Red Triangle Help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Red Triangle Help

Back again! Got the red triangle with exclamation point Friday. My service info on the combi is highlighted in red. I don't know if there is an issue or I might have done something. On Friday it was blazing hot here in NY so I wanted to check my coolant level. I held the odometer button down for 10 seconds to get into the sub menu. At one point, I got to the service menu and I think I saw an exclamation point for my front brakes.they arent red, just the normal amber color. Idiot that I am, I tried to reset it. I had my front brakes done on Wednesday. Now the triangle wasnt there when I got my car back from the shop. Is this just coincidence or did I do something by accident that would make the service info go red? I don't haven INPA installed, do I have to take it to the shop to find out what's wrong? Your input is always appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Maybe they damaged or didn't replace the front wear sensor properly.
Most online brake kits from the usual BMW parts sources come
with a new brake wear sensor.
If that is when it happened that is what I would look at first.
Was this a BMW shop or just some random mechanic .

Take it back if you are not taking it to idiots.

Last edited by ctuna; 07-21-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Well it's not a dealership, but they have been doing work on Bimmers for years. If that was the case, wouldnt the sensor tripped the combi light right away? I thought since it was under service info it was something that was scheduled. I'll let the shop know tomrrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 11:13 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Is your e-brake indicator light on, on the dash, permanently ? (top left hand red circle with the exclamation mark)

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:23 AM

No. Just in the combi area ,not the exclamation point in the upper left hand corner.I just went to look again. Now the service indicator ,when cycled through it always had May of 2019 as a date,yet it was never red.until Friday. I just changed the date to December of this year. Now the Triangle is gone, but I still have an Amber exclamation over the front of the car. Was the shop supposed to reset it when they did my brakes last week?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon

Did you try resetting the brake service function.
It's time for you to get some diagnostics.

Last edited by ctuna; 07-21-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:04 PM

That's what I thought I was doing.i think the mistake was that I went via the wrong menu. I held down the Odometer for 10 seconds and went from there. I'll look at the video..thank
Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmis View Post
No. Just in the combi area ,not the exclamation point in the upper left hand corner.I just went to look again. Now the service indicator ,when cycled through it always had May of 2019 as a date,yet it was never red.until Friday. I just changed the date to December of this year. Now the Triangle is gone, but I still have an Amber exclamation over the front of the car. Was the shop supposed to reset it when they did my brakes last week?
OK, if you don't have the "e-brake" alert symbol, then your brake pad wear sensor should be fine. When mine failed (the wiring got damaged, likely from road debris), I got the e-brake on symbol as well as the exclamation mark in the LCD.

If resetting the brake CBS doesn't resolve the issue, please take a video of an ignition cycle so we can see exactly what's happening.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Thanks, you mean a video of the idot lights when it starts,or cycle through them with the BC button?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
A Red Triangle with Exclamation inside it ...There should be a CCID code which displays, check if it says "55':
  • "Service due. Unable to inform your BMW Service automatically. Contact your BMW Service."

Last edited by wilt; 07-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

The red triangle is gone. But when I cycle through the service info I get the front brake symbol. Only in the service menu. I'm just going to take it to the shop tomorrow night and have the guy reset it.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
...Got the red triangle with exclamation point Friday...I had my front brakes done on Wednesday. Now the triangle wasnt there when I got my car back from the shop. Is this just coincidence or did I do something by accident that would make the service info go red? I don't haven INPA installed, do I have to take it to the shop to find out what's wrong?
Guess WHAT??? BMW did NOT want people who paid ~ $50k for their cars to know how to reset the CBS Service Requirements on their own. They wanted them to keep their licensed Dealers in Busine$$. So they did NOT tell the Owners how to Reset the Service Requirements -- just that they needed to go to the Dealer. See the Index of your Owner's Manual, CBS Condition Based Service, and Service Requirements. So does that mean you need INPA to reset CBS settings? NO!!!

