First Oil Change - Lessons Learned - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 640i, 2014 X1
First Oil Change - Lessons Learned

Just finished changing the oil in my 2014 X1. Like anything the first time is a learning experience. The first thing I did was watch the You Tube videos on line. Thought it would help knowing what tools are needed and anything else different. First video said the drain plug uses an 8 mm Allen wrench, wrong, my is a 10 mm Allen Wrench.

I was also surprised when I found that the drain plug is plastic, but seems to be designed so it can not be over tightened. This drain plug is quite large, maybe 1" in diameter and uses a rubber o-ring, not a copper washer. Of course the Mann filter I bought did not come with this O-ring. With such a large size plug, the oil drains very quickly, so your drain pan may not be able to accept such a large flow, and spill over.

With the oil filter, I would suggest getting one of these large caps that fit on the cover, or you will need a very large pair of channel locks, which could damage the cover. After draining all the oil, I found that a couple of ounces would not drain out of the filter housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 AM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
The oil filter “kits”, i.e., the ones that come with the plastic drain plug, don’t seem to be widely available in brick and mortar stores other than BMW dealer parts departments. ECS Tuning has the “Genuine BMW” kit and amazon has the Mann kit. Ebay has a number of off brand/no brand kits for under $8, including shipping. Can’t imagine the circumstances where I personally would try one of those, but doesn’t mean they don’t do what they’re supposed to do without catastrophe. ECS also has the oil filter housing socket, as I'm sure other parts suppliers carry as well.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 640i, 2014 X1
Does the plastic drain plug have to be replaced. I put the original back in, but next time I will get a kit that comes with a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
My surprise was that my n20 xdrive has a metal oil pan and plug. But the oil came out so fast some shot over top the plastic under tray and made a mess
2015 x3 m sport SOLD
2008 X3 3.0si 6MT ///M-sport package SOLD
2008 M3 Coupe 6MT Jet Black SOLD
2008 X3 3.0si 6MT M sport SOLD
Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
My first change was with a angled 10mm hex key, and tricky.

So I looked at plastic plug at my computer, saw a 8 and ordered the 8mm hex socket.

WRONG!

The 8 marking is for tightening force of 8nm, and so then, I ordered the right 10mm hex socket.

It sorta is just a little over finger tight, and if you force socket just jumps out.

I just discovered after 5 years that although my s28i has plastic and holds 5 liters at change, the x28i is metal plug with 5.5 liters at change.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:49 AM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curttp View Post
Does the plastic drain plug have to be replaced. I put the original back in, but next time I will get a kit that comes with a new one.
A quick visual of the plastic plug I removed during my first DIY oil change and I was tempted to reuse it, it looked fine. But I had purchased the filter kit (i.e., comes with plug) so I just used the new one. Later found out (a) BMW TIS calls for replacing the plug each time, (b) a quick check with ECS Tuning and Pelican Parts gave the same info, (c) it's just as easy to order the filter kit as the filter alone online, although probably not quite as easy to find it at any brick and mortar except a dealership parts dept., and (d) it is relatively inexpensive to purchase a few plugs to keep on hand. Even though in my opinion it's probably OK to reuse the plug once or twice, my conclusion is, until I get further info, it is better to replace the plug each time.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Yes. IIRC x-drive X1s uses the regular metal drain plugs while the sDrive utilizes this plastic disposable plug. Not sure why... maybe for packaging purposes? Do the 1 and 3 series 2WD models also share the plastic drain plugs?
Personally I prefer the metal plugs.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search