Object hit and cracked windshield. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Object hit and cracked windshield.

Itís started at the bottom and has spread all the way up. Itís just right of center so itís not in my field vision. The window is also tinted. A few questions for the experts here:

1). I have to drive it home (from Nashville to North Florida). I have things I must do so Iím wondering if it will get me there without blowing out

2). I donít trust the shady glass company my insurance company (USAA) uses and want to get BMW to do it with OEM glass. How hard will that be to convince them? Will ever ďbe the sameĒ afterwards?

3). A part (looked like a bolt) bounced off an 18 wheeler in front of us. We got his numbers, any point in trying to get him to pay?

I think the rumors of low quality glass in BMWís may have some validity considering how it spread.

Thanks in advance. Yíall be some Rawk stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
The reality is that cracks in windshields can quickly spread. Cars flex when driven adding stress to the windshield.

Windshields don't "blow out". You can drive for months with broken automotive glass.

You may have to contribute out of pocket if you want the dealer to replace the glass with OEM. Depends on your coverage and insurance company.

Last, If the bolt was on the ground and was kicked up by the truck, why would they be liable? If it fell out of the trucks trailer, that's a different story.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Most BMW dealers don't do their own glass. They outsource it. Ask them who they use and maybe your insurance will let you use them. Next, change your insurance company. I have had my 435i windshield change and it was just like the one which came with the car, but within a month it was hit with another rock. Seems like every time I get a new windshield it quickly gets hit again and then I don't need to worry about it any longer.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 AM

Scott, yes it fell directly off the truck.
Khammack: thanks, they used original glass?
No leaks, or whistles? Iíve heard nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 440i GC xDrive
I've had multiple windshields replaced or repaired. I generally find out who the dealer subs it to and I always prefer to have OEM glass as well be it a BMW or other brand. I have, on two occassions, had to pay the difference to the OEM glass.

Getting the trucking company to pay will be very difficult without some sort of evidence. Trucks generally have a posted sign to stay back 50ft, 100ft or more as well. It wouldn't hurt to make an attempt, I guess, other than wasted time. I would advise the insurance company and then let them pursue it if they want to.

Florida is a zero deductible glass insurance state with comprehensive anyway. Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers in Florida to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible. Many insurance companies will allow up to 3 glass claims over a period of time before raising rates, though not sure about that with USAA.

Like Mr. Stott stated, it won't 'blow out'. It would basically just be weaker if you had an accident. There are people I work with that have had full cracks for years. Literally. If it doesn't obstruct your vision, you should have no trouble from law enforcement.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 08-24-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I've had several BMW windshields replaced ..... in my driveway by a good local Indy glass guy ...... they get Pilkington glass ...... never a problem ...... dealer is the most expensive place to get a new windshield ....... they just outsource to a glass company and charge double or more!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Old 08-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Had my new BMW windshield replaced. BMW does not replace their own glass but they use Safelite. My only recommendation is that you tell them you want OEM glass and they will get it. ALSO, go to the shop to get it done . the tracking for forward collision, blindspot, Nav etc needs to be calibrated and they cant do it in the field. The glass is great, not issues and def OEM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
And, if you live in florida, it is 100% covered under insurance, state law
Old 08-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 328d xDrive Sedan
If the car is leased or you want to sell it soon, just get a generic brand as no one cares. But for sure OEM would be better. If your insurance has the right coverage, you can get the OEm without spending too much money.

Also if you have the Connected Drive camera, make sure the shop knows how to deal with that and aligned them properly. I'd say ask your dealership if they know a glass shop and recommend them.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
Scott, yes it fell directly off the truck.
Khammack: thanks, they used original glass?
No leaks, or whistles? I've heard nightmares.

In my case they used BMW glass, but you need to ask to make sure. I didn't have any issues with the new glass at all. I have also had other glass in other cars changed out by Safelite with no issues too.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
Next, change your insurance company.
I've been insured by USAA for >40 years with no problems. They prefer you use Safelite, just as insurance companies have "preferred" body shops. I tell them where I want to take the car (a friend has a glass shop that participates with USAA), and get the dealer-sourced glass if that's what I want & pay the price difference (I've used OEM Pilkington in the past on another car). I have $0 deductible on glass.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i F25 N52
I've been with USAA over 35 years, I've had two windshields replaced, both times they used Safelite. When they replaced the windsheild in my Jeep Wranger, I did have problems with the inner seal, Safelite ended replacing the windshield three times before it was correct. Safelite was using aftermarket seals, and once they used OE it was fine. In my dealings with USAA, they have always been super responsive and very good to deal with.

The windshield was replaced in my X3 before I purchased it, I suspect this was during CPO resale. Pilkington was used, the glass color matches the rest of the windows, I don't see any waves or blurring spots.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancityy View Post
If the car is leased or you want to sell it soon, just get a generic brand as no one cares. But for sure OEM would be better. If your insurance has the right coverage, you can get the OEm without spending too much money.

