Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Page 9 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post
That sounds promising
The electronics engineer is going to analyze the pictures of the MMIF and the CD. So hopefully he's able to help in some way.

Last edited by vibbelito; 07-18-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
The electronics engineer is going to analyze the pictures of the MMIF and the CD. So hopefully he's able to help in some way.
Thanks
Maybe in between it is possible to include also the signal splitting issue

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
Thanks

That be great id love to have a cheaper way of splitting the lvds than the original splitter

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks

A splitter could maybe be included in it but I think it will be much easier and cheaper to just split the hdmi signal after the conversion. There are many redaly available tiny hdmi splitters for cheap.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
A splitter could maybe be included in it but I think it will be much easier and cheaper to just split the hdmi signal after the conversion. There are many redaly available tiny hdmi splitters for cheap.

Thanks,
You are right, but anyway, in order to maintain center armrest rear screen with its LVDS signal from the rear MMIF You should split the LVDS signal before it is converted into the HDMI signal for the common use tablets/monitors.
So, to my mind there should be both a HDMI splitter, and LVDS splitter as well. My understanding is based that OEM slitter splits the LVDS signal from one to three outputs, because all the OEM screens can accept the LVDS signal. The centre armrest rear screen, and two backrest rear screens.
Although this is my assumption because I haven't seen the splitter and haven't seen any wiring diagrams of this individual equipment. Probably, I am not right.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
That be great id love to have a cheaper way of splitting the lvds than the original splitter

I found this thread on the Ti forum about splitting this lvds signal.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/f/138/t/336955

Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks,
You are right, but anyway, in order to maintain center armrest rear screen with its LVDS signal from the rear MMIF You should split the LVDS signal before it is converted into the HDMI signal for the common use tablets/monitors.
So, to my mind there should be both a HDMI splitter, and LVDS splitter as well. My understanding is based that OEM slitter splits the LVDS signal from one to three outputs, because all the OEM screens can accept the LVDS signal. The centre armrest rear screen, and two backrest rear screens.
Although this is my assumption because I haven't seen the splitter and haven't seen any wiring diagrams of this individual equipment. Probably, I am not right.

You are right, there should be an lvds splitter for those that want to have all 3 screens. Me personally would most likely remove the center screen and only have the 2 backrest monitors.

Anyway this is the OEM splitter and I think it only has 2 outputs.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
You are right, there should be an lvds splitter for those that want to have all 3 screens. Me personally would most likely remove the center screen and only have the 2 backrest monitors.

Anyway this is the OEM splitter and I think it only has 2 outputs.

Yes, seems like that. Although we cannot see the sockets really. Hiwever the diagrams/simbols in the stickers show rather clearly socket nukber, coding and coloring...
Then whether the stock solution is either having the 2 backrest monitors or one centre armrest rear monitor, without mixing with each other, so that there are no 3 screens - just one centre, or two on each of the backrests.
Otherwise, there is another solution how BMW spkits the signals

Old 07-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Well I suppose you could use 2 of these splitters to get 3 signals or just go the getho way and do a Y or T split of the cable. Only thing is that you will lose some signal strength and about 33% reflection and the impedance will also get lower

Anyway Irish745 should have one of these splitters in his individual 760.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Well I suppose you could use 2 of these splitters to get 3 signals or just go the getho way and do a Y or T split of the cable. Only thing is that you will lose some signal strength and about 33% reflection and the impedance will also get lower

Anyway Irish745 should have one of these splitters in his individual 760.

