New 328d owner with some Q's - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
New 328d owner with some Q's

Hi guys,

Just purchased a CPO 328d (black/black with sports and premium packages) yesterday. Coming from an Infiniti G37S coupe, it's quite a difference, but I really enjoy the drive, and even more so, the fuel economy.

Couple of quick questions: Does anyone know (or can direct me to some good resources) about BMW's diesel exhaust emissions? Specifically, this is my first diesel vehicle, and I've always heard that diesel exhaust fumes are more toxic/cancer-causing than gas motors. But it feels like those reports are about older diesel tech, and I can't find anything specific to BMW other than they use DEF, SCR, and particulate filters to help reduce this. Does anyone know how these new "clean diesel's" compare nowadays to gas in this regard?

Also, when I parked in the garage last night, there was a strong smell. At first I thought it was the diesel odor, but when I popped the hood, it smelled like a burning plastic or rubber smell (left side of the engine bay as you face the car, I think where the exhaust piping is, right around where the turbo is located). Seems to radiate more with the heat of the engine. I couldn't see any leaks anywhere, or any smoke, but don't think this is normal. Hopefully someone can chime in?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to being a part of this community.

(I initially incorrectly posted this in the 2-series forum, sorry for the double-post...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
Drove a VW diesel for 8 years and 85,000 miles. Here is what I know, but there is scads of more information to be found by a simple google search. First, diesels produce soot. The large particles of soot are breathed in and lodge in the lungs. Obviously, this is bad. Many cities have outlawed the idling of buses and large diesel-powered commercial vehickes exactly for this reason. Your car - and all modern diesels - have particulate filters to catch the soot and unburned particles of fuel. As far as the burning smell, continue to check it since it isn't normal.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
User n1das has some emissions stuff in his profile/sig that might interest you.

Also, check out the diesel vehicles section.

I can't say I've noticed any strange odors coming from my engine compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: '17 328d msport wagon EB
Sounds like you interrupted a dpf regen when you parked hence the stink. I've had that happen a few times. Fans may also come on depending on when you've interrupted it. I think most of the cancer stuff was related to soot which these cars produce very little of.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG1 View Post
Does anyone know (or can direct me to some good resources) about BMW's diesel exhaust emissions? Specifically, this is my first diesel vehicle, and I've always heard that diesel exhaust fumes are more toxic/cancer-causing than gas motors. But it feels like those reports are about older diesel tech, and I can't find anything specific to BMW other than they use DEF, SCR, and particulate filters to help reduce this. Does anyone know how these new "clean diesel's" compare nowadays to gas in this regard?
Since 2007, diesel cars sold in the USA/CA have to meet the same emissions standards that gasoline cars do - NOx, CO, HC, etc. 2007 was when Ultra-Low Sulfur 15ppm diesel was mandated. That resulted in significantly less soot generated, and the DPF reduces it to pretty much nil. (Interestingly, gasoline in the USA/CA has much more sulfur in it than diesel, up to 200ppm. That is the main reason that diesels use BMW LL-04 motor oil while gassers are stuck with the older LL-01.)

As noted, the diesel subforum is the place to ask more questions. Particularly, there are some pdf's posted of some BMW documents - look in the stickies for "Advanced Diesel with Bluetec", and some others; very informative.

Also as noted, interrupting a regen of the DPF by shutting off the engine results in a very hot and sometimes smelly engine compartment. They happen every 500 miles or so, but the car has to be completely up to temp before they start - long runs are good for these engines.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! Very helpful to know, and certainly puts my mind at ease.

SBMGBs - I searched for what that dpf regen is...hadn't heard of it before. Generally, how long should I leave my car running in the morning before driving, and also, before shutting it off? The BMW dealership didn't have the manual for the car, so they had to order one (otherwise I'm sure this is all in there...). The whole diesel nuances thing is still greek to me; your patience is much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanks floydarogers! I need to research more about the DPF regen and will check out the diesel section specifically. I have a suspicion that is what is causing this. I'm not fully informed on what that is, or what I need to do to satisfy the car to not stink at me.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: '17 328d msport wagon EB
Drive the car normally. Don't let the car idle to warm up as diesel engines take a long time to warm up when driving and even longer when left to idle. Just drive it gently till the oil temp starts to come up. Don't worry about interrupting a regen. At worst the fans will come on for a bit with some stink. If you're doing a lot of short trips it's a good practice to take a longer drive to let the car fully come up to temp and give it time to do a full regen.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Congrats!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:12 PM

Well I swung by the dealership, and they agreed the smell is not normal. The tech said he doesn't know what it is, but smells of diesel to him. So far not off to a great start. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

I'm dropping it off in the morning for them to look into it. Fingers crossed it's something minor.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '14 328d 02 M3 91 325ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG1 View Post
Well I swung by the dealership, and they agreed the smell is not normal. The tech said he doesn't know what it is, but smells of diesel to him. So far not off to a great start. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

I'm dropping it off in the morning for them to look into it. Fingers crossed it's something minor.
Did you have resolution on this?
1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:15 AM

Apparently, during the CPO process, the dealership repaired a leak in the engine bay, and while doing so, the tech spilled diesel fuel in there, causing the smell. Unfortunately it was in a section that got warm enough to release a strong smell, but not hot enough to burn it off. They said they couldn't get to the area it spilled without dismantling a lot of the engine, so they agreed to take the car back. I've since purchased a different 3-series.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search