Bad press on run flats? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Ford Mustang
Bad press on run flats?

Hi,

I have a 2015 428i where run flats came standard. Reading all the bad press, I was dreading the day I'd run over a nail. Well it happened last Friday, and I must say I'm very thankful I had run flats. I ended up driving the car for 4 days (which included at least an hour at 80mph on the freeway). I only realized I had a nail because I noticed a "thwap-thawp" sound coming from one of the tires at low speed.

The local tire store ended up finding out that I had actually 3 nails, and all had punctured all the way through! The repair was free too (America's Tire, not sure how much it costs at other places, I wouldn't think more than $50). Now I know run flats are noisier and hurt ride quality, but honestly after this experience that's definitely a trade-off I'd be willing to take. I'm pretty sure I got the nail around the airport where I flew in around midnight. If it wasn't for run flats, I could've been stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night after a 12 hour flight in a seedy neighborhood. I'm sure those with families and young kids can appreciate this even more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Sounds like you were not loosing air from your tires, so having run flats didn't make a difference. If you had lost air, your TPMS would have alerted you. The RFTs come into play after you have lost air. Non-RFTs go flat and you need to stop driving on them. RFTs go flat, but don't look like it because the side walls are stiffer and don't let the tire collapse and you can keep driving on them (with restrictions). Sounds like you would have had the same experience with or without RFT.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaddict View Post
Hi,

I have a 2015 428i where run flats came standard. Reading all the bad press, I was dreading the day I'd run over a nail. Well it happened last Friday, and I must say I'm very thankful I had run flats. I ended up driving the car for 4 days (which included at least an hour at 80mph on the freeway). I only realized I had a nail because I noticed a "thwap-thawp" sound coming from one of the tires at low speed.

The local tire store ended up finding out that I had actually 3 nails, and all had punctured all the way through! The repair was free too (America's Tire, not sure how much it costs at other places, I wouldn't think more than $50). Now I know run flats are noisier and hurt ride quality, but honestly after this experience that's definitely a trade-off I'd be willing to take. I'm pretty sure I got the nail around the airport where I flew in around midnight. If it wasn't for run flats, I could've been stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night after a 12 hour flight in a seedy neighborhood. I'm sure those with families and young kids can appreciate this even more!
Maybe you "could have" been stranded, except for the fact that you don't indicate that you lost pressure in the tire, in which case, the run flats didn't actually do anything for you that a normal tire would have. The run flats provide a benefit when you lose pressure...no need to stop on the side of a freeway, in the dark, etc, etc, and change a tire or wait for roadside assist.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
I have been told by many places that they will not repair run-flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Huh? You are telling me that America's Tire (e.g. Discount Tire) repaired three punctures on a single run flat tire? That goes against every tire manufacturer, U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA), Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), and even America's Tire own policy and guidelines.

BFGoodrich: 1 repair
Bridgestone: 1 repair only if 15 psi maintained
Continental: does not recommend
Dunlop: 1 repair
Firestone: 1 repair only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear: 1 repair
Kumho: 1 repair
Michelin: 1 repair
Pirelli: does not recommend
Yokohama: does not recommend

If you didn't have runflats you would have had something else to compensate would you not (e.g. spare, donut, sealing kit, AAA)?

As someone mentioned, if you did not experience pressure loss, your run flats did not perform any differently than a non-run flat tire.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 428i Xdrive GC
I ran over a 3" by .25" metal rod on Thursday with my non-run flat summer tires. Didn't figure it out till I tried to go to work on Friday and it was totally flat. Got my slime kit out, slimed the tire, went to work, then got it plugged at Midas. Held air great with sealant. I kept the run flats so I could put them on at any time, but the performance sucks, worst case I was thinking I might have to put them back on while I find new performance tires for treadwear, but nope.

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 07-17-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Maybe you "could have" been stranded, except for the fact that you don't indicate that you lost pressure in the tire, in which case, the run flats didn't actually do anything for you that a normal tire would have. The run flats provide a benefit when you lose pressure...no need to stop on the side of a freeway, in the dark, etc, etc, and change a tire or wait for roadside assist.
Except that if you drive on the run flat while it's flat, it'll get you somewhere, but you destroy the tire sidewall in the process and it has to be replaced, which if the treadwear is uneven can be a huge cost, especially for AWD.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Not another RFT thread...!!
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170718_135327.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	622537  
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
Huh? You are telling me that America's Tire (e.g. Discount Tire) repaired three punctures on a single run flat tire? That goes against every tire manufacturer, U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA), Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), and even America's Tire own policy and guidelines.

