HELP! Stranded,,,X1 won't start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
HELP! Stranded,,,X1 won't start

Wonder if anyone has experienced the following and can provide some insight. The other night passed a car driving at a snail's pace and hammered my throttle to get by the vehicle and my guess is I hit the rev limiter. After passing the car, I lost all throttle response and there was no response from the throttle (gas pedal). Basically I coasted to side of road. Anyway, car would not start and eventually battery I believe was almost dead as I was getting weird lights flashing when I tried to start. Waited 3 hours for tow, finally getting home at 3 AM.

Anyone have any insight in what happened? Appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Mmmmmmmm, AFAIK, hitting the rev limiter (you must have a manual transmission) shouldn't cause a total loss of power and an inability to start. Let us know what happens this morning ? Does the car start up ?

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Appreciate your responding. Actually, it is not a manual, rather the 8 speed auto. I am not 100% sure I hit the rev limiter but I know the high speed warning would have gone off but unfortunately after sitting on road for 3 hours, battery doesn't have enough juice to fire up. My mechanic is swamped and he has not had a chance to even look at it. I'll keep everyone posted but was wondering if anyone has faced similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyX1 View Post
Appreciate your responding. Actually, it is not a manual, rather the 8 speed auto. I am not 100% sure I hit the rev limiter but I know the high speed warning would have gone off but unfortunately after sitting on road for 3 hours, battery doesn't have enough juice to fire up. My mechanic is swamped and he has not had a chance to even look at it. I'll keep everyone posted but was wondering if anyone has faced similar.
I don't think you can hit the rev limiter in an auto ? I could be wrong, but when I drove my X1 home (~2,400 km) I had to do a lot of pedal-to-the-floor passing as most of the time the highway is only single lane, and you have to pass lots of RVs and 5th wheels heading to Alaska for vacation. Not once did I ever hit a rev limiter. If it is possible, it would be the first automatic transmission I know of that allows you to.

Anyways, regardless, even if you did hit the rev limiter, I don't think that should have caused the shut down you experienced.

You said you got "weird flashing". Like a flashing CEL ? Like this:

???

If so, that means serious misfire detected. This CAN cause a loss of perceived engine power. In really bad scenarios, it can cause the engine to shut off / not stay running. In some cases, this is due to ignition coils / coil packs going bad. In BMWs, we have what's called a coil-on-plug, meaning the ignition coil is attached to the spark plug. In many other vehicles, the ignition coil rests elsewhere in the engine bay, and you have spark plug wires that go from the coils to the spark plugs. My wife had a Saturn Ion a few years back. One day, we're driving along at city speeds, all of a sudden the car starts jerking back and forth violently and the CEL starts flashing. Pulled over to the sidewalk and the engine stalled out. Took a couple cranks but we got it going again, but horrible idle and very jumpy RPMs (had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling at stop signs / red lights). Took it in to the mechanic's and turns out one coil pack was totally dead (it was a 4 cylinder engine).

Another possibility is that your alternator has failed. If that happens, your car will keep running and using the battery to keep all the electronics alive. Once the battery gets too low in voltage, systems shut down and bam, engine shuts down and you're dead in the water. This would also light up your dash indicator lights like a Christmas tree. Had this happen on a Ford Focus once.

Again though, without knowing what exactly what was "flashing" on your dash, it might not be either of the above scenarios.

Last edited by Yukoner; 06-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: z3 bmw 1.9
Quote:
Anyone have any insight in what happened? Appreciate.
A couple of things to considered...if it is the battery, check all your body grounds for corrosion, loose or broke. The other it has to do with the turbo's lubrication oil line, the old line would accumulate fod the replacement line should have a check valve incorporate for that reason.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I had a similar experience two weeks ago and it turned out to be the ground strap going from the frame to the engine it was green and fell apart in my hands while I was removing the old one. It is under the panels so you will have to remove them on my 2012 I had them off anyway so I could get it into neutral before it was towed home.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft1964 View Post
I had a similar experience two weeks ago and it turned out to be the ground strap going from the frame to the engine it was green and fell apart in my hands while I was removing the old one. It is under the panels so you will have to remove them on my 2012 I had them off anyway so I could get it into neutral before it was towed home.

Thanks for reply, my mechanic so far has said battery won't charge up to 50% so is starting that the battery is toast. Was your battery indicating such that it wouldn't take charge and immediately at the time of your failure was your battery very hot?

I will pass on the information. Appreciate any further deatils on location. Appreciate. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for reply, my mechanic so far has said battery won't charge up to 50% so is starting that the battery is toast. Was your battery indicating such that it wouldn't take charge and immediately at the time of your failure was your battery very hot?

I will pass on the information. Appreciate any further deatils on location. Appreciate. Thank you.

