2014 328d - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 328d xDrive Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
1) The issue with the transfer cases has been the output flange teeth wearing down/stripping. This is a metal part, no plastic at all. Stories I've heard have been that the heat treatment wasn't done correctly or spec'd well. Most of the failures are 2014 cars. Very few 2015+ recorded on the forums/my database.

3) I've had two injectors go so far in 32k miles. First one was under normal driving use, second one was after I started tracking the car.

Can you add yourself to the transfer case failure database posted a few posts above too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I had a 2014 328dX, traded in April with 62K miles (for a 540dX). I loved the car, but had issues:
(1) Transfer case failure (word is they have some cheap plastic part prone to failure)
(2) Drive shaft bearing failure (kinda like a u joint, but only came as a whole unit).
(3) Failure of 3 of 4 of the fuel injectors (CEL diagnoses to this) at separate times - wonder if I got some crappy fuel, be careful of this ... there are some threads on what to look for.

Two of the injectors were covered, others were ouch. I was getting nervous running without warranty, but stuck with BMW diesel for my new ride because I like them so much. My sense is the core engine is solid (that timing chain issue was news to me) but the fuel and exhaust systems have some challenges (perhaps associated with meeting emissions?) but Iím not sure.

I wish you many miles of trouble free cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Regarding your injector issue, did you feel slight miss-fire/stumbling during cold start up in colder or winter temps? This IS the only issue I'm having, no codes no CEL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
I didn't notice any difference in feel from the engine when mine started to go. Probably because it wasn't a total failure.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treacherouss1 View Post
Oh Man! thanks for that. You may have just saved me $1600. I don't use nav 99% of the time I a in the car. It's to go to work and home, maybe a roadtrip to FL now and then. I wanted to be able to use Carplay for my fiancee's iphone but I have a 2019 X6 as a loaner while BMW takes care of some things on the 328d, and carplay is ****ty. Not consistent at all. So, i may just try to add a bimmertech mmi instead as that seems much more stable. I would still be able to use Waze. Having to go through everything you did to get Carplay to function would only frustrate us into using my android or using the aux cable. Thanks for the details.
Yeah, I have a Pixel 2XL with Google FI and basically use it as a tablet / WiFi hotspot (their phone service does not really work all that well) and I run Waze on that and stream Spotify through my iDrive system over bluetooth.

To BMWs credit, I don't think that a lot of the problems are theirs. Apple has not been the best recently with their software. It seems that there is such a rush to match the feature set of Android, as well as add under the hood connectivity that things are not as solid as in the past. In fairness the feature set of the current gen iOS device is magnitudes larger than devices from just a few years ago, and software is really hard. They are also changing the way developers can access APIs. Luckily, they tend to keep compatibility in place for a very long time. I have the old VX-Works based iDrive (the new one is QNX) in my 2011 1M and last I checked, all of the connected stuff still works.

It seems that these connected systems in cars do nothing other than expand and get more complicated. BMW is also signaling their desire to see 'infotainment as a subscription' as a profit center. They have recently made CarPlay a time limited option, so if you want to keep using it, like their Connected Drive subscription, you will have to pay a monthly / annual fee to keep it working.

To this point the usability and reliability of the offerings of car manufacturers, combined with better solutions elsewhere has lead me down an interesting path when it comes to where I see my interests changing over the next few years. I find that I would rather have my technology in a package that is more economically upgraded and on a platform where I have the choice of the applications I want and I can choose how I want to interact with them. With the advent of voice assistants, all I want from a car is a bluetooth audio connection, and a good mounting point for my smartphone.

A few years ago, CarPlay was a huge factor when considering what car I might be interested in. After realizing that, other than Tesla, the majority of infotainment systems are frozen in time, given that, as well as one of my favorite cars to drive is my 1M, I think older cars seem a lot more appealing to me. I have been keeping my eye out for that perfect E46 M3, one particular thing I am looking for, is a car that was not optioned with iDrive.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
dce

Mein Auto: 540 dX
2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
Regarding your injector issue, did you feel slight miss-fire/stumbling during cold start up in colder or winter temps? This IS the only issue I'm having, no codes no CEL.

No, I could notice nothing different in engine operation, including no
Improvement after replacing, just the CEL indicator.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Yeah, I have a Pixel 2XL with Google FI and basically use it as a tablet / WiFi hotspot (their phone service does not really work all that well) and I run Waze on that and stream Spotify through my iDrive system over bluetooth.

To BMWs credit, I don't think that a lot of the problems are theirs. Apple has not been the best recently with their software. It seems that there is such a rush to match the feature set of Android, as well as add under the hood connectivity that things are not as solid as in the past. In fairness the feature set of the current gen iOS device is magnitudes larger than devices from just a few years ago, and software is really hard. They are also changing the way developers can access APIs. Luckily, they tend to keep compatibility in place for a very long time. I have the old VX-Works based iDrive (the new one is QNX) in my 2011 1M and last I checked, all of the connected stuff still works.

It seems that these connected systems in cars do nothing other than expand and get more complicated. BMW is also signaling their desire to see 'infotainment as a subscription' as a profit center. They have recently made CarPlay a time limited option, so if you want to keep using it, like their Connected Drive subscription, you will have to pay a monthly / annual fee to keep it working.

To this point the usability and reliability of the offerings of car manufacturers, combined with better solutions elsewhere has lead me down an interesting path when it comes to where I see my interests changing over the next few years. I find that I would rather have my technology in a package that is more economically upgraded and on a platform where I have the choice of the applications I want and I can choose how I want to interact with them. With the advent of voice assistants, all I want from a car is a bluetooth audio connection, and a good mounting point for my smartphone.

A few years ago, CarPlay was a huge factor when considering what car I might be interested in. After realizing that, other than Tesla, the majority of infotainment systems are frozen in time, given that, as well as one of my favorite cars to drive is my 1M, I think older cars seem a lot more appealing to me. I have been keeping my eye out for that perfect E46 M3, one particular thing I am looking for, is a car that was not optioned with iDrive.
I am still actively looking for an E46 M3. I'll even take a convertible at this point. I actively avoid newer cars with very integrated and deep infotainment systems. Where do you mount your phone? I struggle with having to use double sided tape on my dash. Thanks for the breakdown. That 1M must be very nice! Let me know when you are ready to let that bad boy go.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treacherouss1 View Post
I am still actively looking for an E46 M3. I'll even take a convertible at this point. I actively avoid newer cars with very integrated and deep infotainment systems. Where do you mount your phone? I struggle with having to use double sided tape on my dash. Thanks for the breakdown. That 1M must be very nice! Let me know when you are ready to let that bad boy go.
It will be hard to send a message when I am dead...

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
328d, high miles, mechanical problems

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search