Transmission Change - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-20-2016, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Transmission Change

Hey all,

My transmission recently failed on me so I purchased another one and had it fitted. Does anyone know whether the EGS (Transmission Ecu) should also be replaced if the transmission was from another year?

Mine is a 97 and the transmission I purchased is from a 2000 model, the seller assured me it was working perfectly when pulled from the car but after it was installed in my car I am getting the following:

- Very harsh jerk when shifting into Drive or Reverse from Park or Netural.
- Revs lifting and falling when sitting at constant speed (50km/h, etc.)
- Hard downshift from 2nd to 1st.

The fluid is up to the correct level and has been checked three times now. It was filled up at the correct temp range.

The filter has not been changed yet but my mechanic doesn't seem to think a filter would cause those issues. Bearing in mind, apparently the donor car sat for quite awhile before the transmission was removed and fitted into mine.

My mechanic seems to think it is an issue with their being too much pressure in the transmission (he is going to swap out/test solenoids).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Dude they didn't change the filter? They were right there working on it. SMH. Have him change it when he does the solenoids.

As for the computer I think you'll need to code the transmission, so you'll need to take it to a bmw indy or dealership. Even if you get the trans ecu you'll still need to code it.

The harsh jerk when shooting from park to drive sounds like a bad guibo(the flex joint that connects between the driveshaft and tranny. Inspect it for any cracks.

And as for the irregular shifting, are you getting any codes/lights on the dash? If so have them read first before you do anything as these should pinpoint the problem.

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

If you live near me and need help reading codes give me a buzz.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Hey Barracuz, thanks for your reply.

I don't know why he didn't change the filter. It's something I definitely would have done. Maybe because he wanted to see how the trans went before adding to costs of labour/materials to do it. It is at the shop now where he is changing out the filter.

There are no codes at all with the new transmission. He has scanned it and I have scanned it also multiple times (I have the cable with INPA, etc). I have also reset the adaptations through INPA.

Do you know how the transmission is coded? Apart from the EGS I didn't think the transmission would make a difference as essentially it should do the same job but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how a new trans is coded/programmed.

The guibo is ok and the car never did this with the original transmission.

Thanks for your help

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
540i, automatic, e39, e39 540i, egs, gearbox, transmission

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search