R.I.P my 2002 X6, Bad piston? short video - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: lots of cars
R.I.P my 2002 X6, Bad piston? short video

While I don't post here much at all, I am running a nice 1997 E36 318ti with a downing Atlanta SC, A wonderful 1999 E39 528IT with 5 speed stick and up until a couple days ago my trusty 2002 E63 X5 with about 160K miles on it,
I maintain all of them with Mobile 1 and take good care, The 528it has about 190K and runs/drives like new, The E36 has slightly less miles, But still a good clean car,
I use the X5 for weekly use as I also drive a beater or two for work, Anyway, I was clearing out sunroof drains the other day on the X5 and 318ti and pulled the X5 out and let it warm up for 5 min while cleaning up from the small job and took it out for a couple mile ride to keep the juices flowing as I hadn't started it for a little over a week,
Started right up, Idles smoothly as usual and runs out fine, Was a few blocks from home after a couple mile suburban drive and I caught a whiff of oil smoke, Naturally I looked at the cars ahead of me and then shortly after noticed a trail of oil smoke behind me,, I went 2 more blocks and pulled into my driveway and pupped the hood to find oil all over the passenger side of engine, Thinking I lost a valve cover gasket,,, I did pop the oil fill while it was running and it hissed pretty loud when loosened, I waited for the hissing to stop and then took off and noted a LOT of blow by,
Ugh,
Engine sounds really nice still except for a slight drumming noise on front pass side of engine that my wife can't hear, Nor my closest co-worker and we all fix commercial HVAC and boilers,
This short video if the second time I pulled the dipstick in less than one minute,

The engine still starts instantly and sounds great!
I bought it as a dealer trade in 4 years ago with 95K, PO always dealer maintained down to wiper blades and they bought another X5, It not has just under 160k and I mostly used it for a bi-weekly drive to pisstburgh Pa, About 300 miles each way, Friday out and Monday back,
Never ran low on oil and never overheated in my term with it,
Sad to see her go,
BUT looks like a new engine is needed,
So ill have to let the X5 go,
I think I know whats wrong,
Any guesses?
Peter B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
- Bad piston is almost unheard of.

- Your problem is likely clogged CCV.

- Remove the Oil Filler Cap (where you normally add oil). Run the engine, if it is back to normal, then you have a blocked CCV system.

- Instead of going back to stock CCV, I modified it using Duralast PCV Valve.

- See post #164:

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...oblems-17.html

---> Please report back the outcome...
Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 PM

I understand the mod, BUT why would I be generating so much pressure in the engine? The pressure literally will blow the oil fill cap off the valve cover after idling for a minute or two, Seems like thats ALOT of pressure for a bit of blow by.
I can do bypass mod pretty fast,
I may pull plugs and look in cylinders and see if theres something to look at,
Old 01-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred View Post
I understand the mod, BUT why would I be generating so much pressure in the engine? The pressure literally will blow the oil fill cap off the valve cover after idling for a minute or two, Seems like thats ALOT of pressure for a bit of blow by.
I can do bypass mod pretty fast,
I may pull plugs and look in cylinders and see if theres something to look at,
CCV failure causes excess vacuum at the oil filler cap not pressure.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
CCV failure causes excess vacuum at the oil filler cap not pressure.
Thats what I am saying,
Ive played with a lot of cars and cycles and have done engine rebuilds,
In all the engines I've maintained, Ive never this kind of transformation between running the car and starting it a week later,
Seems very odd to me,
This 3.0 has always consumed a bit of oil, About 1 quart in 3000-4000 miles, and I blame that on old lady breaking it in, As my other two BMWs use zero oil,,
I bought this X5 over the V8 as I like the L6 simplicity and reliability,
Frankly Im looking at getting another X5 in the spring, But for now I think this bugger is done, And its a shame as I just put a new set of tires on it, Its been nothing but general maintenance for the past 60K miles,
Sad day.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
- Do a COMPRESSION Test, if you truly have blown piston, it will show on compression test.

- The piston rings in the M54 are known to be soft and stuck, so ---> more blow-by.
The mod I mentioned above will fix it, been there done that.

- Yes, CLOGGED CCV will cause excessive crankcase pressure!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&f=72&t=631742

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search