DIY - Phone Cradle Removal - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
I really don't think age has anything to do with whether it's a remotely good idea to blindly cut wiring harnesses due to willful complacency... Plenty of folks well above age 50 doing far more complex & arduous repairs & restorations on project cars, for fun & enjoyment... I know plenty of these folks, as they're retired former colleagues & mentors, some with legit debilitating diseases & illnesses that significantly limit mobility & strength...

The 1st time I removed the cradle, without any sort of guide or instruction, it was pretty damn obvious that the board you were tugging on was being caught up by the passenger side footwell underpanel, that takes 3 torx screws to remove (the same torx size that is required to remove the bolt holding the board you were tugging on for 40 minutes.)... This panel needs to be removed to replace the recirculation cabin filtration elements, where it's quite easy to remove with no other effort than conscious thought to do so...

You got lucky, many don't... My comment was to explain why this is such a very bad idea, where one should not take the risk, ever, regardless of whether it "worked" for someone else...

Last edited by SPL15; 06-13-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i
Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 View Post
I really don't think age has anything to do with whether it's a remotely good idea to blindly cut wiring harnesses due to willful complacency... Plenty of folks well above age 50 doing far more complex & arduous repairs & restorations on project cars, for fun & enjoyment... I know plenty of these folks, as they're retired former colleagues & mentors, some with legit debilitating diseases & illnesses that significantly limit mobility & strength...

The 1st time I removed the cradle, without any sort of guide or instruction, it was pretty damn obvious that the board you were tugging on was being caught up by the passenger side footwell underpanel, that takes 3 torx screws to remove (the same torx size that is required to remove the bolt holding the board you were tugging on for 40 minutes.)... This panel needs to be removed to replace the recirculation cabin filtration elements, where it's quite easy to remove with no other effort than conscious thought to do so...

You got lucky, many don't... My comment was to explain why this is such a very bad idea, where one should not take the risk, ever, regardless of whether it "worked" for someone else...
As promised, at this juncture (If your model had a console USB port) it will not function anymore. It doesn't matter if you removed the hardness the hard way or cut the cable. But I suspect most car owners don't use this port. Everdently it is part embedded of the wireharness. not having the dexterity of other owners, I cat the cable with dikes. If you are able to do the aforementioned removal. Best to you all.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Both of my USB ports work just fine after removing the phone cradle harness the proper way... I use it every day...

Not only do my USB ports work, so do everyone else's that removed the harness the proper way...

The center console USB is connected to a USB hub that also provides USB connection to the phone cradle...
Cutting the cable must have shorted the hub, as I suggested was a possible negative outcome of doing this... Two folks cut cables, one has major issues, you only lost USB connectivity...

The glove box USB is a direct connection to the COMBOX, this one should still work assuming the COMBOX is not damaged from having random wires shorted out...
Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 View Post
Both of my USB ports work just fine after removing the phone cradle harness the proper way... I use it every day...

Not only do my USB ports work, so do everyone else's that removed the harness the proper way...

+1 . Use them everyday as well..

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 AM
The Quiet One

Mein Auto: F13, E70, S4
My 650i has a cradle that now holds my wireless charging pad. Had to do a little fitment work using black rubber sheets and Velcro. Can't see it under the charging pad. Now my wireless charging cradle looks and works great.

Fahren in seiner schonsten form

The stable:
2013 X5 LCI 35i xDrive Jet Black/Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 650i xDrive - Exec. & M Sport Packages - Alpine White/Napa Black - The Prince
1987 Porsche 928 S4 - Indischrot/Silbergrau\Schwarz - My Old Friend
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
My 650i has a cradle that now holds my wireless charging pad. Had to do a little fitment work using black rubber sheets and Velcro. Can't see it under the charging pad. Now my wireless charging cradle looks and works great.
I'd like to see a pic of that!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d
I found this video for the 2014+ F15 cradle removal. Apart from the fan, would the wire connections be similar in our E70, so that you can unplug them without having to remove side trim pieces? I know our "blank" piece is a different part number and smaller in size. Also, would we also use the T-25 bit to unscrew everything? Have not seen this mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Markus View Post
I found this video for the 2014+ F15 cradle removal. Apart from the fan, would the wire connections be similar in our E70, so that you can unplug them without having to remove side trim pieces? I know our "blank" piece is a different part number and smaller in size. Also, would we also use the T-25 bit to unscrew everything? Have not seen this mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!
The wires on the E70 run down to the side of the passenger, much longer than the ones in the video. Which is also why people just cut them. I have ten thumbs, it wasn't that hard to remove it the right way. The hardest part was trying to carefully remove the side trim without breaking it with my brute force since i was unaware of HOW the panels were held on.

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 06-25-2019, 11:02 PM
The Quiet One

Mein Auto: F13, E70, S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
I'd like to see a pic of that!
The little brown felt furniture pad sticky (2) were cut and strategically placed. If you notice the phone is on an angle with the top corner tucked into the Ďdivití. The brown felt pad keeps it from shifting off dead center charging while driving.

In my X5 I bought a console tray from Amazon which is really helpful in general. For the wireless charger it makes it much easier and cleaner. I used the same Choetech charger as in the 650. Drilled a hole at aft end. Placed a grommet to keep it looking clean, and velcroed the charger to the consoleís rubber pad. I use a small piece of two sided tape on the charger to keep the phone from sliding off. Itís been there a while and is just a sticky surface to keep it from sliding. If I need to get to storage under tray I easily lift it up from the fore end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C924446F-1907-4BC3-9CF7-DA87BE473673.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	856027   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F665F96-FB9D-4618-8B1B-6CC4951D684A.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	856029  

Fahren in seiner schonsten form

The stable:
2013 X5 LCI 35i xDrive Jet Black/Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 650i xDrive - Exec. & M Sport Packages - Alpine White/Napa Black - The Prince
1987 Porsche 928 S4 - Indischrot/Silbergrau\Schwarz - My Old Friend

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search