18d timing chain maintenance - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x1
18d timing chain maintenance

I have a 01/2012 sdrive model and I've heard about timing chain problems. They tried to fix it with the second batch but apparently these still have problems. The car is now 55k km and it doesn't make any unusual sounds yet. Shoud I preventively replace the timing chain now, wait to do more km or wait until it would start to make rattling sound ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 03:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
I have a 01/2012 sdrive model and I've heard about timing chain problems. They tried to fix it with the second batch but apparently these still have problems. The car is now 55k km and it doesn't make any unusual sounds yet. Shoud I preventively replace the timing chain now, wait to do more km or wait until it would start to make rattling sound ?
Thanks
It's not the chain itself that fails, it's the chain guides (at least that's my understanding), which causes the chain to stretch. Replacing the chain itself won't do anything to prevent the failure. The chain should last several thousand kilometers.

My understanding is that the "preventative" replacement of the affected parts, when factoring in labour, isn't really worth doing.

If I'm wrong in any of this, I'm sure folks who know better than me will chime in

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 PM

Thanks.
I'll start by halving the oil change interval which is recommended regardless of the problem. Some say it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
I'll start by halving the oil change interval which is recommended regardless of the problem. Some say it helps.
I've also heard that keeping the intervals within spec (or earlier) is better. Also not rat-bagging your car will help. But, in the end, it may just be a roll of the dice as to whether yours fails or not. It's a known issue, but I don't think it's THAT common. Like I don't think your odds are 50/50 or anything nearly that grim.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i
rat bagging? what is that?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caswallan View Post
rat bagging? what is that?
Ratbagging
Used primarily in the motor sport world to describe the act of unnecessarily abusing of a piece machinery.

Can also be used to describe any type of destruction or recklessness when performing any given activity.
Don't buy that Camaro, Deaner. I saw Tron ratbagging on it pretty hard when he had it.

Let's get drunk as **** and go ratbagging

Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2013 X1, 1999 Z3
The preventative maintenance is simple. Change your oil.

it seems that most cases where the chain guides failed was people doing extended oil change intervals. Change your oil every 7500miles with 0W40LL01 and you will be golden.

Note 0W40 is the new recommendation for N20 turbo engines from BMW themselves. and LL-01 is still currently the best lubrication standard as reported on reliable oil analysis sites.

The percentage of chain guide failures are very low compared to the number of N20 engines on the road. Remember, BMW has stupid long oil change intervals. Get an oil analysis done and then remove a few thousand from their recommendation for a safety margin.

I'm at 7500 miles as that is a every 6 month oil change for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post

it seems that most cases where the chain guides failed was people doing extended oil change intervals. Change your oil every 7500miles with 0W40LL01 and you will be golden.

Note 0W40 is the new recommendation for N20 turbo engines from BMW themselves. and LL-01 is still currently the best lubrication standard as reported on reliable oil analysis sites.

The percentage of chain guide failures are very low compared to the number of N20 engines on the road. Remember, BMW has stupid long oil change intervals. Get an oil analysis done and then remove a few thousand from their recommendation for a safety margin.

Purely curious on your opinion here - What would you say for time intervals ? Over a 12 month period I'd probably accumulate ~6,000 miles. Given that low mileage accumulation, I've always done oil changes on my E90 at once per year (I don't care too much about the mileage and I don't really track it as it's lower than 5,000 miles on that particular car). I was planning the same for the E84.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:

OP should NOT be using LL-01 oil - he drives a diesel.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:46 AM

Thanks,
I did the bmw recommended oil change at the dealer with bmw (castrol then shell) oil ll04, and in my case I changed the oil every 2 years with 15k km until after 4 years I noticed the oil was black 1 year after the oil change, which is actually normal for diesels, and started to charge the oil every year with less than 10k km done per year. This year I've chosen the castrol professional 5w30 fst instead. Now the car has 55k km.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2013 X1, 1999 Z3
Which is why I mentioned the N20 for the oil specs, others may find this thread.

Oil change interval, depends on a lot of things which is why you should get an oil analysis done. as you can get a perfectly accurate for your car,your driving, and your living location recommendation for oil change intervals.

If a person drives very little you still need to change the oil. Water can get in the oil from humidity and condensation as well as combustion byproducts and fuel.

I have changed the oil on cars that sat a year and had a total of 4 miles put on them. But I lived where it is high humidity and had wide temperature swings. I have a friend that has a car in Airizona Desert that changes the oil every 5 years in his barely driven show car.

Personally with todays oils, a yearly oil change is a good idea if it's barely driven and in any place where humidity can cause condensation inside the motor.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Thanks
BMW has used at least three different Timing Chain Tensioner in their 4 cyl turbo engines. I am not intimately familiar with the engine in your 1.8d, but it should be a relatively simple job to change it. I changed mine (N20 motor) and posted a DIY.

Also, the warning sign/sound is not a "rattle" sound but rather a RPM dependent "whine" sound. There is a sound clip on the internet that BMW actually use to diagnose this issue.

Finally, have a look at this blog: https://bmwtechnician.com/about/ and search there for "Timing Chain." Lots of useful info there, incl. the infamous sound clip.

Last edited by DBU; 10-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
If a person drives very little you still need to change the oil. Water can get in the oil from humidity and condensation as well as combustion byproducts and fuel.

I have changed the oil on cars that sat a year and had a total of 4 miles put on them. But I lived where it is high humidity and had wide temperature swings. I have a friend that has a car in Airizona Desert that changes the oil every 5 years in his barely driven show car.

Personally with todays oils, a yearly oil change is a good idea if it's barely driven and in any place where humidity can cause condensation inside the motor.
This is kind of in-line with what I figured

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search