X1 35i Dinan Stg 2 review - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM
U Boat Commander

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 35i Msport
X1 35i Dinan Stg 2 review

Thought i'd throw this up, since I could not find very many reviews myself while researching the tune. So a bit over 24 hours ago, I've been running with the Dinan Stg 2 tune. Went to All German Auto in Escondido, just up the road from me in La Jolla. Great service, in and out in a little over an hour, including a comp car wash ( handwashed, no brushes) and vacuumed interior. (Plus I nearly wrote a check for the 98 Audi TT convertible with a 6sp in their showroom, but wives, man...)

Initially, right afterwards, it still felt a little bit...slow ( relative to my expectations of the tune). However the folks at AGA told me that for the next tank of gas/125 miles, I should drive "a bit more aggressively" to really get the tune to adapt, as the upgrade resets the ECU and the car has to relearn my style of driving. So said, so done. As of this morning, on my usual driving route to drop off my son to daycare, it pulls much harder off the line in D, and shifts feel noticeably smoother. Once I drop him off, I usually switch off all the nannies, put it in DS, and paddle shift home...a mix of canyon road and freeway.

Well here, there is a very significant difference in performance; I could pull off holeshot passing maneuvers I would have never even thought about in stock with ease and aplomb. I went back out to run some errands ( I took the week off from work so I could run around and play during the daytime ); each time I've gotten behind the wheel, the car feels stronger, faster...more FREE I guess is the best, butt dyno-tested way to describe it. For daily driving, the mid-range is particularly strong, and on the freeway I'm attaining performance and speeds with mere 5th gear pulls that I'd only previously seen in 3rd...maybe 4th. Hope this helps for those considering going with Dinan. More ( and less long winded) updates in the next 24 hrs...

Old 03-13-2015, 05:19 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2015 M4, 2015 i3
That sounds spot-on to what I've noticed in the past couple of weeks!
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Silver/Beige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech/Dinan Stage 2*
2015 i3 Capparisweiss/Solaric
2015 M4/man./Mineralgrau/Schwarz
*retired
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
U Boat Commander

Day 2

Didn't get much driving in yesterday (Friday), had some MBA work to get done, however, in just around town type driving, it's a marked improvement over stock off the line throttle response, especially with regard to smoothness and power.The car responds much better to throttle tip-in, yet not jerky or overeager; compared to how sluggish it was before, it's one of the best attributes of this mod. Again, hole-shot maneuvers are even easier to accomplish and mid range response seems to be improving daily, and interestingly enough, Drive is now extremely enjoyable in daily driving because of the shift response and the aforementioned improvements off the line.

One caveat; one of my favorite routes home involves a mile long downhill canyon road with right and left sweepers that leads to a right hand/short sweeper turn onto a freeway on-ramp. Basically if it's empty, you hit the approach out of the left hand sweeper, brake hard, drop to 3rd, punch it through the right hander and onto the upward ramp straight on the the freeway. If I get it right, it's a great little rotation and on ramp blast...provided it's not chock full of traffic. (This was always great fun in my former Golf R, particularly when I got coded to fully turn off the ESC.)

The caveat is,while my exit speed onto the ramp in 3rd is way faster and throttle response much greater, (aka waaaay more fun than before) when I tried to upshift to 4th on the actual ramp, (in DS), the car shifted back into 3rd and held 3rd. I had to shift again and actually slow down for 4th to hold, which was odd. I won't be able to replicate the run again till Monday, and that also depends on traffic on the road/if I have the turn to myself or if I'm caught behind other cars; if so it's not happening. But that was a little weird, and didn't happen before.

Next update will be Tuesday, we're having a mini-heat wave here in San Diego and I'd rather run relatively hard under cooler weather conditions.

Last edited by ConnerryXDriv35; 03-14-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 x1 35i M
Following you on this thread

I may not have ended up where I intended to go,
but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be.
...Douglas Adams

BMW X1 3.5i M-Sports X-Drive
(Mineral Grey over Corel Red)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 PM
U Boat Commander

Week 1

Well this week got out of my hands quickly, schedule wise. Price of being a single dad for a week ( wife’s away on biz) of a rambunctious 3 year old while working full-time AND finishing up a grad school project; as such it left no room for updates.

But I digress; it’s now been over a week since Dinan Stage 2 was installed, and it’s really transformed the car for the better. I finally got to hit my run back home from dropping lil guy at daycare on a light traffic day, and the odd transmission issue that I mentioned in my previous post did not occur; blasted right up that on ramp with a run to 6k rpm through 3rd and 4th and found myself on the freeway in excess of…well, pretty damned fast.