No at first I thought my battery was the problem so I put a maintenence charger on it and gave it a good charge and I then load tested it and mine is still good but I did read on one of these that BMW ‘s smart charging system keeps the battery at 80% for longer battery life that is why you should have the battery coded to the car by your dealer. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 PM

Battery failing can / will illuminate all kinds of warning lights and cause erratic behaviour of the vehicle. Make sure your replacement battery is coded to the car. It cannot be simply swapped out.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Mechanic put in new battery and said no difference. I need to check with him tomorrow to ensure he had it coded to the car. He now has on hoist so going to check a ground cable that I found from another owner experience that had similar result. As soon as I hear anything concrete I'll post. Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM

Just thought I would post an update. New battery installed and engine will still not turn over. According to my mechanic the timing chain looks good so he's starting to remove belts to see if something is come off. But this time it looks like the engine is frozen up . Anyone got any hints on this situation?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Update- Basically the engine is seized. Phoned the BMW dealer 45 minutes away and asked about any kind of warranty and was told over limit (117,000 kms or approved 70,000 miles). I strongly suggested that a BMW should not seize at this low mileage and Service Advisor was very good and said would need to see car so back onto flat bed and off for evaluation. I'm nervous and upset at same time because there is something defective which caused the failure. So for now I have no wheels and at the mercy of BMW Canada to hopefully acknowledge the issue is something in the motor or related system causing the problem. Will keep everyone posted as things progress.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:34 AM

Sorry to hear that yes I would really like to here the results hopefully it is not that serious.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Definitely keep us posted.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 PM

What year is your X1?

Old 07-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft1964 View Post
What year is your X1?

2012 X1 2.8 X-Drive (Canada)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
2012 X1 2.8 X-Drive (Canada)

Same as mine I only have 95000 km on ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Did your mechanic confirm all the drive belts were fine / where they were supposed to be ? Going back over the entire thread, what happened to you sure sounds like your belt shredded (your instant loss of power, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, etc). I'd also be interested in knowing the details behind your mechanic determining that the engine is seized. I say this because I'm surprised your mechanic would have just tried starting the engine without a full visual inspection of everything (if a belt shredded and got sucked into the engine, starting it could cause serious, further damage). Of course I'm basing all this on your posts, so I may be interpreting wrong / not having all the relevant information.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I"m pretty confident he tried all belts and inspected. He even dumped the oil to ensure there was lots in the pan, there was. As far as seizing he put a tool on the engine (I don't know the mechanical part) trying to turn motor manually and wouldn't budge either way. I'm pretty confident he attempted to diagnose the most obvious mechanical reasons but said best bet is to get it to BMW and hopefully help you out.

Now the wait begins. If dealer says no assistance, anyone got any advice pushing it further up the chain at BMW Canada? Appreciate any guidance.
OK. I would have presumed so, but again, not enough info.

Are you the sole owner of the vehicle since new ? How many km on it ? At what mileage did you buy it at, if you aren't the first owner ?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
a seized engine? wow that is huge thing.

i do want to know what broke inside the engine.

how hard do you drive this car in the regular bases? have all maint been always up to date?

or just got the short end of the stick ?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
a seized engine? wow that is huge thing.

i do want to know what broke inside the engine.

how hard do you drive this car in the regular bases? have all maint been always up to date?

or just got the short end of the stick ?
Still waiting on BMW dealer on what was cause and if they are going to help. As far as my driving habits I am 60 years old so I don't drag race it or go to track. It has always been maintained by BMW and at service intervals. Anyway, patiently waiting for prognosis and hopefully BMW will deliver.

I believe there was in my year of manufacture an issue with timing guides but my VIN doesn't/didn't qualify but I know how manufacturers statistically minimize theirs recalls such that there are some that would qualify but statistically they may or may not fail so they (e.g. BMW) deal with any failures if and when they occur. I hope my engine was one of theses outliers and I get satisfaction. This should not happen in such a low mileage performance vehicle (engine).
Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Still waiting on BMW dealer on what was cause and if they are going to help. As far as my driving habits I am 60 years old so I don't drag race it or go to track. It has always been maintained by BMW and at service intervals. Anyway, patiently waiting for prognosis and hopefully BMW will deliver.

I believe there was in my year of manufacture an issue with timing guides but my VIN doesn't/didn't qualify but I know how manufacturers statistically minimize theirs recalls such that there are some that would qualify but statistically they may or may not fail so they (e.g. BMW) deal with any failures if and when they occur. I hope my engine was one of theses outliers and I get satisfaction. This should not happen in such a low mileage performance vehicle (engine).
It had crossed my mind that the timing system failure grenaded your engine (it's rare, but it DOES happen). Keep us posted when you hear back from the dealer.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X1 X28i
Hope BMW will cover the repair on your ride.

If its the timing chain guide snap and clot you should get total loss of power right away. It sounded very similar to what you described.

I had the same year and model as your car with close to 80,000 km on it.

Sent from my SM-G935K using Bimmerfest mobile app

JB

Last edited by E84N20; 07-04-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Any updates ?

Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 PM

I Spoke to the BMW dealer on Monday who told me later that day it was going into the shop as they've had a quite a backlog. I called this morning (Friday) as I hadn't heard anything all week and unfortunately the Service manager was in a meeting but I left a message. Anyway, it is now after 8 PM and I did not hear back all day so the way I'm looking at it is no news is good news so maybe I'll hear something Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed .

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search