Also if you have the Connected Drive camera, make sure the shop knows how to deal with that and aligned them properly. I'd say ask your dealership if they know a glass shop and recommend them.
At least in the US, the windshield is something they will check on lease return, so "no one cares" is not an accurate statement as far as a vehicle that has to go through the lease return process.

Maybe its different in Canada.

On the USAA insurance front, I WISH I could use them, but I dont meet the criteria. I know several people who have them and the stories when they need to use their USAA insurance are always glowing.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 08-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 72' 3.0CS, 13" X1, 14' X1
I'll tell you my story. My wife looked at her driveway parked, 2016 leased X1's windshield and there was a 3" split starting below where the rear view mirror is attached. I took a look at the crack and there is no evidence that anything hit the windshield. It looks like some kind of stress fracture. The dealer said glass is not a warranty item and the replacement cost was $2,000+. I won't bore you with either the insurance side of things or the repair.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Object hit and cracked windshield.

Just call Safelite and have them repair it. $400 youíre good to go. OEM glass isnít worth it. Also ask the safelite guy for a can of glass cleaner. Thatís good stuff!

Old 08-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
If youíre planning on paying out of pocket to get a your windshield replaced at a BMW dealership be prepared for sticker shock. The windshield cracked on a loaner in my possession from the dealer and I didnít have glass protection on my insurance. Naturally since it was the dealers car they wanted to replace the windshield. I was quoted $1,600 from the SA. But after pleading with the manager he dropped it to half price. But they never charged me anyway, or forgot too. Either way I got lucky. Anyway, youíre gonna pay ALOT more than you should at the dealer.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
2). I donít trust the shady glass company my insurance company (USAA) uses and want to get BMW to do it with OEM glass. How hard will that be to convince them? Will ever ďbe the sameĒ afterwards?
You can't get what you don't ask for, and none of us work for USAA in the claims department on your case, so asking here is rather fruitless.

Quote:
3). A part (looked like a bolt) bounced off an 18 wheeler in front of us. We got his numbers, any point in trying to get him to pay?
no, because windshield claims like these are covered under comprehensive or separate windshield rider, not collision. You'd be hard to prove a small object was part of the truck, but if a piece of the truck hit you, then you potentially could claim as collision.

Quote:
I think the rumors of low quality glass in BMWís may have some validity considering how it spread.
Define low quality. That object could have hit at a different angle and just ricocheted off your windshield leaving no damage. Just because something hit your BMW windshield and caused a crack does not mean the glass is low quality.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
LOL. An expensive BMW but SafeLite is good enough.

Window glass, particularly the windshield, is integral to BMW body stiffness and BMW's replacement criteria are quite stringent. But SafeLite is good enough.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
LOL. An expensive BMW but SafeLite is good enough.

Window glass, particularly the windshield, is integral to BMW body stiffness and BMW's replacement criteria are quite stringent. But SafeLite is good enough.
Can you post these stringent criteria? And why an aftermarket windshield wonít meet them?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:04 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
General procedure for the disassembly and installation of bonded window glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Can you post these stringent criteria? And why an aftermarket windshield wonít meet them?
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F36 430i Coupe / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window / 51 31 ...General procedure for the disassembly and installation of bonded window glass

With internal links to bonding material, application, set-up, special tools and jigs.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...indow/HHsM71fO
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F36 430i Coupe / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window / 51 31 ...General procedure for the disassembly and installation of bonded window glass

With internal links to bonding material, application, set-up, special tools and jigs.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...indow/HHsM71fO
Thank you.

That's typical installation instructions for any car windshield. It says nothing about the windshield itself. And that applies to the installer who is not going to be a BMW service tech, but will be a contractor.

I don't believe a quality aftermarket windshield properly installed will perform any differently than an OEM BMW windshield. I've used Safelite in the past, or a company contracted by them who came to my home to install a new windshield on my current vehicle. The job was done to very high standards and 10,000 miles later it has performed flawlessly.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:43 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
SafeLite. They can use BMW glass. They understand that BMW owners have OCD.

I don't know how the F30 windshield goes in, but I picked up BMW top and bottom seals for my E9x at the dealer and that made the tech happy. (They were about $20 IIRC and SafeLite would have charged me for aftermarket seals anyway. A couple of $ more is a small price to pay to avoid a trip back to repair a leaky windshield.)
2008 E91 30K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 218K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 08-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: ~
There is nothing magical about BMW OEM parts. They are obtained from the same sources as other manufacturers.

It is not like the workers at a supply plant think: "Make sure you are extra careful making these bolts. They are for BMW."
Old 08-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
There is nothing magical about BMW OEM parts. They are obtained from the same sources as other manufacturers.
It is not like the workers at a supply plant think: "Make sure you are extra careful making these bolts. They are for BMW."
True, but aftermarket glass can be made to different tolerances, be thinner, or dimensionally wrong. Aftermarket moldings are often inferior.
A bolt isn't always just a bolt - needs to be comparable in ultimate strength of the material & proper ratio of yield stress to ultimate strength.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search