drive did the trick until I had it coded.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
... BMW offers us the choice to purchase those things or not.

(boy hows that for a sales speech? ... [T]he above is likely how I would spin it if I was attempting to sell you a car. Its not "wrong" its just " spin".
It's easier to spin when it happens to be the truth.

Believe it or not, a domestic-market BMW has even less standard equipment than we see here in the US. Much of what is "standard" here is a predetermined set of options, chosen and imposed by BMW NA. Spare though it may seem, it's basically the feature set without which they know they wouldn't have a prayer of selling a car here.

BMW CCA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search