If you didn't have runflats you would have had something else to compensate would you not (e.g. spare, donut, sealing kit, AAA)?

As someone mentioned, if you did not experience pressure loss, your run flats did not perform any differently than a non-run flat tire.
Yeah, that's what the service tech told me (I asked him twice since I also didn't quite believe it), although I don't believe he was the actual one doing the repair, so he may not have been right. He did show me one of the nails and it definitely looked long enough to puncture all the way through.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Yeah, now thinking about it I realize you guys are right. I hadn't lost pressure (or a significant amount at least) because my low pressure indicators did not go off.

Although I was very happy that the run flats could be repaired so easily. This was not something I was expecting based on what I'd read online.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Just spoke with someone at Americs's Tires and they recently received "permission" from Pirelli to do a one time repair on their run-flats

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Just spoke with someone at Americs's Tires and they recently received "permission" from Pirelli to do a one time repair on their run-flats
whatever that means. Pirelli legal in black and white
"PIRELLI TIRE DOES NOT ENDORSE:
1) The use of tire sealants in Pirelli tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture;
2) The repairing of V, W, Y or Z Speed Rated tires;
3) The repairing of Run Flat tires."

Sounds like goofy stuff going on at America's Tires.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, now thinking about it I realize you guys are right. I hadn't lost pressure (or a significant amount at least) because my low pressure indicators did not go off.

Although I was very happy that the run flats could be repaired so easily. This was not something I was expecting based on what I'd read online.
it's not rocket science; however, if the shop repaired three nail holes on a runflat tire, I would not be happy at all. Again, if a manufacturer allows for a runflat repair it limited to one only. I would question what kind of repair that shop actually did or didn't do and if they did it properly or not.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
1) The use of tire sealants in Pirelli tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture;

Well, I just violated two of those last week on my P-zeros at Midas...
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:

Does not "endorse"? What does that mean? It certainly isn't an outright prohibition. So it's in black and white, but it's clear as mud.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 07-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Let's hope they're right (and I believe they are) or else you're driving on a tire which likely suffered damage resulting from continued operation for four days and up to 80 MPH with a loss of air pressure.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Except that if you drive on the run flat while it's flat, it'll get you somewhere, but you destroy the tire sidewall in the process and it has to be replaced, which if the treadwear is uneven can be a huge cost, especially for AWD.
IMO if the tread depth of the remaining tires is sufficiently low enough to be of concern I would replace all four tires anyway. While they technically may not be at the end of their service life they're sufficiently worn where I would consider replacing them anyway.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:21 PM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
So the nails may or may not all have actually punctured the tire but either way the tire did not leak. Did they charge you just to pull a few short nails out of the tread.

Are you sure they are run flats.

2017 440i xDrive M Sport Convertible - European Delivery March 2017 - Glacier Silver - Black - Ash Grain - M Sport Brakes - 442M 19s Orbit Grey - Variable Sport Steering -
Adaptive M Suspension - Driving Assistance Package - Technology Package - Top / Side View Cameras - JB+
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Does not "endorse"? What does that mean? It certainly isn't an outright prohibition. So it's in black and white, but it's clear as mud.
There's further statements to refer to RMA and USTMA guidelines, as well as the tire shops referring to all three. It's a point the finger to whoever does the repair for liability. But I will say, that every tire shop I've gone to for national chains in my area have been extremely rigid on what they will or won't repair based on RMA, USTMA, and manufacturer recommendation. So, I'm pretty surprised that there are shops, local, regional, or national chain, which would assume the liability. Especially with run-flats, which should always, always, be removed and inspected at the very least if there was any air loss due to puncture.

Last edited by imtjm; 07-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 428iGC
i am so done with RFT's. the ride quality is horrible, feels like my car is going to break whenever i go over a bump or pot hole. i am so happy with my michelin pilot super sport's. i do carry a bmw tire mobility kit now.
BMWCCA #494914

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search