I just looked innto RTK and saw thet the OEM splitter is only 1 in quantity.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
The rear original mmigt is split into 2 signals that feed the rear headrest monitors which are actually 6.5" screens the same as whats on the rear fond screen .and the original rear foldup screen is removed by individual when new thwyre are no cars with 3 screens .even on my vin and other vins its documented about the rear screen been removed the real problem with the backrest monitors is u can only have 2 people in the car cause the idrive to control them is in the armrest and needs to be folded down .thats y id like to fit 2 android touch screens there running the bmw ui off the original lvds signal

Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The rear original mmigt is split into 2 signals that feed the rear headrest monitors which are actually 6.5" screens the same as whats on the rear fond screen .and the original rear foldup screen is removed by individual when new thwyre are no cars with 3 screens .even on my vin and other vins its documented about the rear screen been removed the real problem with the backrest monitors is u can only have 2 people in the car cause the idrive to control them is in the armrest and needs to be folded down .thats y id like to fit 2 android touch screens there running the bmw ui off the original lvds signal

Thanks. Clear

Old 07-18-2019, 08:24 AM

I wonder why the 7 didn't get the same treatment as the RR1 in regards to the individual rear entertainment. In the RR the MMIF have 2 LVDS outputs instead of using a splitter like the E65. This means that in the RR you can actually control the two 6.5" screens individually from one another

Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I wonder why the 7 didn't get the same treatment as the RR1 in regards to the individual rear entertainment. In the RR the MMIF have 2 LVDS outputs instead of using a splitter like the E65. This means that in the RR you can actually control the two 6.5" screens individually from one another

Probably because it is RR, and there is not an option with only one screen in the middle only.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 AM

I've just completed the first experimental update file for the MMI. Where I have done something as simple as changed the text where is says AUX to display BT instead.
I have a bluetooth adapter in my car connected to the aux port so I thought this would make for a good first experiment if it's even possible at all to modify the MMI software by ourselves.

I will try to flash it to my experimental MMI on Sunday evening when I get back from my hiking trip. Right now I just hope that I won't brick it hehe.

I have done many steps of conversion over several months to get her so there's a good chance that I have screwed something up on the way.

.0pa (intelHex) ---> .bin ---> stripped unnecessary bits ---> Zlib unzipped ---> changed AUX to BT ---> Zlib zipped ---> .0pa

If this method works I'm going to do some modifications and a translation to other language to start with before I try to add AV input

Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 AM

Found this for a 2008 RR1. Some Interesting stuff.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Found this for a 2008 RR1. Some Interesting stuff.

Does it mean that RR MMIF has two LVDS outputs?
Should be rather expensive I guess

Old 07-22-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Does it mean that RR MMIF has two LVDS outputs?
Should be rather expensive I guess

At least this version seems to have one output from the MMIF fed to a lvds splitter combined with a switch, av input and scaler if I understand these documents right

Old 07-26-2019, 01:58 PM

I tried my costume file today but as soon as I loaded it in winkfp it gave me a conversion error/ read error. So winkfp was not able to convert my 0pa file to binary.

It gave me error on line 4183 which is an address line that tells winkfp to flash to address 7. Weirdly enough it doesn't give any error on line 80 where winkfp is told to flash on address 6 (the start of the program section)

So I will have to investigate why this happens. Until then this is a no go..

Old 08-19-2019, 08:18 AM

I got a stupidly simple ingenious idea on how to solve the video output problem after reading this thread about a video interface for the E60 https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...-system-11220/

In which he sets up an ipod within a enclosed box and points a CCD camera on the screen and feeds the output from the camera to his video input in order to see what he's playing and controll it.

This sparked the idea of doing the same thing with the rear monitor. Extending the wiering to the luggage compartment and installing the monitor within an enclosure (box) with a camera pointed at the screen with a video output fed back to what ever headrest monitors you want. So simple that it might even work. a hell of a lot simpler than building some lvds converter at least.

Edit: Of course this would not yield the best quality but it would get the job done of not loosing the ability to control the original functions. I have found it hard to find any ccd camera that's not a backup camera with fisheye lens...

But if this is combined with a separate input for the rgb signals from gps, tv, dvd I'd say it would work pretty well.
(All this assuming you want to completely remove the center screen between the seats)

Last edited by vibbelito; 08-19-2019 at 10:12 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search