Adaptive Suspension - secondary, tertiary 'thump' - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 F36 430i MSPORT
Adaptive Suspension - secondary, tertiary 'thump'

Hi all,
I have a 2016 430i GC with adaptive suspension as part of a M-Sport pack. The car has 30,000kms on it.

In comfort mode, over slight unevenness in the road there is a secondary noise from the suspension. In Sport mode it is more noticeable and sometimes there is even a third 'thump' from the suspension. By slight unevenness, I mean where there is a join in the bitumen surface or a patch in the road, so pretty minor. It is not felt through the steering. Front tyres were Conti RFTs, recently replaced by Goodyear RFTs with no change to the noise. I have played with tyre pressures, no difference.

Over major bumps it doesn't seem to happen. There is one big 'thump' from the suspension and that's it.

It seems to me to be on the driver's side only, but then I'm driving the car so sitting on that side.

BMW have had the car five times, each time No Fault Found, they are all like that, greased sway bar bushes, checked the BMW reports database, etc, etc. On two occasions the tech in the car with me said, 'yep, I can hear that' but on return they were nowhere to be found. The techs turnover so quickly here that it's rare to see the same one at consecutive services. The final time the report was "the adaptive suspension is known to be noisy"; some endorsement for an AU$80,000 motor car.

I believe the 2016 year is after the problems with steering rack were sorted, and I have had a go-pro slung under the front when driving and couldn't see anything odd or hear anything over the road noise.

So, has anyone experienced this and can give me something concrete to take back to BMW? Or any tips to recreate the noise off the road?
Thanks,
Paul.
Adelaide, Australia.

Last edited by greenbeam63; 03-19-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam63 View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2016 430i GC with adaptive suspension as part of a M-Sport pack. The car has 30,000kms on it.

In comfort mode, over slight unevenness in the road there is a secondary noise from the suspension. In Sport mode it is more noticeable and sometimes there is even a third 'thump' from the suspension. By slight unevenness, I mean where there is a join in the bitumen surface or a patch in the road, so pretty minor. It is not felt through the steering. Front tyres were Conti RFTs, recently replaced by Goodyear RFTs with no change to the noise. I have played with tyre pressures, no difference.

Over major bumps it doesn't seem to happen. There is one big 'thump' from the suspension and that's it.

It seems to me to be on the driver's side only, but then I'm driving the car so sitting on that side.

BMW have had the car five times, each time No Fault Found, they are all like that, greased sway bar bushes, checked the BMW reports database, etc, etc. On two occasions the tech in the car with me said, 'yep, I can hear that' but on return they were nowhere to be found. The techs turnover so quickly here that it's rare to see the same one at consecutive services. The final time the report was "the adaptive suspension is known to be noisy"; some endorsement for an AU$80,000 motor car.

I believe the 2016 year is after the problems with steering rack were sorted, and I have had a go-pro slung under the front when driving and couldn't see anything odd or hear anything over the road noise.

So, has anyone experienced this and can give me something concrete to take back to BMW? Or any tips to recreate the noise off the road?
Thanks,
Paul.
Adelaide, Australia.
I have not but here is a suggestion. Take the same tech with you on a demo car from the dealership with the same suspension. If the car doesn't have the thump, then you should be able to convince him that your concern is real; if the car does have the thump, then it may be how it operates.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 M3, 11 X5d, 16 328d XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam63 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Paul.
Adelaide, Australia.
My first bit of NSS advice is to make sure there are no loose nuts or bolts and i mean checking with a tool and not your hands.

Next check your sway bar end links by removing both of them and support the sway bar at each point with zip ties so they don't hit or touch anything.

Test drive.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0951

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...l-bar/GzS7w3z4

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...l-bar/Gg84jCsS

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...l-bar/GaRkUrBv

Last edited by Jim E.; 03-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 F36 430i MSPORT
Just thought I'd post to say that finally (sob, finally!!!) this issue has been fixed by the dealer. Even though I demonstrated the clunk in the steering and showed them it didn't happen with a new 430 MSport in the showroom, they had a visiting expert tech from Melbourne check the car, then proudly told me there was a problem with a bush in the steering rack. The car went in for a day to have the bush replaced, at which time they discovered the tool needed was broken and then spent over a week trying to get a new tool in from Melbourne (less than 1000kms away!). So after eight return visits and then two weeks (!) in the shop, they told me they'd test-driven the car and the noise is gone (despite them not being able to hear the noise on three previous occasions before it was repaired!).

Unfortunately there is only one BMW dealer in my state so it's not an option to change dealers. Although, if they have to bring techs and tools over from Melbourne, maybe I should just drive to Melbourne and save them the hassle :-)

Thanks to everyone that responded, and to mtnbike (Chuck) that pointed me to the steering clunk. Without that I think we'd still be in the 'Road tested vehicle, no noise detected' loop.

PS - odd that I didn't receive a 'random' satisfaction survey email from the dealer after this episode....
Cheers,
Paul.
Adelaide, Australia

Last edited by greenbeam63; 06-03-2019 at 01:08 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search