See Bentley Service Manual, page 020-10, or page 81 of the pdf version. If you don't have the Bentley Manual, you can download the searchable pdf format version here:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php

For those who would choose to learn what References or sources of information exist, such as Bentley or TIS, see the attached pdf, "E9x References. For those who are in too big a hurry to spend time/money going to the Dealer, just read below, quoted from Bentley at page cited above (procedure for CIC is ALSO in Bentley):
Resetting service requirements
When one or more service operations are carried out (example:
front brake pads are changed) reset these operations to their full
service interval.
Vehicle without iDrive: Reset service requirements in instrument
cluster as follows:
Close all doors. Switch ignition ON.
Make sure lower displays in cluster show clock and mileage.
Press and hold trip odometer reset button for about 5 seconds until
CBS icons begin to display in cluster. Release button.
Press turn signal lever BC button (arrow) repeatedly to scroll
through CBS icons.
For each icon the word RESET? is displayed. To reset a particular
item, press and hold BC button. A small analog clock icon is
displayed. When complete, the chosen CBS item is reset.
To insure that the reset was done, press BC button while looking at
CBS reset icon. Acknowledgment of reset is shown with a check
mark in a box.
George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 07-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 AM

Your the Man George! Thank you! (And thanks to all that offered info) .After watching quite a few videos on YouTube, I finally am now able to understand the proper process step by step how to get in there! Many of the videos explain how to do it,but they rarely show exactly which button on the arm, how long they hold the odometer ,BC or up/down switch while they explain the process. That and the fact that many have heavy accents which even with closed captions I couldn't understand what they are saying. You saved me a trip to the shop. Now I assume it will reset to a number of miles at which it will engage again,or if the pads wear thin, whatever comes first, right?
I'll give it a go later this morning.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
...Now I assume it will reset to a number of miles at which it will engage again,or if the pads wear thin, whatever comes first, right?
I'll give it a go later this morning.
Be aware that if you take more than about 5 seconds between steps, such as between steps 3 & 4 (3rd bullet & 4th bullet) the "Reset System" MAY revert back to normal Instrument Cluster display (at which point you have to start over with pressing Odometer Reset). So read the procedure and do a "dry run" without actually pressing any buttons, so you know what to do next without having to take the time to read & understand "next step."

It's simple once you've done it successfully, but like anything new, you have to experience it to fully understand it, no matter how clear the explanation is.

Problem with MANY videos is that the person doing the video is NOT a good teacher in the sense he has NOT thought through how to show & explain each step, slowly & clearly, in a way someone who has never done the procedure before can understand, and we ALL have different ways of learning something new.

The way that works for me is to understand physically what button is to be pressed, how, & WHY in the first step; then same thing for succeeding steps; it also helps to know how the system works (why you do something) so that each step and the order in which it is done is filed away in your "concept memory" so that it can be easily recalled and repeated. Best thing a video can show you is what the screen is supposed to look like in each step, as that is hard to describe verbally.

Videos are good for things like seeing what the hidden side of a door panel looks like, so that you can remove it even though you can't see behind it. For something that you can see and take your time with, a written "step-by-step" is easier for me to follow, both to Dis-assemble and to Re-assemble (written checklist). Photos/ diagrams to identify the parts referred to in the text are also helpful, and both Bentley & TIS have those.

I realize that "Manuals" are "Old-school" and many these days are only used to YouTube. For those who aren't sure the old-school approach is valid anymore, I leave you with ONE thought: WHO do you trust to provide better information about your BMW: (1) the guys who produced "TIS" (which largely was the basis for Bentley Manual), OR (2) some guy on the Web about whom you know (virtually) NOTHING?

George
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks. You know, I did it this morning. Got the word RESET with the question mark and depressed the BC button.after a few seconds it seemed to reset, yet when I wennt back into the menu to confirm, the icon of the exclamation point was still sitting above my hood! The mileage is at 12,000 miles.(I think I was successful when I tried to reset on Friday because the mileage reset to 12,000) but being that I still have the icon, does that mean I have additional brake issues? No code came up either. I'm confused.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search