328i luxury vs sport line performance - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
No, if you read, he was specifically answering direct questions from namelessman.
And that question is directed at mod's sidetrack initiated from post#14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Are you derailing this thread with an unrelated line of discussion.
You might want to read the entire thread.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
And that question is directed at mod's sidetrack initiated from post#14.
How is my comment in that post a sidetrack? It was directly on topic about the N20.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
How is my comment in that post a sidetrack? It was directly on topic about the N20.
My interpretation of PK2348's post#24 is that the intent of this thread is to discuss 328i luxury versus 328i sport and both have the same N20 performance.

The mentioning of GTI versus 328i performance would seem to be a deviation from the thread title.

Nonetheless it is an interesting comparison between two different I4 turbos.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertrain77 View Post
Guys thankyou all for your input - I'm going to put it down to the luxury line just being a one off... I jumped into another 328i sport at my local dealer and it is the little rocket I fell in love with on the weekend...

I've decided to buy it - I just now need to work out how to get rid of the crayon smell - it's giving me head spins!!!
Congratulations!

My car is a little rocket. I can't believe how quickly you get full power. (According to the sport clusters )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM
///Member

Mein Auto: 2014 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ore_328I View Post
Congratulations!

My car is a little rocket. I can't believe how quickly you get full power. (According to the sport clusters )

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If you love the power now, just try adding the JB+ tuner. It makes an amazing difference at an affordable cost!

'14 Porsche 911 Turbo S, Jet Black Metallic, Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red, Sport Chrono

'14 BMW 335i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg - MPPK/MPE

'16 BMW X1 xDrive28i, Glacier Silver Metallic, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Luxury Pkg

RETIRED:
'13 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg

SOLD:
'10 328i xDrive, Jet Black

'07 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic
Old 10-30-2017, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive Wagon
Congrats! I drove a sport line (not M-Sport), 328 before getting my 328 wagon, which is luxury line. The sport line was pretty basic, not sure it really had any extras. While I realize the wagon is a little heavier, I think it feels a bit sportier. I contribute that to the 18" wheels and sport transmission (according to the VIN, sport + mode, etc.).

While two different cars, the wagon seems quieter and sportier feeling at the same time, though I realize the sedan is a bit quicker in reality.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My interpretation of PK2348's post#24 is that the intent of this thread is to discuss 328i luxury versus 328i sport and both have the same N20 performance.

The mentioning of GTI versus 328i performance would seem to be a deviation from the thread title.

Nonetheless it is an interesting comparison between two different I4 turbos.
Threads deviate from the OP's intention all of the time but my intention was not to derail the thread. I thought it was in the context of the thread at that time.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: f30 328xi sportline
Only difference in performance is with the sport line, the top speed is limited to 155mpg. Where as the luxury line is limited 130mph. All 328s are limited to 130, unless the car is equiped with z rated tires from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by bmw-Enthusiast; 11-03-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing at the moment...
Guys - I know it's a year and half later but I wanted to close out the topic which I started which may also help others...

After having the car for a couple months I found a few minor issues with it and took it back to the dealer under the 3 month used car warranty...

I brought up the issue around the power and they said they would have a look at it, when I came to pick it up they said the car was missing allot of software updates which includes the transmission, exhaust and engine (I'm not a mechanic forgive me for the terms) about a dozen things in total (this is not the upgrade you can do on the head unit from the w site).

Once upgraded it performed like the 2014 car I previously test drove - no need for sport mode as comfort mode was strong enough for daily driving and with sport mode only needed if I wanted to blast someone off the lights (not very often).

The manager mentioned some mechanics skip it as it takes time to just sit there downloading software rather than actually working on the car also some don't think it makes a difference but it is recommended especially for older models.

The exhaust is also louder, apparently it's opening up earlier and therefore louder - I thought there was something wrong with the exhaust at first as it's not a deeper louder, just the same sound made louder - may spend some coin to get a nicer sounding exhaust.

The crayon smell was a leaking gasket which was somehow letting burning oil fumes into the cabin - I knew I wasn't making it up!

So TL; DR; check your software versions at the dealership get it upgraded and take advantage of the real performance of your vehicle.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i RWD Convertible
Thanks for the update. I am also trying to decide on which F30 (or F32) to purchase, so this thread was very helpful and informative.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

2016 435i Individual - Citrin Black / Nutmeg Extended Merino Leather
Old 03-16-2019, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing at the moment...
I normally buy/drive Japanese cars so this was a leap of faith - the advice I was given is to get a warranty even if it is for a few months to resolve any issues you find as you drive away...

I would buy the newer model I think someone mentioned 2015+ as a few things have been upgraded otherwise they are a dream to drive!

I love the 328 because it is a wolf in sheep's clothes - has the same power as sports cars but doesn't look like a boy racer

(Edited by MS. I changed a derogatory term to Japanese. The term the poster used is not appropriate and will not be allowed here).

Last edited by Michael Schott; 03-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Quote:
I brought up the issue around the power and they said they would have a look at it, when I came to pick it up they said the car was missing allot of software updates which includes the transmission, exhaust and engine (I'm not a mechanic forgive me for the terms) about a dozen things in total (this is not the upgrade you can do on the head unit from the w site).

Once upgraded it performed like the 2014 car I previously test drove - no need for sport mode as comfort mode was strong enough for daily driving and with sport mode only needed if I wanted to blast someone off the lights (not very often).
Good to know! I should probably contact the dealer for a software update; I don't even know when my car was last updated. Wonder what I'm missing out on.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park distance control | Anti-theft alarm system
Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i RWD Convertible
Quote:
Threads deviate from the OP's intention all of the time but my intention was not to derail the thread. I thought it was in the context of the thread at that time.
I agree, Michael. Your comment was both informative and appropriately in the context of the discussion at that time. It was also a helpful comparison for someone, like myself, who is trying to learn more. Thanks!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

2016 435i Individual - Citrin Black / Nutmeg Extended Merino Leather
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
The N20 has a broader powerband, is stronger overall and smoother, especially at higher RPM. Itís not as fuel efficient. The GTI has a taller 6th gear (MT) and is lighter. I average about 30 mpg in mixed driving. I averaged about 25 in my 328i MT.
N20 is smoother at higher rpm, that is when you survive diesel like clattering at start, which is not present at EA888.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Guys - I know it's a year and half later but I wanted to close out the topic which I started which may also help others...

After having the car for a couple months I found a few minor issues with it and took it back to the dealer under the 3 month used car warranty...

The manager mentioned some mechanics skip it as it takes time to just sit there downloading software rather than actually working on the car also some don't think it makes a difference but it is recommended especially for older models.

The exhaust is also louder, apparently it's opening up earlier and therefore louder - I thought there was something wrong with the exhaust at first as it's not a deeper louder, just the same sound made louder - may spend some coin to get a nicer sounding exhaust.

The crayon smell was a leaking gasket which was somehow letting burning oil fumes into the cabin - I knew I wasn't making it up!

So TL; DR; check your software versions at the dealership get it upgraded and take advantage of the real performance of your vehicle.
Leaking gasket on BMW? Please

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search