I guess at this point, the best way to describe this tune is that it feels like the car lost a good 500-600 lbs…in a straight line, anyway. All the previous lag; off the line, the brief hesitation when you punch it in drive or when shifting with the paddles…all gone. Vastly improved throttle response. Everything is just smoother , more linear, and really damned quick.

Is it worth the $$? I certainly think so. I cannot compare to Burger or Jbox tunes because I have never driven a vehicle tuned in that regard and as such have no frame of reference. But for those familiar with the VAG tuning world, back then I had a world of options to choose from and I always went with APR, for 3 cars running; they weren’t the fastest, but they went the safer route even though tuners like REVO and GIAC had arguably more powerful tunes. But improving everyday drivability safely was then, and remains today my primary requirement out of a tune. I’m not gonna track it ( unless I can get out to The new West Coast Performance Center one of these days), and let’s be honest; unless I risk my license and the lives of others on the road, I’m likely never going to see the maximum performance out of this thing on the street anyways.

Ultimately I’d rather take the tune that does what I need and throws in a warranty to boot, which is really what you’re paying the extra scratch for with Dinan. And it’s doing a pretty damned good job of meeting my needs so far. I REALLY hate to throw out this hoary old cliché, but this is really how an M Sport car should have come from the factory.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnerryXDriv35 View Post
Well this week got out of my hands quickly, schedule wise. Price of being a single dad for a week ( wife’s away on biz) of a rambunctious 3 year old while working full-time AND finishing up a grad school project; as such it left no room for updates.

But I digress; it’s now been over a week since Dinan Stage 2 was installed, and it’s really transformed the car for the better. I finally got to hit my run back home from dropping lil guy at daycare on a light traffic day, and the odd transmission issue that I mentioned in my previous post did not occur; blasted right up that on ramp with a run to 6k rpm through 3rd and 4th and found myself on the freeway in excess of…well, pretty damned fast.

I guess at this point, the best way to describe this tune is that it feels like the car lost a good 500-600 lbs…in a straight line, anyway. All the previous lag; off the line, the brief hesitation when you punch it in drive or when shifting with the paddles…all gone. Vastly improved throttle response. Everything is just smoother , more linear, and really damned quick.

Is it worth the $$? I certainly think so. I cannot compare to Burger or Jbox tunes because I have never driven a vehicle tuned in that regard and as such have no frame of reference. But for those familiar with the VAG tuning world, back then I had a world of options to choose from and I always went with APR, for 3 cars running; they weren’t the fastest, but they went the safer route even though tuners like REVO and GIAC had arguably more powerful tunes. But improving everyday drivability safely was then, and remains today my primary requirement out of a tune. I’m not gonna track it ( unless I can get out to The new West Coast Performance Center one of these days), and let’s be honest; unless I risk my license and the lives of others on the road, I’m likely never going to see the maximum performance out of this thing on the street anyways.

Ultimately I’d rather take the tune that does what I need and throws in a warranty to boot, which is really what you’re paying the extra scratch for with Dinan. And it’s doing a pretty damned good job of meeting my needs so far. I REALLY hate to throw out this hoary old cliché, but this is really how an M Sport car should have come from the factory.
Sounds like a rough week. And I've got little kids so I know what that's like! Thanks a bunch for putting together the detailed write up, it's really informative for those of us on the sidelines considering this tune!

How does the car feel when slowing down? I've had cases where it downshifts quickly leading to a bit of judder instead of smooth coasting as I've seen with my other cars.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:54 AM
U Boat Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_monkey View Post
Sounds like a rough week. And I've got little kids so I know what that's like! Thanks a bunch for putting together the detailed write up, it's really informative for those of us on the sidelines considering this tune!

How does the car feel when slowing down? I've had cases where it downshifts quickly leading to a bit of judder instead of smooth coasting as I've seen with my other cars.
No downshift judder whatsoever; smoother across the board.

And you're welcome; that's exactly why I'm doing it. When I started researching the tune, I could hardly find anything that was A) detailed and b) didn't devolve into a useless battle over which tune was better/faster/whatever. So I plan to keep updating this over time. The next major update will be in a couple of weeks with the Alpina transmission program.

Last edited by ConnerryXDriv35; 03-22-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Still going well?

Considering the same tune on a 2014 X1 x35i.
Hows it holding up? Any issues?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcampo81 View Post
Considering the same tune on a 2014 X1 x35i.
Hows it holding up? Any issues?
Why not go with MHD? The major advantage of Dinan is to retain factory warranty, now that factory warranty is expired/almost expired, I don't see that being a major advantage for the price they charge.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search