430i convertible trunk dimensions.....HELP! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
430i convertible trunk dimensions.....HELP!

We'll soon be picking up a lovely 430i convertible in Munich and would really appreciate some help from someone who has one. I found a couple of previous threads that seemed very helpful but I'm still a bit insecure about it because I think my 2 suitcase choices will be a tight fit....that is, if they'll fit, at all. I have no BMW dealer near me but could go to one 'in a pinch'.

I would appreciate knowing the maximum height, width and depth of the trunk. The 2 suitcases are nearly the same size with the largest being 10.5 X 18.5 X 30. I'm guessing if they were both that size, they would fit.....barely. If not, now is the time to find out! (Naturally, I'm not concerned about the trunk dimensions with the top down.)

I'm thinking the 18.5 inch height might be the limiting factor but maybe they could be placed at a slight angle.

Solid dimensions and all advice would be much appreciated! My thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckycheese View Post
We'll soon be picking up a lovely 430i convertible in Munich and would really appreciate some help from someone who has one. I found a couple of previous threads that seemed very helpful but I'm still a bit insecure about it because I think my 2 suitcase choices will be a tight fit....that is, if they'll fit, at all. I have no BMW dealer near me but could go to one 'in a pinch'.

I would appreciate knowing the maximum height, width and depth of the trunk. The 2 suitcases are nearly the same size with the largest being 10.5 X 18.5 X 30. I'm guessing if they were both that size, they would fit.....barely. If not, now is the time to find out! (Naturally, I'm not concerned about the trunk dimensions with the top down.)

I'm thinking the 18.5 inch height might be the limiting factor but maybe they could be placed at a slight angle.

You'll have no trouble with the top up! With the top down, it might be a tight squeeze. If it is, put one of them on the back seat. What an idea!

Joe
Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Turbo Vert
Quote:

Here is a thread I put a bunch of pics of the trunk.... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24424069

Width:

Length:

Max height of bag in trunk:

Max recommended height (maybe with trunk down?)

Last edited by jtmat; 04-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 AM

It looks close!

Thanks for the information and for going to the trouble of sending me the helpful pictures! I'm certain the depth and width would not be an issue. I do think the height (floor of the trunk to the underside of the trunk lid could be the limiting factor. That distance would have to be 18.5 inches or very close to that (if the suitcases were tilted at a slight angle).

My Munich date is May 6th so I'll see what I can figure out between now and the time we leave. Once again, I appreciate your help!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Turbo Vert
Quote:
Thanks for the information and for going to the trouble of sending me the helpful pictures! I'm certain the depth and width would not be an issue. I do think the height (floor of the trunk to the underside of the trunk lid could be the limiting factor. That distance would have to be 18.5 inches or very close to that (if the suitcases were tilted at a slight angle).

My Munich date is May 6th so I'll see what I can figure out between now and the time we leave. Once again, I appreciate your help!
18.5 certainly won't work.... you are at 16 or 16 1/2.

But then, due to the mechanics of the top, would you really want to "stuff" it? I don't...

You can always put the rear seat down and put one bag in the trunk and one in the rear. Or do like I did and get a garment bag... they work great for week long trips. Great for putting the top down....
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Done!

No, I didn't plan on "stuffing" anything, which is kind of what this is about. It is good to know, definitively, that it isn't an option. We have a bunch of suitcases so we've now moved on, thanks to your help.

By the way, your car is beautiful!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM

OK......I'm back and thought I'd offer a little information with the hope that it will help someone in the future. We took 2 pieces of Samsonite Neopulse hard-side luggage. They both fit in the trunk with little room to spare except for side spaces where you could put a couple of soft bags if you wanted to. I laid the large one flat and the small on one one edge.....which is the only possible way to do it. The fit was 'snug' but not so tight that it was difficult to get them in and out; in fact, it was quite easy. Here are the dimensions (inches):

19.5 X 31 X 11

15 X 22.5 X 8.5

As you might imagine, if the smaller one had a dimension of 31, rather than 22.5, it would still work but that's about it. I think we were lucky because these sizes really are the limit. If you take something bigger, it will end up in the back seat.

Last edited by Chuckycheese; 05-25-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
OK......I'm back and thought I'd offer a little information with the hope that it will help someone in the future. We took 2 pieces of Samsonite Neopulse hard-side luggage. They both fit in the trunk with little room to spare except for side spaces where you could put a couple of soft bags if you wanted to. I laid the large one flat and the small on one one edge.....which is the only possible way to do it. The fit was 'snug' but not so tight that it was difficult to get them in and out; in fact, it was quite easy. Here are the dimensions (inches):

19.5 X 31 X 11

15 X 22.5 X 8.5

As you might imagine, if the smaller one had a dimension of 31, rather than 22.5, it would still work but that's about it. I think we were lucky because these sizes really are the limit. If you take something bigger, it will end up in the back seat.
You can also fold down the rear seat to extend the trunk. Iíve done that.

The 4-Series convertible is definitely very lacking in storage room. My Prius can hold a lot more, but youíve got to give up something to get a hard-top convertible, and trunk space is one of those things.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search