2015 X1 vs 2006 325ci convert? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 235ci convertible
2015 X1 vs 2006 325ci convert?

Facing a collection of not that serious repairs coming out to whopping $4500 (time for new set of tires, brakes, some bushings...) on my 2006 325ci convertible with 85000 miles. I'm second owner bought it certified pre-owned from dealer and I fully own it-no more car payments. Is it still worth it to repair, or better to upgrade to say a 2015 X1 certified pre-owned? Feel like every year I'm losing value on the car, but finding this site seems like it is end of an era on the E46. Better to stick with my trusty 6cly or will I not even notice on the 2015 X1? I've been wanting to upgrade to a crossover or mini suv but wanted to wait a bit longer Sooo appreciate any guidance here as car is at the shop. Not sure trade is will offer much but the repair savings for 18 months on the certified are attractive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I owned a 2006 BMW 330Cic (manual, loaded) for about 18 months before trading it for a CPO 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, loaded). I loved the convertible, but living in the Pacific Northwest and spending my weekends hiking, it was just the wrong choice -- no matter how much I enjoyed the top-down driving.
About a year ago, I traded the X3 for a 2014 CPO BMW X1 "xDrive35i". I had ten years between my E46 convertible and my E83 SUV, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Living in Seattle and regularly driving in the Cascade mountains, a turbo is a huge plus! Even with the bigger, 3-liter engine in the 330 convertible, I noticed it would lose its punch at altitude. Same with the X3 which also had the same inline six, 3.0L engine. The N55 engine in my X1 is a totally different world; effortless power at any speed or altitude. I drove my friends 4-cylinder turbo X1s and they still have more than enough power. Compared to a 12-year-old 325, you'll be satisfied.
The other big change is in the electronics. There was no good way to play music from my phone in my 330Cic or X3. With my X1, I can play directly from my phone in the center armrest or from a USB stick with all of my music loaded up on it. For long road trips, it's makes such a difference. I drove from Seattle to southern Utah last fall and the ability to play anything in my massive music collection without having to fumble with CDs while driving 75mph was great. Bottom line, I really like my X1, and I plan to keep it for a long time!

-James
Seattle, WA

My old 330Cic:

The X1:

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 03-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:10 PM

Your cars are in beautiful condition! That X1 is looking and sounding very appealing.... think I'll head out for some test driving this weekend. Thanks for posting, every so helpful. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 06:05 PM

Here's the thread on the Utah roadtrip. It really was epic and the X1 handled great.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1115825

Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 AM

James, do you have AWD? or any thoughts about needing AWD in the X1? Also, have you found the height of undercarriage good for desert type dirt roads? I like to go out to Yucca Valley desert to visit and most of the community is accessed on dirt roads. This isn't major off-roading, but you can go a couple of dusty miles out there which is not ok for the 325 ci...
Old 03-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
James, do you have AWD? or any thoughts about needing AWD in the X1? Also, have you found the height of undercarriage good for desert type dirt roads? I like to go out to Yucca Valley desert to visit and most of the community is accessed on dirt roads. This isn't major off-roading, but you can go a couple of dusty miles out there which is not ok for the 325 ci...
I prefer AWD. Yes, it detracts a bit from steering feel because you're powering the front wheels, and it adds a bit of weight. But here in the rainy/snowy Pacific Northwest it's essential.
As for ground clearance, it has "enough" to get me to the trailheads I love in the Cascades and it was enough for Escalante National Monument and other dirt & gravel roads in Utah. Listen, it's not a Toyota 4Runner, but it drives a hell of a lot better than any Toyota.

So, don't kid yourself. This isn't a Land Rover or a 4Runner, but I've never had any issues with ground clearance and I actually do take my X1 and my old X3 off road regularly.

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Thanks, James, I can see that! I've done that southern utah trip as a two-week road trip in a truck with a pop-up camper, from sw colorado to la, it's stunning! I really appreciate your insights, heading out to do some test driving today. It's been great finding this site. I took my 2006 325ci in for a second opinion to a bmw shop and that was very informative. He said to stick with the 2014-2015 X1s as after that the model changes and they haven't worked out the issues yet... I'm def looking at the xdrives, the 4WD and the 4cyl turbo.... he also said carmax with their maxcare plan was a good way to go. I've done before dealer lease and dealer certified pre-owned...
Old 03-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Code/Grease Monkey

Mein Auto: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Facing a collection of not that serious repairs coming out to whopping $4500 (time for new set of tires, brakes, some bushings...) on my 2006 325ci convertible with 85000 miles. I'm second owner bought it certified pre-owned from dealer and I fully own it-no more car payments. Is it still worth it to repair, or better to upgrade to say a 2015 X1 certified pre-owned? Feel like every year I'm losing value on the car, but finding this site seems like it is end of an era on the E46. Better to stick with my trusty 6cly or will I not even notice on the 2015 X1? I've been wanting to upgrade to a crossover or mini suv but wanted to wait a bit longer Sooo appreciate any guidance here as car is at the shop. Not sure trade is will offer much but the repair savings for 18 months on the certified are attractive...
Regarding the E46, a few comments if I may?
- DIY all your repairs, otherwise itís not worth it. Labor costs will easily near the carís value.
- See e46fanatics.com, very active with solid daily contributors.
- I have both an E46 and E84, and the E46 handles much better while the E84 has a severely rough ride (M-sport with runflats).
Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Guess what, after finally deciding to sell the 2006 325ci convert, and being carless for five weeks, I just ended up with a great 2015 X1 35i !! Of course I'm discovering a few litte things I missed in the negotiation (like thecargo cover...), , but overall it's a great vehicle. I'm still trying to figure out if my iphone 6s can fit the snapin adaptor and the bluetooth pairing etc... Seems otherwise great, one owner 28k miles, dark gray, has sport trim, ultimate package....
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Congrats and welcome to the club!

So, your X1 didn't have the rear cargo cover when you bought it? Odd. Shouldn't be terribly expensive to purchase one, though, so that's good news. Bluetooth pairing of my Android phone was pretty straightforward. I never put my phone in the "holder" in the center console....

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2006 325ci, 2015 x1

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search