How many quart for a drain and fill of the transmission? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:00 PM
mreric mreric is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
How many quart for a drain and fill of the transmission?

to those DIY people that have done a drain and fill of the tranny.

about how many quart came out during the process?

just need to know how much to buy.

thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
to those DIY people that have done a drain and fill of the tranny.

about how many quart came out during the process?

just need to know how much to buy.

thanks
I did a spill and fill of the "fill" plug only. It was just under 4 Liters.
If I drained everything out from the drain plug, it may have been another 4 liters.
I would have to check my laptop for the exact fluid capacities.

This DIY sucks. You have to do the final fill with the car running, and the exhaust is right there next to the fill plug.
__________________
2013 X1
MinGrey,Xenon,HK,PwrSeats,Sirius,XLine,Nav
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 PM
mreric mreric is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
I did a spill and fill of the "fill" plug only. It was just under 4 Liters.
If I drained everything out from the drain plug, it may have been another 4 liters.
I would have to check my laptop for the exact fluid capacities.

This DIY sucks. You have to do the final fill with the car running, and the exhaust is right there next to the fill plug.
my plan first is to just replace some of the old fluid with new fluid, i made a pretty good pump with a home depot sprayer. I am think i will do it cold and measure how much came out and replace it with the same amount.

Last edited by mreric; 08-14-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 PM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
This is the pump I used.
Bought from a local auto store, not from amazon. I believe it's also the same pumped used by the FCP Euro guys who make very nice youtube videos on BMW powertrain fluid changes.
(by the way, the smaller hose attachment works well for sucking fluid out of the rear diff and transfer case.)




The main problem with the transmission fluid change is that for some reason the car needs to be running. I guess a pump somewhere will draw fluid from the main pan and bring it up into the gear box.

If you drain the whole thing, you could be looking at close to 8 liters. I think the spec sheet is around 9.
Anyway, you can do a cold spill and get most of it out, but it's the fill part that is scary. You can only get so many liters in cold before it starts to drip out the fill plug. The rest has to be done with the car running.
And it's a strange experience to start a car with the fill plug out of the transmission.
I think I even remember my iDrive going nuts about low transmission oil or something before I crawled underneath and starting pumping in the last 4 Liters of oil.

If I were to do it again, I might have a beer buddy helping that can start and stop the car for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	812644  
__________________
2013 X1
MinGrey,Xenon,HK,PwrSeats,Sirius,XLine,Nav
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM
mreric mreric is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
This is the pump I used.
Bought from a local auto store, not from amazon. I believe it's also the same pumped used by the FCP Euro guys who make very nice youtube videos on BMW powertrain fluid changes.
(by the way, the smaller hose attachment works well for sucking fluid out of the rear diff and transfer case.)




The main problem with the transmission fluid change is that for some reason the car needs to be running. I guess a pump somewhere will draw fluid from the main pan and bring it up into the gear box.

If you drain the whole thing, you could be looking at close to 8 liters. I think the spec sheet is around 9.
Anyway, you can do a cold spill and get most of it out, but it's the fill part that is scary. You can only get so many liters in cold before it starts to drip out the fill plug. The rest has to be done with the car running.
And it's a strange experience to start a car with the fill plug out of the transmission.
I think I even remember my iDrive going nuts about low transmission oil or something before I crawled underneath and starting pumping in the last 4 Liters of oil.

If I were to do it again, I might have a beer buddy helping that can start and stop the car for me.
thank you for the tip !!!


anyone else that has done this please let us know, the more tips we have the more it helps everyone
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.